Hello all... This will be one of three builds for this group build. I will use this older 1/48th MPC kit. 
spacer.png

build my Movie Red Two of Wedge Antilles in "A new Hope". My phone just got updated to IOS 13.0 last night and copy and paste is a nightmare now. Please be patient with me as answering anyone with photo's will take about 6 steps instead of one. This kit is ok for the exterior but i will completely gut it. The limited instrument panel has 6 dial gauges on it. I will be using a spare cockpit with Glass displays from an old build to update it.

Dennis

• Like 10

Ok for some sprue shots and the cockpit work Ive started today. 
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The pilot, i wont be using him. If i do a pilot i will modify a hasegawa pilot from my spares. spacer.png

spacer.png

Kit cockpit. spacer.png

Here is the original cockpit piece. spacer.png

So i did some modifications today. spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The paint is not close to being finished. Its there to show me where touchups and fillers will be needed. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I kind of like the Natural metal look of the P/Etch. So I think that will get left alone. Questions, comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I build this as a kid, been looking for another one as an adult at a reasonable price. I could never afford the Y wing, Shuttle Tyderian, or the big ATAT walker though!

Believe it or not I've seen “a new hope” almost a 1000 times. Ive been building models since 1979. This is only my 2nd Star Wars build, my first was an Bandai AT-ST earlier this year. Id love a Y-wing and a B-wing in this scale. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Hello everyone... My first order is to modify the fuselage of this kit also. As we see in the box art. Forward of the cockpit snd below the forward nose are two ports. On the kit these are only flat planes.spacer.png

So I will be opening them up and installing cannon muzzles or launch ports. I think this is where the missiles are fired from in the Death star trench attack. Once that is done i will finish the cockpit up. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello Everyone... well i built up parts of the engines and wing cannons. The parts fit is less than desirable. The plastic is actually rejecting normal glues. I have to resort to using the older Testor’s tube glue. 

BpXV8Tt.jpg

Ive added the two ports on the lower fuselage as well. Here are the two ports on the fuselage. F7nuipt.jpg

Port ⬆️ From inside before glue.  ⬇️

YxQKKnk.jpg

Starboard ⬇️

knBU7EX.jpg

They will need filler to smooth them out but at least they're in now, not just flat plastic panes. I finished off the cockpit today as well. uYJ5Ijb.jpg

I went with the tan leather seats ala Lukes leather jacket. RSEEHi9.jpg

Still need to add some belts for the seat. Here is what it looks like in the fuselage. q9AYk2L.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 2

1 minute ago, whiskey said:

I can't remember but was this kit really in 1/48th scale? Also what did you use to update your cockpit with, kinda looks like a mix of a F/A-18 and a F-16.

It lists as 1/48 and the pilot comes out slightly over scale though. Ive read it actually is closer to 1/53rd i think ?  For the cockpit it is a mix of F-18 and Harrier bits ? I had plastic spares for both, as i used aires and old black box kits on those builds. Still have three more F-18 resin cockpits so i guess eventually i will need to build 3 more hornets. The X-wing cockpit is far from accurate but a heck of a lot better than the 6 dial gauges in the original kit console. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Did most of the wings tonight. Still need to add the rear of the engines and wing cannons. 

7iyZ11A.jpg

Tomorrow starts the fun stuff, i get to fill all the gaps on the wings, engines, and wing cannons. Time to debate do i go for the open “X” aerofoils or do i keep the wings flat ? Im angling towards flat as this will be on the Landing skids. So that will take care of the big nasty open boxes on the inside of the wings. You can make them out in the photo, upper right wing and lower left wing are visible ? All 4 wings have them though. My little “X” will get the wings in the open as it doesn't have any landing gear. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello everyone... Well I’ve decided to go with closed wings, which will save a lot of work. I mocked it up today as you can see.  QZQfFkK.jpg

As you can see there will be some big gaps to cover above and below the wings. Im planning on using some sheet plastic. That should both cover the gaps and add to the panel effect on the skin of the X-wing. 

vQrPGQn.jpg

I also filled the gaps along the wing joins and around the two forward weapons ports. I will still need to box in the Astro-mech Droids seating area, as there is to much exposed of the interior. Questions, comments and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello everyone... I was finally able to get the bulk of the fuselage glued today. I had to wait till i could dip the rear canopy. As well as mount both the canopy and the cockpit and wing. Here is where this is sitting right now waiting for glue to dry . 
h6KndSN.jpg

uucIpn0.jpg
looking at this photo ⬆️ I want to get a 1/72 X-wing and pose the 3 in flight formation now. The engine intakes will remain black as the only detail in them is 4 pour stubs from the molding process. Sadly my 1/144th bandai has fan blades at least ? 

vi2rg5g.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

Looks very cool.  I was living in Des Moines back in 1976 and that city was a test city for the film.  I think I must have seen it at least 6 times in the two weeks it played there.  Loved the X-wing then, love it now.

Weird about the glue.  Is the plastic hard or soft?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Looks very cool.  I was living in Des Moines back in 1976 and that city was a test city for the film.  I think I must have seen it at least 6 times in the two weeks it played there.  Loved the X-wing then, love it now.

Weird about the glue.  Is the plastic hard or soft?

I wish i could have seen it that many tines. I did see it twice in two days but that was it. The plastic is flexible kind of spongy feeling. I can bend the wing cannons and the will flex back into position. Im dealing with it using the old tube style cement. 

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The plastic is flexible kind of spongy feeling.

Sounds like the plastic used for the Airfix 1/72nd scale figures.  Terrible stuff.  How is the primer and/or paint holding?

The paint seems to be holding for the moment but Ive only done some interior work so far. Im planning on either a lacquer or enamel paint for the exterior. Then an acrylic red to finish it off so lots of time delays in between colors. I will see how things go. I think the plastic either was a weird mix from the factory in ‘89 when it was issued. That or its changed due to improper storage over the years. This kits gone through so many hands since it was made who knows ? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone... So its been two weeks with this and I'm sorry this is a slow build. But were getting there slowly. Ive finished sanding and can prime it by the end of the week. 
fQEKXEL.jpg

rxOQT2n.jpg

aOxHZb0.jpg

Ive got the upper two engines mocked up in this last photo. I finished painting them tonight they just need to dry and get a wash. 

DorQIxA.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 4