Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1 Corsair - Newbie looking for feedback

2 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

I don't know what you were doing in the 20 years you took off modelling, but you were wasting your time.

Excellent stuff!

Thank you very much for the compliment FatFlyHalf!

Now that you mentioned it, I really don't know why I didn't keep it up and I do regret it, but hey, even this is better then never. :) Loving it again!

Got a lot to learn and catch up. Looking forward to it!!! :)

Best,

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov

2 hours ago, Roberto said:

I like your work!

Since you asked...Maybe the aerial is too thick, but it could be the pics?

Waiting for other works from you!

Hi Roberto,

Thank you very much.

You are right, I should have used a thinner wire. Gorby told me where to look for some good threads.

Best,

Nikola

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice. A newbie? Really? 

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thank you! 

I am not completely new to the hobby, but it's been a long long time since I built anything. I used to build models earlier until I was 15 maybe, but then I stopped for a long time and recently got back to it, and I am loving it again!!!. :)

Now it is much easier with all the YouTube videos, forums like this and other tutorials, so I am picking it up again and learning a lot.

Also, I have an airbrush now so it is so much fun!

This is my second model which I weathered. 

Regards,

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov

Would be interested in hearing other people's techniques with decanting & thinning hairspray for airbrushing as a chipping medium. 

I haven't personally investigated but there must be a dedicated airbrush product for this. Must look it up!

Martin

14 hours ago, Toryu said:

- The early Corsairs used salmon (pink) primer and not chromate yellow/green and the wheel well/door insides were painted in the exterior grey colour; cockpit dark green and black.

Nicola,That's also what I wanted to say; your 2nd airbrushed model also  sure looks a darn sight better than my 2nd effort. Very nice birdcage! Keep  'em coming, and Gary B is right on the money about BM being the website with incredibly skilled modelers who go out of their way to share their references and techniques. Can't really tell from your photos, but the cowling interior should be Grumman grey, which is close to  light gull grey,  FS 26440, in case you didn't know. I am impressed that you got the angle of the inner main gear doors perpendicular to the gull wing and not vertical, as so many have done. Bonus points! 👍

Mike

• Like 1

Really good model. From the photos it looks like the paint is a little too thick (I can see some grain or orange peel like through the photos, but maybe is the photo resolution) if it's the case I would suggest you to thin the paint a little bit more and apply more light coats instead of 1 thick coat.

Overall is a very solid effort.

Cheers

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

the inner main gear doors perpendicular to the gull wing

Afaik, the inner gear doors, when open, were a fraction angled towards the outer doors, i.e. appeared just slightly closed. When I’ve got a minute I need to check actual pictures.

Cheers, Michael

4 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Afaik, the inner gear doors, when open, were a fraction angled towards the outer doors, i.e. appeared just slightly closed. When I’ve got a minute I need to check actual pictures.

Cheers, Michael

Whoops! I misspoke. What I meant to say was the inner main gear doors were canted in  as seen from the front so they were vertical, NOT perpendicular to the lower surface of the gull wing section...my bad, Toryu! (Now I'm going to have @Corsairfoxfouruncle all over my 'six!)

Mike

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Whoops! I misspoke. What I meant to say was the inner main gear doors were canted in  as seen from the front so they were vertical, NOT perpendicular to the lower surface of the gull wing section...my bad, Toryu! (Now I'm going to have @Corsairfoxfouruncle all over my 'six!)

Mike

Its a common mistake people make, i gave up nitpicking over it back in my contest days. 

2 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Really good model. From the photos it looks like the paint is a little too thick (I can see some grain or orange peel like through the photos, but maybe is the photo resolution) if it's the case I would suggest you to thin the paint a little bit more and apply more light coats instead of 1 thick coat.

Overall is a very solid effort.

Cheers

Hi ArmouredSprue, 

The coat finish could certainly use improvement. How much do you thin the paint? U used Tamiya and thinned it down to 50:50. I was thinking maybe to use flow improver and a bit of clear coat on the next build to make it smoother and more transparent so I can work in layers. Any thoughts on that? 

Thanks, 

Nikola

23 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Bob,

Which wire gauge do you use for 1/72, if you use wire? Or any other suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Also, for the tyres, do you sand them or heat them and then press on them slightly to get the deflation effect?

Thanks,

Nikola

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Nikola, as mentioned by others on this site, there is the Uschi rigging thread (www.uschivdr.com) that is good but quite expensive and very fine (0.003mm) I have trouble handling it. try some fine nylon repair thread, but never cotton thread, or fine stretched sprue.  I have tried several methods for the weight on tyres effect, unless they are big and hollow I would not use heat, you will just end up with a molten mess, I just file a small flat spot so that the tyre is not completely round where it rests on the ground, again it is easy to overdo it and end up with a flat looking tyre, as for applying filler to get the bulged effect, it's very difficult to get it right, especially if there is a tread pattern, I would only try it on a large aircraft like a Lancaster, but then I would probably buy resin wheels that have the bulge already, much easier.

Hope this is of help

Regards, Bob. 

16 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Nikola, as mentioned by others on this site, there is the Uschi rigging thread (www.uschivdr.com) that is good but quite expensive and very fine (0.003mm) I have trouble handling it. try some fine nylon repair thread, but never cotton thread, or fine stretched sprue.  I have tried several methods for the weight on tyres effect, unless they are big and hollow I would not use heat, you will just end up with a molten mess, I just file a small flat spot so that the tyre is not completely round where it rests on the ground, again it is easy to overdo it and end up with a flat looking tyre, as for applying filler to get the bulged effect, it's very difficult to get it right, especially if there is a tread pattern, I would only try it on a large aircraft like a Lancaster, but then I would probably buy resin wheels that have the bulge already, much easier.

Hope this is of help

Regards, Bob. 

Hi Bob,

This helps a lot. Thank you! :)

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1