Bandai 1/48 Snowspeeder - COMPLETED

I'm starting with my Snowspeeder kit as well, so please don't show me up @Valkyrie by making yours really really good OK :P .  This will be a first for me technically, as I've only ever weathered a kit once before.  I built Anakins Pod Racer back when TPM came out, and when I say I weathered it I basically dry brushed on some silver paint to look like scratches on some of the engine parts.  I'm just gonna do this OOB on its stand with weathering.  Not going to attempt a diorama just yet, but I'm contemplating trying to put some laser blast damage somewhere...

4xY6ji8.jpg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, zebra said:

Excellent choice - might be my favourite Star Wars vehicle - looking forward to your build.

Yes I've often thought about doing one in desert colors or something like Kashyyk or Scarif ? These were originally never meant for someplace like Hoth. Its even pointed out when the Deck officer tells Han solo in ESB that they're “having a hard time getting the speeders adjusted to the cold”. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes I've often thought about doing one in desert colors or something like Kashyyk or Scarif ? These were originally never meant for someplace like Hoth. Its even pointed out when the Deck officer tells Han solo in ESB that they're “having a hard time getting the speeders adjusted to the cold”. 

Great choice here, do not fear I know already yours will blow mine out the sky, mine will look like it’s been trampled by an AT-AT next to yours. I am going to try and build the one crewed by Wedge Antilles and Wes “Good shot” Janson....helmets may prove to be tricky. Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks all.

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmm, now there's an idea to make something different.  I often wondered where they used them previously.  Just miss-leading as they are branded as 'Snowspeeders' all over, but its technically a modified T-47 Airspeeder (according to StarWars.com), that as you quite rightly remind us were not well suited to the cold of Hoth.  I might do some research into the old cannon to see if their original uses are covered.  I assume that would still fit the bill, a fictional vehicle, in what if colours...

• Like 2

Well looking into it a bit more, it appears the T-41's original use was civilian, for towing cargo. The Rebels then modified them with canons etc and were clever enough to utilise the towing capabilities to trip AT-ATs over, but I haven't yet found info on alternate Rebel uses/colours. If I can't find any solid info, then I'll stick to Rogue Leader from ESB. I said I wouldn't do diorama, but I have an alternate idea I do ESB that will push me out of my comfort zone a little and learn something new, which I primarily what I wanted from the GB. I'm still mulling over ideas until we get to the official start date... 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Definitely if its in a book or movie or video game than you're all good. 

They had Airspeeders in Star Wars Battlefront on desert of jakku 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, moviedrone said:

There has been a LEGO version in desert colours, based on a prototype "Sandspeeder" that was made by Kenner Toys but never produced. Looking forward to this, I love T-47s.

Interesting info there, something I was not aware of. My initial thought would be maybe there were plans to use them on Tatooine in RoTJ that never made it to film. I assume even in the 80s toy manufacturers were designing toys before movies came out to get sales in ASAP. But I'm definitely going to look into it more... 

• Like 1

Well, late to the part as ever, but family life comes first.  Anywho, tonight I'm starting simple with the obligatory sprue shots, then a careful read of the instructions to get a build plan (what I'm going to assemble before painting, and what to paint before assembly etc.).

MZNRhAb.jpg

SDnjsgS.jpg

goAT5mJ.jpg

JTfOQA2.jpg

Usual Bandai quality, no flash found yet, no obvious seam lines at the moment, nice crisp detail.  Looking forward to this.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well this has been the slowest start to a model ever for me.  However, I have made some more progress, starting with priming some of the interior and rear plate in black.

fl7HJQp.jpg

Then I ran through my ESB DVD on the PC, taking screen shots of various angles of Luke's Speeder through the battle, for interior and exterior reference.  Although, the exterior was a lot harder to see.

Now I have decided to focus on the base to start with, so if needed I have somewhere to pop the model as construction progresses.  I plan to try shading for the first time.  Will prime in light grey, then spray some blue to create shadow effect in the dips etc, then go over with white.  This will be a learning process when I'm ready for paint.

But first I decided to fill in the little slots that allow the base plate to be connected to others.  It gives me another chance to play with my plasticard and get used to working with it more.

YvMGVr1.jpg

n5IN0TW.jpg

Ug9SJsg.jpg

When the cement has had time to fully cure I will fill and sand everything flush, and get it primed.

• Like 2

Slow progress, but I've sanded the base flush at the bottom (best I can tell until primer goes on), and filled.  Will give it a couple of days to set then sand smooth.  Well, hopefully smooth.

Rf66WOr.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well this really did stall while doing the Gundam, but I've made some progress on the base and finished.  My filling and sanding is still terrible, its one of my weak points.  Still not sure if its my technique, or the filler, but whenever I try sanding it smooth I seem to sand it back out of the gap!  I use Vallejo Acrylic Plastic Putty, and various grades of sandpaper.  Anywho, I gave up on getting them any smoother for now and had a go at pre-shading, another weak point as I've never tried it.  Need to work on my patter a bit more, and I think my beginners budget airbrush has finally shown its weakness as it was really hard to control a really fine spray for detail, but it seems to have worked to some degree.

bAlkzF1.jpg

It doesn't really show up on the photo very well, but its there.

ad1Ys74.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Still not sure if its my technique, or the filler, but whenever I try sanding it smooth I seem to sand it back out of the gap!  I use Vallejo Acrylic Plastic Putty,

The Vallejo putty is good for fine gaps and scratches but for a larger area’s. I would recommend something more like a Tamiya putty or squadron white if you can get it ? They're meant for deeper holes and bigger gaps. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The Vallejo putty is good for fine gaps and scratches but for a larger area’s. I would recommend something more like a Tamiya putty or squadron white if you can get it ? They're meant for deeper holes and bigger gaps. 

As Dennis says, get yourself a tube of Tamiya Basic for larger jobs, or use CA and sand it back soon after it's touch dry when it's still fairly soft :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

OK, now the Gundam is finished I've been making some progress on this.  Slow going, because rather than use the waterslides on the interior panels I decided to hand paint the detail.  Partly because there was so much raised detail on the parts I didn't think the waterslides would settle right, even with micro sol.  But mainly because I wanted to push myself.  They won't win any awards for neatness, and as always the macro photography really brings out the scruffyness, but I'm happy with what I have so far...

wL1MEth.jpg

ODlH0o8.jpg

YAMb42n.jpg

• Like 6

On 26/11/2019 at 19:26, Valkyrie said:

Yes they are much better than the decals, that’s a great job. Il post you mine to do please.

Ha haa, no promises I can get them done and returned before Christmas :P .  Many thanks for the kind comments.

Another first for me, albeit a small thing.  I'm going to try my hand at masking and painting the clear canopy instead of using the 2 piece one where the clear fixes inside the painted frame.  And if it doesn't work out too well, then I'll use the plan b parts...

5fXLARv.jpg

Also, after a minor faux pas with the boots, I'm pretty happy with how Luke and Dak turned out.  I've going for screen accuracy as much as I can, so have been working from screen caps from my Empire Strikes Back DVD, and for the pilots I was working from a group shot where all orange jump suit pilots had black boots.  Then looking through the instructions I saw they had Luke and Dak in white boots.  Re-checked ESB, and sure enough Luke and Dak appear to be the only 2 in white boots.  Quick couple of coats of white and they're good.  Quite happy with how I made the helmets look grubby, painted them a dark ready brown, then just 1 light coat of white over the top.

WcL2rMq.jpg

Boots might be a bit too clean looking now, will give them a quick grey wash to bring out some detail.

• Like 1

Yeah they look great with the wash. I seem to remember from my research that it’s black gloves and boots for X-Wing and grey/white boots and gloves for speeder? Think the group in the scene getting briefed by Leia are X-Wing pilots? Maybe? Might b wrong but these look great

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Yeah they look great with the wash. I seem to remember from my research that it’s black gloves and boots for X-Wing and grey/white boots and gloves for speeder? Think the group in the scene getting briefed by Leia are X-Wing pilots? Maybe? Might b wrong but these look great

Ahhh, of course.  That would make sense.  I get so wrapped up in the Snowspeeders I forget about X-Wings, thanks.

• Like 1