Starbuck’s Mk.VII Viper 8757 - 02/11 update

This is finally here, I have been waiting for this GB for a while now as it gives me a chance to build a few models I have been waiting to build.

This was actually the last one I acquired but one I had had my eyes on for a while.

IMG_3348-L.jpg

This is a simple but nicely moulded model which is also available from Revell. There is a place in the states where you can get this model and the PE bit for cheaper then the model on eBay (actually the model was cheaper than any of the Retells ones on evilBay!).

IMG_3597-L.jpg

IMG_3598-L.jpg

They even give you a choice of “chests” for the pilot……oh Starbuck!!! :wub:

IMG_3599-L.jpg

Nice instruction set as well.

IMG_3601-L.jpg

As the model is large-ish it’s crying out for extra detailing, and me being me……..   There are a couple of companies that do AM stuff for it. One being Green Strawberry who do a combined “FruitPACK” PE set which has the interior and exterior detail sets.

IMG_3347-L.jpg

This should be a nice fun GB to finish the year off for me, can’t wait to start.

• Like 9

Hello Rich welcome aboard, should be an interesting build. Choice of chests huh ? Id think that might go better with your helo-wash Hind build ? Watched the entire series both original and remake, much prefer the Mk.II’s over the Mk.VII’s but each to his own. 

Dennis

• Like 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle there just for you again, and a larger copy this time! :D

Hind%20washing-XL.jpg

No for me the MK.VII just looked so much cooler, but you know I'll probably be tempted to get a Mk.II later on to go with her, Plus there's some nice AM stuff from the same company to go with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I couldn't help myself, have now bought the Viper Mk. II plus Green Strawberry PE set and replacement exhaust nozzles!

I won't be building it for this unless I complete the other 3 first.

Oh and I may be adding lighting to this beastie, Starbuck needs light to check her hair & makeup! :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

@Corsairfoxfouruncle there just for you again, and a larger copy this time! :D

Hind%20washing-XL.jpg

No for me the MK.VII just looked so much cooler, but you know I'll probably be tempted to get a Mk.II later on to go with her, Plus there's some nice AM stuff from the same company to go with it.

When are we doing an official charity/fundraiser Countryfile style britmodeller Christmas calendar....June or July here!

loved BSG when I was small, really don’t remember these at all but looking forward to seeing them

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

loved BSG when I was small, really don’t remember these at all but looking forward to seeing them

I did to but these are from the re-make series. If you've not seen it yet it is a good one to watch. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_(2004_TV_series)

Dennis

• Thanks 1

I’ve made a sort of start on this build, sort of as a break from the Hind and the million bits of tiny PE!!! I may do a bit more on the Hind before I go full on with the builds in this GB.

So first job is to start the cockpit, which involves replacing the model’s one with one made from PE!!! :wall:

First up just a quick shot of the said PE, interior set…..

IMG_3623-L.jpg

….exterior set, the wheel skid wells are fully detailed…..

IMG_3624-L.jpg

…and a absolutely awesome instruction sheet, all the other manufactures should take note!

IMG_3625-L.jpg

So after sticking my fingers together a couple of times I have this.

IMG_3627-L.jpg

It’s quite a bit different from the supplied one. I probably should have painted some bits first but then I would have had issues with the glue holding it together. There are still lots of panels to be fitted and they can all be done seperately.

Plus the engine “exhausts” have some internal detail as well to be added.

IMG_3628-L.jpg

I was/am sort of thinking about fitting some lights inside but I’m not sure how easy/hard it’ll be with the PE cockpit. Will have a bit more of a think about it.

• Like 4

the PE is actually quite nice but some of the folding is a bit complex, the centre console especially. 

I have though about soldering but you'd really need some sort of jig to hold the whole thing together, or be an octopus!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok its taken awhile but an update on this one. 

This is actually not the easiest of builds, again like the Mk.II Viper the parts count is low the fit in a lot of places is not the best, and to go from a toy build to a proper model build does take quite a bit of work I’ve found!

The engines needed some new PE bits fitted and you needed to grind some plastic out per the instructions. Don’t do it!!! They have you grind away way to much plastic as I found out….and the PE inserts don’t really fit!

On top of this you have to cut some small plastic bits off the end of each exhaust and replace them with time PE bits…don’t! The PE bits are tiny and break off as soon as you look at them. The easier option would have been to carefully sand them back to reduce their thickness. I didn’t figure this out until I cut them all off!

IMG_3836-L.jpg

IMG_3837-L.jpg

I think the ones on the baby Viper ones look much better….can’t beat good resin casting!

IMG_3795-L.jpg

The rear spine and tail unit were built up, again the fit here isn’t the best and required work to get everything to fit nicely. Some Filler was required.

IMG_3798-L.jpg

IMG_3833-L.jpg

The cockpit was fitted, it’s not finished but what’s required can be done with it fitted. That cockpit was a nightmare!!

Then the fuselage closed up, it sort of looks ok from the top…….

IMG_3838-L.jpg

…..from the bottom another story!!!

IMG_3839-L.jpg

The join/s were horrendous! The gaps between the two fuselage sections were huge and the wings didn’t want to start together, they weren’t warped, they just kept spring apart. Glue, clamps and eventually CA glue was required to get them to stay in place. Gap filling CA glue was used because the gaps were so large and I was scared they may split again if I used just straight filler. I have used it after the initial sanding back of the joins.

Sitting all together it looks pretty nice but I really can’t believe what’s required to get her to this stage, it’d almost put off some younger modellers!

IMG_3841-L.jpg

IMG_3840-L.jpg

I haven’t mentioned or photographed the cockpit as I mentioned it’s a bit of a nightmare. A full PE cockpit sounds like a good idea at the time but give me a resin one any day! It’s been designed without the pilot being fitted and there’s really nothing to support it when you fit it!  I still have a bit to do on it but at least it won’t look so bad with the canopy fitted.

And finally all three together…..if only the 2 big ones had have been resin models!

IMG_3842-L.jpg

• Like 3

Ouch ... That's about all I can say. I agree it will put off younger modelers that expect an excellent fit. Though if they really want to model that is part of the learning curve. Learning how to go from an ok kit with gaps to a good kit without will take patience and practice. Some will make the trip and learn and be better modelers. Those that don't have patience will move onto other hobbies to there loss. 

Dennis