Hello everyone... My most humblest of apologies, only had time lately to keep an eye on everyone else's builds. Haven't had much time for anything else due to life interrupting. Was able to primer this on Saturday. I hate Tamiya primer... it seems to boil on contact with certain plastics. And what happens is i get this little groupings of bubbles everywhere. I was able to sand them down this evening and start masking for my colors. o27XPpI.jpg

7VIfpNF.jpg

QsHJ4qE.jpg

Some panels and the canopy will stay in this grey. Then they of course will be covered during the next phases. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Well I pulled a stupid... I decided to work on some stuff last night and didn't realize until 01:15 local that I needed to get up at 07:15 for a Dr’s appt.. I was airbrushing stuff and have determined another reason I'm having issues with my A/B’s is that my hose has a pinhole somewhere. Fairly confident since its only 14 months old that its probably a cat related issue. They're want to chew on stuff that they really shouldn't. I was able to get the off white on the fuselage. A/b issues not stopping me, just aggravating me. Next up more masking for the tan and red also. 

C4A5U8X.jpg

ClS5wyx.jpg

PoMJfnr.jpg

pYuhYQk.jpg

9Rc8jpP.jpg

jCNTXjZ.jpg

Engines are done with maybe another wash on them. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

I had decided to build mine from the box without painting as it was intended, but your engines look so much better than my white ones that I'm tempted to dismantle mine and do it properly. 

Colin 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Looking good so far Dennis

Chris

Thank you Chris.

7 hours ago, Colin W said:

I had decided to build mine from the box without painting as it was intended, but your engines look so much better than my white ones that I'm tempted to dismantle mine and do it properly. 

Colin 

Thank you Colin...I wish i could but it only comes with the red transfers. The white plastic also didn't look quite right as a base either. They're in really good shape considering they're 30 years old. For the engines they're not perfect but I'm happy with them. I cant tell you what to do of course. However I'm liking your X-wing so far and am looking forward to seeing it finished. 

This is what I'm basing my scheme on. I found it online, I'm not 100% following it. But I'm in the 90+% of accuracy. 

FydJUsf.jpg

I did some masking and laid down some paint on the wings. The gold/tan needs a few more coats but im happy so far I decided to brush it on the wings to practice my @PlaStix technique. hAwnv4O.jpg

The Fuselage and nose panels are masked for A/brushing which i hope to get to this weekend. 

u2CBbzY.jpg

f8QnOYP.jpg

mYByx0h.jpg

Questions, comment, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

Todays small update... I finished painting the Gold/tan and did the two yellow panels. I am very mad though. I found out that i got ripped off on some paint. I bought a brand new jar of Tamiya XF-3 about two months ago from what constitutes my LHS. I put it into my drawer of paints and didn't touch it until tonight.
      I needed to spray two panels on this yellow and i was almost out in my old jar. No big deal as i knew i had another. I reach into the drawer pull it out and open it up to stir it and get it ready. Except it was almost empty with a little liquid and a handful of BB’s in the bottom. My guess is someone snuck it into the shop or someone there used it and put it back up on the rack. The good news is the two panels were small and i was able to salvage enough from the two jars to paint them. 
      1PqDqqX.jpg

wgzQlWY.jpg

Yes it looks like a lot of bleed on the gold/tan panels. Some of that is over masking and some will need a little touch-up and cleaning. 

KPIU4I5.jpg

Here is one panel ⬆️ and the other is the bottom center panel here. ⬇️

5Okz5OV.jpg

I will touch it up and let it all cure until tomorrow night. Once it is i will clear coat it then mask for the red panels. Yes i know there are divots in the lower panels. They've been filled beyond count but the filler keeps suck into the holes and I'm not doing it again. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello everyone... I was able to spray the red tonight. I then removed most of the masking and did some touch-ups.
DjPP6Ml.jpg

ia2Nrg7.jpg

zqQrU7B.jpg

mpAc8hS.jpg

LHn0LUh.jpg

Still need to touch-up the gold/tan and finish off the guns. Then i can clear this and move onto the landing gear. You can see I also applied a wash to the engines and rear fuselage and once all the touch-ups are good i will finish the wash. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello everybody...i finished the touch-ups on this tonight. I finished the wash then i glued on the engines. I added the cannons as a mock-up they're not glued in yet. 
trM5gvy.jpg

UAuQzdC.jpg

AbFLm96.jpg

EVU5WIU.jpg

xGaOVnz.jpg

JsccFjh.jpg

Once everything is hard on the engines and ive glued the cannons in, i can satin coat it to knock sone of the gloss away. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ?

Dennis

• Like 4

Evening everybody... Sprayed the satin coat on this and removed the masks from the canopy clears. I will remove the main canopy and finish the office next and then finish with the Landing gear. 
dF7BabR.jpg

XIBYxNu.jpg

QK4ZZ4h.jpg

The cannons are mounted and are as  straight as they can be. Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...