A new 1/48 B-17!!

B-17 man

I have always had a hankering for ‘Bit O Lace’ since I saw it on an Airfix kit - I’m old enough to remember when it was first released. 😲

Judging by the waste windows, this version looks similar? Can ‘Bit O Lace’ be done from this kit?

PR

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

I have always had a hankering for ‘Bit O Lace’ since I saw it on an Airfix kit - I’m old enough to remember when it was first released. 😲

Judging by the waste windows, this version looks similar? Can ‘Bit O Lace’ be done from this kit?

PR

Hi  Peter Roberts, asked  ... more or less same question on Rumour thread, we cant do do"Bit O Lace" without extensive mods or something?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gooney Fan said:

Hello Peter

Unfortunately it can't because of the staggered waist windows and the Cheyenne modification to the tail emplacement on A Bit o Lace

I tried a similar thing with the Monogram release in 1975

Gooney Fan

All you’ll need for Bit O Lace is a Cheyenne tail turret - the real BOL has non-staggered 3 pane windows just as this new kit from HK depicts. 

1 hour ago, One 48 said:

Hi  Peter Roberts, asked  ... more or less same question on Rumour thread, we cant do do"Bit O Lace" without extensive mods or something?

As said above - if you can source an aftermarket Cheyenne turret you’re good to go. 

Koster did a set for the Monogram kit and so did Resin2detail, but both are hard to come by at the moment. 

I suspect HK will do a later G-version at some point anyway and then hopefully you’ll be able to do some cross-kitting...

• Like 2

Thank you - I thought the gunners windows looked similar but was aware some have staggered and some don't, along with all the other changes they made, including tail guns which could be different at different times on the same a/c - UGH!

Looks like Paragon have done a Cheyenne set as well but this also seems to be hard to find. Looks like a scratch build job. Or wait for re-issues or new options.

It also looks like the Cheyenne could have one or two guns - is that right? Photos I have seen are of restored a/c so I am a bit suspicious around authenticity. If either is an option, which for Bit O Lace or speculate. Photos I have are inconclusive. (lovely one of the a/c with a damaged tail but typically doesn't include the bit I want - the  guns!) 

PR

37 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

Thank you - I thought the gunners windows looked similar but was aware some have staggered and some don't, along with all the other changes they made, including tail guns which could be different at different times on the same a/c - UGH!

Looks like Paragon have done a Cheyenne set as well but this also seems to be hard to find. Looks like a scratch build job. Or wait for re-issues or new options.

It also looks like the Cheyenne could have one or two guns - is that right? Photos I have seen are of restored a/c so I am a bit suspicious around authenticity. If either is an option, which for Bit O Lace or speculate. Photos I have are inconclusive. (lovely one of the a/c with a damaged tail but typically doesn't include the bit I want - the  guns!) 

PR

Paragon did indeed do a Cheyenne turret but again these are like hen’s teeth nowadays. 

Regarding the gun question - both the earlier “stinger” turret and Cheyenne tails always carried twin .50cal guns. 

• Like 1