Jaguar finally finished-ish

Hi all.

Quack's back.......

This is my second build on BM. I had initially hoped to work through a WIP and started it here..

Unfortunately my brain self destructed and I forgot how to post pics (or summat changed in the land of Flickr) and I found I couldn't continue.

Having redicovered the means to post pics again it is clearly time once more to inflict damage on everybody's precious retinas......

The source is a Revell repop of the Airfix 1/48 Jaguar and the plan was to finish it as a Granby kite

This was my second build and I used the opportunity to try some new (to me) tricks. This was my first time applying surgery to a kit to install a resin cockpit. Resin intakes were also used - another first for me. I also tried modifying the rather unconvincing fuel dump pipe with a bit of carving and brass rod, and tried also to scratch build in a minor / beginners way (FOD covers). The large Naca intake on the spine was carved out and floored with plastic card. minor stuff really just to have a go.

Finished with Xtracrylix and pinwash/ oil / pastels to muddy things up.

Aaaaaaand here's the result - second kit in errr....40 or so years.

48774471756_eed9fedabb_b.jpg100.jpg by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

48764840458_30daa2dc50_b.jpg80.jpg by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

48765365647_f21c3322a5_b.jpg94.jpg by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

48765169926_ac23867904_b.jpg82.jpg by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

48765169926_ac23867904_b.jpg82.jpg by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

48765361372_f1a9a6b5db_b.jpg88.jpg by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

48765166871_e2e1edf8dc_b.jpg86.jpg by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

48774472231_c628852ed5_b.jpg96.jpg by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

48774472061_2da7b01fb6_b.jpg98.jpg by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

I'm broadly happy with the construction side of things. I've definitely improved since my last build.

I'm really not happy with the finish however. I think the Desert Sand (Xtracrylix) is a bit dark - I should have lightened it up a bit. I also tried using the Hairspray method to wear away the top layer to reveal cammo green / grey underneath but the top layer simply would not budge - hopefully somebody will tell me the correct way to do this.

I'm also a bit disappointed with the Pink Spitfire figure (Xtradecals) which seems to have no facial colour resulting in a bit of a washed out white appearance and lacks definition.

I'm already thinking of totally re-doing the finish on this one.

So Questions as follows.

1/ do I need to take the finish back to plastic?

2/ could I just remove the decals (how best?) and spray on top?

3/ any tips for successful hairspray weathering?

4/ anybody got an old set of 1/48 decals for The (avid) Guardian Reader????

Cheers all.

Q

• Like 20

That plastic doesn't look mangled to me.  You have a good enough finish to weather her as she is, washes and a little airbrushing/dry brushing would be all you would need - though she is really nice as-is.  Desert Pink too dark?  That depends on the light you look at it under, what your reference is and what light it was under at the time and how weathered it was, and of course personal preference.  IMHO it looks pretty good.

If that's your second in 40 years I'd say you have amde a really impressive stsrt to your return to modelling - welcome back..

• Thanks 1

Nice Jag! I think the finish is pretty damn good.... I wouldn't dream of stripping it back but as others have said, maybe have a go at weathering it a little bit more?

Then that's one finished & on the shelf & time better spent on the next one!

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. Point taken re weathering. I did wash with Flory quite selectively as the panel lines are engraved quite deep and I didn't want the checkerboard toy look. Also dirtied up with pastels though this doesn't really come across in these photos. Still disappointed by the hairspray failure as one of the most prominent weathering features was the appearance of underlying paint as the ARTF coat was abraded / chipped.

More practice needed......what an excuse for more bench time!

Thanks all.

Q