BOB movie Buchon 1/48.

This is my second priority build at the moment, so is a little slow right now while I push the P40. The kit isn't bad for it's age. I did paint the wheels yesterday along with the wheels from two other kits. 

There is a possibility I might get more modelling time today. I had planned to work today, but the weather forecast is for thunderstorms all day. If that is the case I won't be able to use my computers. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

No worries with this one. I will make the deadline. The canopy is on and ready for masking. The lower surfaces are painted. 

I was pretty sure you would, I'm just slowly reminding people that we've hit the midway point. 

Progress has been made the last few days. I've painted the top surfaces now. I used RLM02 for one colour and a mix of RLM71 with some RLM70 added. This gives the darker green that the Film bf 109's seem to be painted in. Yet not as dark as RLM70 on it's own. Once I have removed the masks and touched up any issues i will put a photo up.

• Like 5

Here is an update image. I had trouble with the masking and lost the faded edge on the fuselage I was wanting. Still it will have to do as is. 

The photo has a bit of a blue cast which isn't there in reality.

Buchon image4

• Like 12

Decals today all going well. I will be doing this as one of the lesser known one, "5" I'm not sure if this shows up in the movie, but I'm sure it was there because it is in the BOB documentary which used the film's footage that I saw the other day. I will still need to adjust decal.

• Like 4

All the decals are on. Unfortunately the badges are a bit big and the decal isn't that good,  but the rest are from a different decal sheet  so are first rate. I will most likely have this finished over the weekend, so I will hold photos till then.

• Like 3

I have had a small problem that will slow me down a bit. I forgot to put on the guns on top of the cowling.  I also had to scratch build them. This resulted in me messing up the top of the cowling because my tenor won't allow me to drop something like that in place. As a result I have had to repaint the cowling. Bit of a pain ,but it is done.

• Sad 1

Just to complicate things more my gremlin has been working overtime again. The middle part of the canopy has gone missing. To fix this I will use a canopy part out of one of my  Eduard kits. Seen as this kit has two it is no lose. Also the missing gun from the top of the cowling has turned up, so I'm redoing that again. This is typical of me always things to overcome at the end of a build.

• Like 1

I just had one of those frustrating moments.  After going all over my modeling area and looking through the Buchon's box at least three times yesterday. Today I was just dropping something into the box when I noticed the missing canopy sitting on top of the manual. I had taken everything out of the box three times and didn't  see it. I tell you what. That gremlin has been working real hard to frustrate me. 

All the repairs are done to the cowling.  I have weathered it using the old Tamiya weathering system. This seems to have worked ok. Some of those planes got rather dirty on the underside, so I have tried to show that. The prop and the spinner is done. 

• Like 4

It's amazing how often these modelling gremlins appear. Rest assured Greg, you're not alone and we all have them hovering around the modelling bench. we just don't document them as well as you do! I'm sure this'll be another great build, so keep going and get her over the finish line. 

Cheers.. David 

• Like 1

SetWell I managed to fight off the Gremlin. Tomorrow the plane will be complete. I have only the canopy top coat and attach it to do. Here is a quick image of where it is at. It is made to look a bit rough after several months of filming.. should anyone mention it. I have decided not to add an aerial to this plane because I can't see one on any of the  planes used during the filming. Also t still have a few touch ups to do. Eg. Put dirt on the wheels. 

Disappointingly there is a rather bad glue mark on the back canopy left bottom corner I couldn't fix. 

I had a go at doing some weathering with the Tamiya weathering master set I have had for years. I may have over done it a bit, but it does look a lot more like the planes that they had used for awhile when filming than if I had left it clean.

Buchon image5

• Like 6