Spitfire Mk. IXB Floatplane

Having had quite a few problems with airbrushing Humbrol acrylics I tried experimenting with different thinners, including water and alcohol....alcohol seems to be by far the best...99%ethanol was pretty impressive but expensive and not much improvement over standard DIY meths...which was significantly better than IPA!

Still a real faff compared with Tamiya paints!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, masking of the undersides is completed and the upper surfaces have received two coats of EDSG. This is Humbrol (🥴) acrylic but, I have spent since October 12th stirring and shaking the pot...I thinned it with my homemade thinner and applied very thin coats. The first one wasn't brilliant but the second coat seems to have gone on reasonably well.

I also have Humbrol dark slate grey but in enamel so the acrylic will get a good few days to harden before I mask and apply the enamel....here's hoping!

VY4tSI.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Just caught up with this thread, a masterclass in camo schemes and paint! And the Spit looks great too!

I wondered however... is the Brengun kit a new tool? The sprue shots on page one remind me of an old KP Mk.IX kit I once had. Just curious.

Best wishes for the remainder of the build.

Cheers,

15 hours ago, Johnson said:

Just caught up with this thread, a masterclass in camo schemes and paint! And the Spit looks great too!

I wondered however... is the Brengun kit a new tool? The sprue shots on page one remind me of an old KP Mk.IX kit I once had. Just curious.

Best wishes for the remainder of the build.

Cheers,

Hi Charlie,

Cheers, yes, it is all a bit of a minefield!

This kit is a 2016 re-boxing with new parts for the MKIX from the 2013 MKVB kit I believe.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers all, it's been a long haul!

I had some funny moments with the canopy that went misty...I used Tamiya extra thin glue... never mind, and when I posted the photos I see that the Humbrol clear lacquer managed to sneak up and bite me in the rudder...the white deposit around the tail transfer...oh well, I managed to get a decent matt coat with Windsor and Newton acrylic matt and my homemade thinner. The mild weathering is Tamiya pastel.

Well, it's in the gallery now. Thanks for all of the encouragement!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Worms said:

I managed to get a decent matt coat with Windsor and Newton acrylic matt

It does work well, the only really matt matt I've found!

17 minutes ago, Worms said:

the canopy that went misty...I used Tamiya extra thin glue

Possibly a bit potent for the canopy? Have you tried fixing canopies with PVA adhesive? Water based and dries clear, very safe for clear plastic parts.

Well done, looks splendid! And great to have a Float Plane Spitfire in this GB!

23 hours ago, Johnson said:

It does work well, the only really matt matt I've found!

Possibly a bit potent for the canopy? Have you tried fixing canopies with PVA adhesive? Water based and dries clear, very safe for clear plastic parts.

Well done, looks splendid! And great to have a Float Plane Spitfire in this GB!

Yes, I can't find a better matt coat!

And as for the pva, yep, I don't know why I didn't use Pva this time, I usually do...oh well, still learning 😉

• Like 1