This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

spruecutter96

"The Snowman" movie on Netflix (Quick Review)

Two words.... Don't Bother. 

(Over-long and "nothing-you-ain't seen before"). OK, that is definitely more than two words....

Chris. 

I'm assuming this isn't the "Walking in the air" The Snowman with Aled Jones.

I think I might be a bit behind with current films.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:42 PM, Stu_davros said:

I'm assuming this isn't the "Walking in the air" The Snowman with Aled Jones.

I think I might be a bit behind with current films.

You assume correctly, Stu.

This movie is about a Norwegian serial-killer who dismembers his victims and builds a small snowman nearby. By the way, if anyone decides to give it a go, could you answer me one question.... How can you have 10-inches of snow on the ground and it not be cold enough to see the actors' breath? Methinks it might have been a lot warmer when they filmed it than the film would like us to believe. 

Chris.

22 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

How can you have 10-inches of snow on the ground and it not be cold enough to see the actors' breath? Methinks it might have been a lot warmer when they filmed it than the film would like us to believe.

It's probably better than CGI breath from past experience... that never looks quite right :hmmm:

incidentally, what's so bad about it?  Without giving significant spoilers of course :)

Just now, Mike said:

It's probably better than CGI breath from past experience... that never looks quite right :hmmm:

Agree with you, Mike. CGI breathing is very difficult to get right. 

It's something that bothered me about "Dark Knight Rises". In one scene, they are walking across a very wide, completely-frozen river and it warm enough for them not be seen breathing. I think not....

Chris. 

2 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

CGI breathing is very difficult to get right. 

It's one of things that is under the category "uncanny valley".  That and mouths, with hair only recently having been brought to the higher ground on the sides of the aforementioned valley.  It's probably at least partly to do with the cost of modelling the mechanics of the particles of "breath", so you get a half-cocked verson that looks meh.