Vultee V-1D Special, modified Special Hobby 1/72nd kit

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Moa,

Are those branches at the ends of the exhaust pipes for supplying hot air for cabin heating? Like the ones on DC-3/C-47's? The interior is coming along nicely.

Mike

Might that be considered an example of "endangered feces"? ( I will now deposit myself in the corner and quietly take notes as Moa's build progresses.)

Mike

It could certainly be as you said, there is another cabin air intake on the leading edge, in some planes on both sides, for fresh air. 

Toilet roll made of real paper. Accept no substitutions! In the background is what will become the fist aid cabinet:

IMG_6384+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

In order to spare myself the grief and associated issues related to that annoying lid to cover the spine hole, I cut, curved and glued to one side a "roof":

IMG_6385+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This will provide support (otherwise nonexistent) for the lid, that will simple fall through after the fuselage is assembled if attempted to simply glue it, to the joy of a maraca player, and that piece of styrene will also provide more gluing area for the fuselage joint, which has no locking devices:

IMG_6386+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

From inside, the fuselage seam will be hidden, and it will look like a panel of upholstery, to which cabin lights may be glued after painting the interior:

IMG_6387+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Some parts and sub-assemblies are ready for the first session with the airbrush:

IMG_6388+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

Moa, are you leaving the engine cylinders in silver or are you going to paint them black? I ask because I'm quite sure that pre-WW2 most US aircraft engines, both Wright and P&W, painted the cylinders black.

NASM-NASM-9A07903.jpg

de80a3165113f0221f15cb2473e26c9d.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

Basic colors air airbrushed, and the wing is primed to see what's going on on the leading and trailing edges:

IMG_6389+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

5 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Moa, are you leaving the engine cylinders in silver or are you going to paint them black? I ask because I'm quite sure that pre-WW2 most US aircraft engines, both Wright and P&W, painted the cylinders black.

Chris

Hi Chris

The post above this reply answers your question.

• Like 1

A few points, in the interest of historical accuracy.....

Hearst owned two V-1s, NC-14250 and NC-16099. The first was destroyed in an infamous fatal crash carrying some Irish VIPs in 1938.   The Canadian Colonial plane was CF-AWQ (not 'AWC).   Not sure what you mean about the restored aircraft masquerading as 'Lady Peace'. The colour scheme on that is substantially accurate as L. P. did not wear AA's colours. Dick Merrill was the chief pilot of Eastern Air Lines and objected to flying an aircraft publicising a competing airline so had it painted in the colours as depicted (there are of course some errors...)    Whoever did the kit decal artwork seems to think it was in the basic AA colour scheme, which is definitely not so....as can clearly be seen from close up photos. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Moa said:

Hi Chris

The post above this reply answers your question.

Oops! I guess I should have waited a bit and I should have known that you have researched the details of the subject thoroughly. My bad!

Chris

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger Holden said:

A few points, in the interest of historical accuracy.....

Hearst owned two V-1s, NC-14250 and NC-16099. The first was destroyed in an infamous fatal crash carrying some Irish VIPs in 1938.   The Canadian Colonial plane was CF-AWQ (not 'AWC).   Not sure what you mean about the restored aircraft masquerading as 'Lady Peace'. The colour scheme on that is substantially accurate as L. P. did not wear AA's colours. Dick Merrill was the chief pilot of Eastern Air Lines and objected to flying an aircraft publicising a competing airline so had it painted in the colours as depicted (there are of course some errors...)    Whoever did the kit decal artwork seems to think it was in the basic AA colour scheme, which is definitely not so....as can clearly be seen from close up photos. 

Because it is NOT the original Lady Peace, which was lost. Dick Merrill originally flew the original Lady Peace, hence the scheme was changed to suit him.

Moa,

In view of the airplane's history, there better be a 1/72 Hearst newspaper in the magazine rack in the loo! I am sooo mad, as I never bought this kit when it came out, but after watching your WIP and seeing that classic AA color scheme, I want one! Trouble is, the kit is OOP and the ones for sale are going for insane prices...guess I'll never learn. All that aside, your work and scratch building on this one is outstanding, as per usual. Nuthin' but love for you, buddy! 👍

Mike

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Moa,

In view of the airplane's history, there better be a 1/72 Hearst newspaper in the magazine rack in the loo! I am sooo mad, as I never bought this kit when it came out, but after watching your WIP and seeing that classic AA color scheme, I want one! Trouble is, the kit is OOP and the ones for sale are going for insane prices...guess I'll never learn. All that aside, your work and scratch building on this one is outstanding, as per usual. Nuthin' but love for you, buddy! 👍

Mike

That IS a brilliant idea!

I have still to add a small table between two of the facing seats, since there was a "secretarial position". May be it could be on it. Otherwise the temptation would be too hard to resist if you were to find it in the loo...

Regarding kit purchasing: I only buy kits that I really like that have a really fair price when they are first issued. The best example of this is the recently-released four little civil kits from Avis (three of which I already built and posted, and I just got the fourth, the Bristol M.1D).

For all the others I just wait until chance presents itself. That was the case with this one, which I got a few months ago for a nice price at Rareplane Detectives in the Palm Springs Desert area (we go there a couple times a year to visit friends). I got it, with other kit companions that I also wanted, all normally priced. Other times friends and fellow modelers would get rid of theirs' for some reason, and they don't speculate on the price, even when they could, and you can get them for a price that is fair for both parties.

Meanwhile I have enough models in the stash, so I can wait, and do wait.

Cheers and thanks for your very kind words.

• Haha 1

A typewriter for the secretary is fashioned:

IMG_6485+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Cabin and individual lights and vents are added, a couple of carpets, and the tables in progress.
Above the typewriter is the newspaper cover, that says "Citizen Kane". My good printed kaputed long ago, so this is a low def print, still convincing for the purposes of an interior that will be barely seen.

On the background are the windows drying from a bath in clear acrylic, and the masked wheels to paint the hubs:

IMG_6487+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 6

Hi there 

Well I feel obliged to advice you a bit, not about modelling as I saw that part is already sorted but in my limited experience those Special Hobbies (Azur also Ace models from Ukraine) low pressure plastic inyected kits are build a lo of easier with Revell Contacta Cement

Best modelling 

Armando

• Thanks 1