Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1 Corsair - Newbie looking for feedback

Hi guys, I am new and hope I am in the right topic section for this one. :) I Got back to modelling a few months ago after 20y break.

This is my Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1, number 13 flown by Ken Walsh from VMF 124.

I know I overdid chipping on the right side of the fuselage but didn't want to make it worse by attempting to fix it, so there it is. :)

Also, I accidentally damaged the pitot tube and the antenna tail attachment point during the photo shoot. :( 

It is my second model using airbrush and I am looking for some honest feedback from you bigger fish out there, hoping to learn, so don't go easy on me. :)

Thanks in advance,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 40

Nikola, from what this old man can see, it looks pretty dang good for your second air brush job. 🍻  It looks like a war-weary Corsair and there were many that were weathered much more than that one.  I'm no expert of the Pacific War and others will provide more meaningful feedback than I can but I will say "good on ya" for doing a great job.

Welcome to BM, by the way!  You will find a lot of helpful and very knowledgable model builders here.  And some of the most amazing models on the planet.  I know I'm impressed by some everyday!   Cheers!

Gary

29 minutes ago, Nikola Topalov said:

It is my second model using airbrush and I am looking for some honest feedback from you bigger fish out there, hoping to learn, so don't go easy on me. :)

Hi Nikola, very nice Corsair. :thumbsup:  I may not be a bigger fish, but I am an old one, If I may give you 3 tips to improve your model:

1. Use some thinner aerial wire, yours stands out too thick on the pictures.

2. Put a small flat spot on the tyres where they contact the ground, this will show the weight of the aircraft.

3. The model is nicely weathered, but the white of the decals stands out so clean, unless the model is of a new, clean aircraft, weather the decals as well, a light dusting of grey or buff will tone it down to match the airframe.

I hope this is helpful to you, remember, looking at photos of the real thing will help you make the small improvements to get a better model.

Regards, Bob

• Like 2

An excellent build, Nicola. The camouflage looks realistically weathered and you managed the colour transition very well. My suggestions:

- Larger pictures, please. Select the biggest size when inserting from Flickr.

- The camouflage of this period was in fact less chipped, rather more weathered and dirty (as you did).

- The early Corsairs used salmon (pink) primer and not chromate yellow/green and the wheel well/door insides were painted in the exterior grey colour; cockpit dark green and black.

This does not at all diminish the beauty of your model, it's more a question of historical awareness.

Cheers, Michael

Hi guys,

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum and for your valuable comments and suggestions. Much appreciated! :)

12 minutes ago, Toryu said:

My suggestions:

- Larger pictures, please. Select the biggest size when inserting from Flickr.

- The camouflage of this period was in fact less chipped, rather more weathered and dirty (as you did).

- The early Corsairs used salmon (pink) primer and not chromate yellow/green and the wheel well/door insides were painted in the exterior grey colour; cockpit dark green and black.

Cheers, Michael

Michael,

Thank you for the historical info on the subject. I should look into that more carefully on the next one. Adds more value to the model and the subject.

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

..., If I may give you 3 tips to improve your model:

2. Put a small flat spot on the tyres where they contact the ground, this will show the weight of the aircraft.

3. The model is nicely weathered, but the white of the decals stands out so clean, unless the model is of a new, clean aircraft, weather the decals as well, a light dusting of grey or buff will tone it down to match the airframe.

Regards, Bob

Bob,

Thank you very much for your feedback! I agree with you on all three points. Will look to incorporate them on my current build, Tamiya's 1/72 Spit Mk.I. :)

10 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Well I think you're showing us how that chipping is done. I like it, especially since it's 1/72. Is that with the hairspray method? Looks good enough to me.

Martin

Martin,

Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, I did the chipping with hairspray method in two layers, one for bare aluminium and one for the primer. i used it straight form the can but should have decanted it first, since it kind of roughened the final paint job I think. Not sure though.

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Nikola, very nice Corsair. :thumbsup:  I may not be a bigger fish, but I am an old one, If I may give you 3 tips to improve your model:

I hope this is helpful to you, remember, looking at photos of the real thing will help you make the small improvements to get a better model.

Regards, Bob

Bob,

Which wire gauge do you use for 1/72, if you use wire? Or any other suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Also, for the tyres, do you sand them or heat them and then press on them slightly to get the deflation effect?

Thanks,

Nikola

Well, if that is 3 months in after 20 years, fabulous! You look like you know what you're doing 😉

The only feedback I'd give is that it's very difficult to do camouflage demarcation with a free hand airbrush in 1:72. I would use blue tac sausages at the edge of a tape mask to give the small amount of blend needed, for example on the cowling, where the transition from blue to white should be more distinct.

Hope that helps!

Harry

Edited by Bangseat

Looks pretty ace to me. Not much more to say really. Maybe make some of the panels darker and 'newer' looking to show that its a very well used and serviced plane but for a 1/72 scale that is really fantastic.

7 minutes ago, Bangseat said:

Well, if that is 3 months in after 20 years, fabulous! You look like you know what you're doing 😉

The only feedback I'd give is that it's very difficult to do camouflage demarcation with a free hand airbrush in 1:72. I would use blue tac sausages at the edge of a tape mask to give the small amount of blend needed, for example on the cowling, where the transition from blue to white should be more distinct.

Hope that helps!

Harry

Hi Harry,

That was the part which gave me the most trouble actually. I wasn't sure about it and just went for it to see how it would go, haha. Your suggestion sound very interesting and I would definitely like to try out the method, but I am not sure I completely understand how to go about it. Could you send an example if you have one? Much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Nikola 

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Looks pretty ace to me. Not much more to say really. Maybe make some of the panels darker and 'newer' looking to show that its a very well used and serviced plane but for a 1/72 scale that is really fantastic.

Thank you Red Five,

That is a good suggestion. Will try it out on my next builds. 

Best,

Nikola

21 minutes ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Hi Harry,

That was the part which gave me the most trouble actually. I wasn't sure about it and just went for it to see how it would go, haha. Your suggestion sound very interesting and I would definitely like to try out the method, but I am not sure I completely understand how to go about it. Could you send an example if you have one? Much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Nikola 

Hi Nikola,

I've tried to explain here..

2019-09-23_01-22-37

Sorry its rough, hope it makes some sense!

All best, Harry

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangseat said:

Hi Nikola,

I've tried to explain here..

2019-09-23_01-22-37

Sorry its rough, hope it makes some sense!

All best, Harry

Harry,

Thank you very much man! Excellent description. Got it! I will definitely use it on my current build, 1/72 Spit Mk.I

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1

Welcome to the site Nikola.

The only think I could add to what has already been said, is that the photos are a little too over exposed, but that might be because of the white background confusing the camera sensor.

As far as the wire is concerned, there are a few threads available, I use Uschi elastic rigging thread. Try Googling 'Biplane rigging thread' to see what is available in your part of the world.

The model itself is excellent.

Just now, Gorby said:

Welcome to the site Nikola.

The only think I could add to what has already been said, is that the photos are a little too over exposed, but that might be because of the white background confusing the camera sensor.

As far as the wire is concerned, there are a few threads available, I use Uschi elastic rigging thread. Try Googling 'Biplane rigging thread' to see what is available in your part of the world.

The model itself is excellent.

Thank you very much Gorby! Will take a look at those threads.

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1

Hello Nikola,

you have done a fine job on your second airbrushed kit..

i have one remark though on the chipping as it looks like it that the clearcoat has eaten the edges of the paint and therefore giving you some very hard edges.

This gives you the look that it has some severe corrosion on certain points like the prophub an cockpit area.

Therefore i have the idea that you gave it one thick coat of clear on it, a solution to avoid it would be spraying several thinner coats with some drying time between them to avoid this happening..

Maybe my findings are completely wrong but it is based on what i see!

Nevertheless carry on building this way and you will be having more of these great builds and subjects..

cheers, Jan

32 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Hello Nikola,

you have done a fine job on your second airbrushed kit..

i have one remark though on the chipping as it looks like it that the clearcoat has eaten the edges of the paint and therefore giving you some very hard edges.

This gives you the look that it has some severe corrosion on certain points like the prophub an cockpit area.

Therefore i have the idea that you gave it one thick coat of clear on it, a solution to avoid it would be spraying several thinner coats with some drying time between them to avoid this happening..

Maybe my findings are completely wrong but it is based on what i see!

Nevertheless carry on building this way and you will be having more of these great builds and subjects..

cheers, Jan

Hi Jan,

I think that you might be right, because I didn't decant any coats nor hairspray, just blasted them straight from the can, probably overdoing it.

I will definitely take your advice and airbrush in thinner coats next time.

Thank you very much for the advice.

Best,

Nikola 

• Like 1