DH.2 'Lanoe Hawker' - 1:32 Wingnut Wings

Viking

DH.2 'Lanoe Hawker'

1:32 Wingnut Wings

dh2-1.jpg

The DH.2 entered service in February 1916, putting an end to the 'Fokker Scourge' of Eindekkers that had been dominating the Western Front with their synchronized machine guns firing trough the propeller arc. Highly maneuverable, the DH.2 was a good fighter despite it's fragile looks.  Lanoe Hawker was already an experienced ace  and Victoria Cross holder when he took command of 24 Squadron, and led them to France in 1916.

On 23 November 196, flying 5964 (the subject of this model) with 'A' flight, Hawker encountered Jasta 2 and in particular Manfred Von Richthofen flying a twin gun Albtaros D.II. A lengthy dogfight ensued, with Hawker eventually breaking off due to low fuel. Richthofen fired one last burst before his guns jammed, and Hawker was killed instantly, becoming the Red Barons 11th victim as 5964 crashed to the ground.

Wingnut Wings have released some of their superb kits with equally high quality resin figures to depict famous aces and their aircraft. I just had to have the brilliantly sculptured figure of Lanoe Hawker, holding a map and with his coat slung over his arm. The figure is absolutely perfect, beautifully cast and a pleasure to assemble and paint. The DH.2 is a real beauty to build, but complicated to rig, and I was forever thinking I had finished when I spotted a bit I had missed.  I think I have finished it now though, I will create a proper base and case for it, as it deserves to be properly displayed with the figure next to it.

box.jpg

On with more photos:
dh2-2.jpg

dh2-3.jpg

dh2-4.jpg

dh2-5.jpg

Weathering is subtle, I did some chipping around the cockpit area where the dark green was scuffed away to reveal the grey beneath. You may just notice the clear tube fuel gauge on the upper wing tank, showing the tank nearly full!

dh2-8.jpg

dh2-9.jpg

dh2-10.jpg

dh2-11.jpg

dh2-12.jpg

dh2-6.jpg

I masked and pained the see through effect of the upper wing roundel on the under side of the wing. Sunlight from above would have created this effect as 5649 was delivered in clear doped lined, and later painted with dark green PC.10, painting around the roundels.

dh2-7.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 56

• 2 weeks later...

What an absolute cracker, great work and great effects, love the roundel showing through the underside of the top wing. Dreading doing that on mine when I build it as being a brush painter I am not sure I can achieve that convincingly.  Great rigging, can I ask what you used for the turnbuckles, I have got some Bob's buckles eyelets and tubing but was thinking of just using tube, I have made some since by heating and stretching plastic cotton buds over a flame and was just going to use those with invisible thread and Uschi elastic thread.

You have created a masterpiece with this model.

All the best
Chris

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great rigging, can I ask what you used for the turnbuckles, I have got some Bob's buckles eyelets and tubing but was thinking of just using tube, I have made some since by heating and stretching plastic cotton buds over a flame and was just going to use those with invisible thread and Uschi elastic thread.

Thanks Chris, that's exactly what I did. Stretched cotton bud tube, and Maxima Chameleon fishing line. It is dark coloured with a copperish tinge.

4lb line for the main rigging, 2.5lb for control wires. I'm glad the rigging is finished, it never seemed to end. I'm making a Fokker Dr.1 now, hardly any rigging on that!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Viking said:

Thanks Chris, that's exactly what I did. Stretched cotton bud tube, and Maxima Chameleon fishing line. It is dark coloured with a copperish tinge.

4lb line for the main rigging, 2.5lb for control wires. I'm glad the rigging is finished, it never seemed to end. I'm making a Fokker Dr.1 now, hardly any rigging on that!

Cheers

John

Thanks John I will use this method too.

Thanks for the tip.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1