Monogram B-36 Peacemaker

11 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

I know from experience that it's a big job to finish this kit.  And even harder to make it look as good as you have.

That's very kind. It is a big model to handle on the bench, but when you consider the size the fit is remarkably good. Due to length of the fuselage it's a bit like wrestling a crocodile when it comes to gluing the halves together, so plenty of tapes and clamps are the order of the day. It's quite simple in terms of the number of parts too, so it actually goes together very quickly. I probably spent more time masking than I actually did building it!

3 hours ago, Natter said:

When they get modeller's block most people would turn to a new Airfix or simple Tamiya kit as a shake and bake - so kudos for going way out left field.  Brill result.

I did consider a smaller kit to start from scratch, but as this was more or less complete in terms of construction it was just a case of painting and decalling which is just what the doctor ordered. And you know what? I don't have a single Tamiya kit in my stash - must remedy that!

Every time I see one of these kits, there is is droning, buzzing noise in my head....the kind you get when it flies right overhead. Only seen one once.....never forgotten. Saw one for sale last week; left it there, just too big.

Great job there, Halfords Fiat red-orange? Taking it to St Ives?

12 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Only seen one once.....never forgotten

Where was that, Bob? I remember seeig the Ft. Worth machine in 1980. Other than that I've only seen the XC-99 at Kelly AFB dump :(

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Where was that, Bob? I remember seeig the Ft. Worth machine in 1980. Other than that I've only seen the XC-99 at Kelly AFB dump :(

Bob? as in Blackadder Bob?

Flew over the house just outside Ipswich when I was 'nobbut a lad' - about 4. Not very high. 6 turnin' 4 burnin'.

Frank

14 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Every time I see one of these kits, there is is droning, buzzing noise in my head....the kind you get when it flies right overhead. Only seen one once.....never forgotten. Saw one for sale last week; left it there, just too big.

Great job there, Halfords Fiat red-orange? Taking it to St Ives?

Cheers, Frank.

Nope - Halfords Nissan Red - was a good match for these earlier arctic schemes.

I'm not sure if it's going to be coming to St. Ives as we already have some big models on the table but either way I'll see you there.

15 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Flew over the house just outside Ipswich when I was 'nobbut a lad' - about 4. Not very high. 6 turnin' 4 burnin'.

Frank

Makes sense - they were at Sculthorpe for a while...

3 hours ago, tomprobert said:

It's quite simple in terms of the number of parts too, so it actually goes together very quickly. I probably spent more time masking than I actually did building it!

Oh no! Don't tell me that! Must resist. Must resist. Somebody stop me before I build yet another big, multi-engine, NMF bomber.

Let my B-36 kit stay on the shelf a bit longer, please!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Threadbear said:

That is a mightly impressive model of an even more impressive airplane! The red and silver looks fantastic and all the walk areas are they kit decals? 

Many thanks!

No - the decals are aftermarket and from Warbird Decals. They do a separate stencil sheet as well as general squadron/bomb group markings.