Airfix 1/72 Jaguar GR3 Desert Storm

Finished this a couple of weeks ago. After a very loooooooong in building,

Jaguar%20GR3%2C%2023s-L.jpg

Jaguar%20GR3%2C%2026s-L.jpg

Jaguar%20GR3%2C%2024s-L.jpg

Jaguar%20GR3%2C%2025s-L.jpg

Jaguar%20GR3%2C%2027s-L.jpg

The kit was built almost OOB. I cut away the solid plastic of the nose laser windows and replaced it with layers of '5 second UV Gel'. Main paint was Humbrol 250 Desert Sand. The decals are old ones from Xtradecal 'Gulf Special' which has a few schemes for Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer and a Hercules

• Like 20

Very nice!  I was just looking at this exact model in an online auction, and was tempted to buy it.  I waited too long and someone else snapped it up, but after seeing yours I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for another one.  ;) 

On 22/09/2019 at 20:02, 3DStewart said:

I'm very envious of you. I've longed wanted this variant from Airfix, but not come across one at a price I want to pay.

On 23/09/2019 at 17:46, mdauben said:

Very nice!  I was just looking at this exact model in an online auction, and was tempted to buy it.  I waited too long and someone else snapped it up,. . . 

Don't going paying too much for an Airfix  1/72 Jaguar GR.3 kit.

Its the standard old GR.1 kit with just two extra frames with the weapons on them

The weapons can be found in other kits and the over-wing sidewinder rails adapted from under-wing ones. Aeroclub used to make the over-wing rails the ALE and the dispensers in whitemetal but the dispensers can be made from plastic card

I had to pinch the fuel tank from another Airfix Jaguar kit to make up the more typical war load used in the Gulf War

Jaguar%20GR3%2C%2005s-L.jpg

Thanks for the compliments chaps

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Don't going paying too much for an Airfix  1/72 Jaguar GR.3 kit.

Its the standard old GR.1 kit with just two extra frames with the weapons on them.

Other than weapons, what are the principle differences between the GR.3 and GR.1 that would be visible in 1:72?

Edited by 3DStewart

Unfortunately the GR3 was introduced well after the 1st gulf war.

The Aircraft used in Op Granby as the 1st GW were Gr1A's the differences from GR1 were :- 

Jaguar GR1 with navigation (NAVWASS II), chaff/flare, ECM and Sidewinder capability.

The single aerial you have just behind the cockpit is the from a GR3 the original twin set up was used on the GR1A.

Edited by tweeky

On 9/24/2019 at 5:35 AM, tweeky said:

The single aerial you have just behind the cockpit is the from a GR3 the original twin set up was used on the GR1A.

If memory serves correctly the upgraded single blade U/VHF aerial was fitted to the GR1As in theatre for Operation Granby.  There are lots of photos of the JagDet pre conflict and at the start of hostilities with the twin aerials and others later in conflict and returning to UK there are photos with the single aerial.