Bandai 1/48 Snowspeeder - COMPLETED

Cockpit installed...

CfVx20X.jpg

And then the colour coat on the hull, fuselage, body whatever you want to call it.  This thing is hard to paint, because the colour is near enough the same as the grey primer, which is near enough the same colour and the base plastic.  So to a simple man it all the same, and hard to tell where you have and haven't painted!

CxijRUm.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Top job on that canopy. 

extremely nice masking job, well done! I hear you about that grey on grey also hah. The good news is if you miss a spot it either won't be obvious, or you can call it weathering!

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  Progress so far, masked and painted the darker grey square at the front of the canopy (I'm going to mask and paint instead of applying the decals for the grey markings), and did some pre-shading on the engine assembly before attaching.  Will weather more as a whole so it all blends nicely at the end.

c7AxS7I.jpg

The rear is darker than it should be I think, because I intend to weather it with lighter greys on the edges, so it should look darker and mucky down inside.  That's the plan anyway, if it works out.

6v7ziEP.jpg

I'm also seriously tempted to have the tow rope deploying out of the back (it comes with one), even though Luke and Dak never actually got to fire theirs, because it'll look ace I reckon in the pose I intend to have it in when completed.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a minor break to take care of stuff in the run up to Christmas I'm making progress again now.  Construction is complete (apart from the rear gun), now ready for masking and painting of the medium grey panels.  Then the darker grey markings.  Then decals.  Then some chipping.  Then weathering and grime.  Bah, I thought I was close to finished.  Still, looks good :)

ZybMRKG.jpg

QrLP46H.jpg

• Like 7

Well, that was one hell of a masking job.  In hindsight I should have probably painted the medium grey first, then masked off those small areas for the light grey.  But hindsight is a wonderful thing when you're relatively new to a process, this being I think my second attempt at masking.

wJ9NmvA.jpg

Ni33NJf.jpg

Still, it worked out well.  Only minor bits of paint pulled off along one leading edge, and no overspray made it through to anywhere.  I can easily touch up the paint and then style it out with the weathering.

dB8IMEX.jpg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Only minor bits of paint pulled off along one leading edge, and no overspray made it through to anywhere.  I can easily touch up the paint and then style it out with the weathering.

When you touch up start with aluminum or steel. Then the light gray it will give the effect of worn and chipped paint. 

• Like 1

Rogue Leader markings finished, and in the background my hastily painted stunt double to practice some paint chipping on.  Next is to paint the red bits before applying the little detail decals.

624zajn.jpg

K3MMBby.jpg

• Like 4

Quite happy with myself, these are the left over decals as I painted as much detail as I could (aside from the 8 triangles in the bottom left that I have yet to apply, but it was getting to late and I'm at work this morning)

IVwgQPD.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so weathering is way harder than it looks.  I should be reasonably happy how it went for the first time, but its not great.  Still I'm declaring this one finished.  Will get some better pics tomorrow for the gallery.

Or453p7.jpg

• Like 6

• HoolioPaulio changed the title to Bandai 1/48 Snowspeeder - COMPLETED