Tim's Lightning T66 - COMPLETED

Whetting you whistles with this Matchbox Lightning. . . .

IMG-20190830-233927-776.jpg

that I'm planning to corrupt.

Here are the parts.

Parts.jpg

Leftover decals from my recent Revell build.  I won't be using the kit decals

Decals.jpg

This kit was from a colleague,  he's just lost his father, for whom I had built some model Meteors, Harvards, and a Defiant.

This kit and a Revell Lightning were in his effects.   I'm thinking of you John.

• Like 1

Whilst we are waiting for the off, here are my other builds of this Two-Seater kit.

First as USAF what-if - built 1998.

Matchbox-Lightning-USAF.jpg

Same model other side, a US Navy what if.

Matchbox-Lightning-USNavy2.jpg

Hold that two schemes, one model idea - it's part of my plan.

Next a Fleet Air Arm Lightning - built 2003.  Another what-if.

Matchbox-Lightning-VGphoto2.jpg

This paper project never actually got off the drawing-board - but had variable-geometry.

Matchbox-Lightning-VGphoto3.jpg

And an RAF T5 conversion built 2003

Matchbox-Lightning-T5-Port.jpg

using Airfix Lightning F3 belly-tank, and wings.

Matchbox-Lightning-T5-Stbd.jpg

• Like 5

TwistedNews brings you this late update:

In 1985 as part of the agreement to sell the Panavia Tornado to the RSAF, the 22 flyable Lightnings were traded in to British Aerospace and returned to Warton in January 1986.

While BAe touted the ex-Saudi Lightnings worldwide, no sales were made, and they were eventually disposed of to museums.

The dual-seat T-55 aircraft were a different story, and quickly snapped up by the RAF, following refit by British Aerospace. 

Here was a combat capable trainer aircraft, with the performance and capability of their Lightning F6 - and more.

These aircraft received the RAF designation Lightning T66.

Distributed to existing RAF Squadrons, which by 1986, was just No5,  and No11 Squadrons - you're going to see both insignias.

By 1986 the RAF was maintaining a permanent presence in Oman, to support local forces in detering escalation of the Iran Iraq conflict.

Thus aircraft were professionally repainted in a desert scheme prior to deployment.

Additional commitments to the North, particulary reinforcement of Norway, continued - and the Lightning force had their part to be played.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 2:34 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Have to wonder if the stubby wings would work though ?

The basic concept seems to have worked well enough for Sukhoi to create the Su-17/20/22 family. 

Cracking builds all, Tim! What RoG boxing (Hasegawa? Matchbox? RoG repopped both) are those 11 Squadron decals from?, I may have to hunt one down just for those. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

I like what you're doing with this Tim, keen to see it come in. That Hu 11 looks a bit on the grainy side, I must say my new tin, same colours as your one, doesn't brush out anything like as well as my old & much treasured tin which has finally expired. :( 

Steve.

46 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Tried looking at this in both FireFox and MS Edge but can not see the images, only place holders :(

Hi Robert, just tried MS edge, pics display fine, suggest check your browsers (disk clean up) and refresh.

All the best Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1