Somewhere in the Soviet Union... T-34/76

Joseph C

Somewhere in the Soviet Union...

This started as a build of an old Tamiya T-34 kit to test the hairspray technique. The model was left for two years before I found the inspiration to complete it again a couple of months ago. Figures are Miniart.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 32

I feel cold just looking at this scene. Love your weathering on the diorama, figure skin painting and that tank looks like its ready for retirement. I have been on winter manouvers and your scene brings back some bad memories of being cold to the bone thanks! Lol great diorama I think ill just sit and stare at it a bit more.

Hi Joseph,

Well, you may have taken a long break before finally getting this done, but it was worth the wait. A superb example of the hairspray method, certainly better than my attempt! And as everyone else has said, the figures are a really good, not always the case with MiniArt, and they do look genuinly brass-monkey'd.

A couple of questions..... did you seal your model with varnish before applying the hairspray, and how long did you leave the hairspray before over-spraying with white?

Rearguards,

Badder

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 1:45 AM, Badder said:

Hi Joseph,

Well, you may have taken a long break before finally getting this done, but it was worth the wait. A superb example of the hairspray method, certainly better than my attempt! And as everyone else has said, the figures are a really good, not always the case with MiniArt, and they do look genuinly brass-monkey'd.

A couple of questions..... did you seal your model with varnish before applying the hairspray, and how long did you leave the hairspray before over-spraying with white?

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

Apologies for the late reply. Glad you like my diorama even though I can point many problems looking at it now.

I did seal the model with varnish (TS-80), then hairspray, then white with 24 hours between each application. What took some time was removing the white paint. I actually left everything for two years before doing so; didn't think the white paint would come off!

Regards

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joseph C said:

Hi Badder,

Apologies for the late reply. Glad you like my diorama even though I can point many problems looking at it now.

I did seal the model with varnish (TS-80), then hairspray, then white with 24 hours between each application. What took some time was removing the white paint. I actually left everything for two years before doing so; didn't think the white paint would come off!

Regards

No worries Joseph.

Thanks for the info. I've watched quite a few hairspray winter camo videos and one 'expert' said that the hairspray can be left on indefinitely and will still dissolve with water years later. I didn't realise anyone was actually going to do that though!

The problem, as you've discovered is the paint. The water has to get under the paint to activate the hairspray lacquer and lift the paint away, so if the paint has cured for years, has been covered in dust, and other airborne contaminants such as air fresheners, cig smoke, furniture polish, etc etc, then all of that will form a protective layer over the paint and make it even harder for the water to get under it.

Rearguards,

Badder

Rearguards,

Badder