Aldi Compressor

NeoGothicToaster

Aldi have a compressor on sale this week. 

Knowing literally nothing about compressors and airbrushes, what I would like to know is - is this suitable for use with an airbrush? Is this viable as a first compressor, or would I just be asking for problems by going down this route?

Brand:

Ferrex

Capacity:

24L

Product Type:

Power Tools

Wattage:

1800W

Weight:

26kg (approx.)

Keep all your air tools powered the simple way with this 2.5Hp Air Compressor. With a compact design with wheels for easy movement, this is a practical addition to any workspace or garage.

Features

• 2.5 HP motor
  • Ergonomically designed handle and wheels for easy movement
  • Air displacement: 262 l/min, 9.3 CFM
  • Compressor speed: 2850 1/min
  • Rated voltage: 230V/50HZ
  • 8 Bar max. working pressure
  • Operating pressure approx. 8 bar
  • Outlet pressure regulator
  • Theoretical intake capacity: 262 l/min
  • Protection type: IP20
  • Sound level: 97 dB
  • Twin air outlets
  • Guarantee/Warranty: 3 years

spacer.png

I have the Stanley version of this compressor for use with  an automotive spray gun and not modelling related, it's the noise and vibration will soon put you off using it,

I wouldn't want to run it in the house as the neighbours would soon complain, silent it is not. but with the correct fitting you could run a airbrush but it will require a 

a good quality regulator and moisture trap. You would have to keep the max pressure within the limits for the airbrush as not to blow seals.

Personally I wouldn't use it for airbrushing, 97db is loud in the garden let alone the house. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NeoGothicToaster said:

Cool - thanks :)
Will avoid & keep looking :) 

This is my set up, I can run this in the house when the Mrs goes to bed with no issues, its not the quietest but its a good performer, I have the 2.5l tank connected to it so it doesn't pulse. 

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Sparmax-AC-501X.html#SID=2025

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

This is my set up, I can run this in the house when the Mrs goes to bed with no issues, its not the quietest but its a good performer, I have the 2.5l tank connected to it so it doesn't pulse. 

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Sparmax-AC-501X.html#SID=2025

Cool! Thanks :)

• 3 months later...

Bit late here to join in :) But I use similar and whilst it's true it is noisy and unwieldy I only need to run it once and the tank holds more than enough to do a session, infact I've always had to bleed air off when I've finished.

Also whether it's this size or a hobby size it's best practice to have a regulator/moisture trap anyway and these compressors have the regulator at the pressure gauge.

I got one to use on the modern classic cars I tend to accumulate and had the added bonus of helping me with kits too

• Like 1

If you want something to use in the house then you'd need to be looking at below 50db really for it to be quiet enough. The Sil-Air unit I use is only 30db and it's so quiet that I use it at 2am and no one in the house is awoken. The air coming from the airbrush is actually louder than the compressor motor itself..