Revell 1/72nd Fw 200C-8

Bish

Next on the bench is my first German 4 engine build. I have done a 3 and a 5 engined subject but not a 4, the Revell 1/72nd Fw 200C-8.

spacer.png

I'll be adding an Eduard Big Ed Pe set for this. And i will be useing Xtradecal Am decals. I got the decal set for the Trump C-3 kit but it included a C-8 which, like the one in the kit thats featured on the box art was used against the Finn's in 1944. But unlike the one in the kit the AM set does not have the wave pattern scheme which i am not ready to do just yet, so i took the easy route.

The kit has quite a nice interiour for the front and rear areas and the eduard set adds quite a bit of extra detail.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The radio compartment won't be seen at all once doen but i put it all in anyway.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I got the fuselage closed up and that went well. Then in my haste i got the wings on before taking pics. The fit is very good and there was not much to clean up on the fuselage seams.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The forward gun position was then fitted along with the horizontal tail surfaces.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And i primed and painted the underside where the gondala will go along with the wheel wells. The Eduard set includes PE flaps. I have been at these for about 2 nights, its a lot of work but worth it. The upper sets are fitted, i still have a bit to do on the lower flaps and will leave those off for painting.

spacer.png

Thats it for now. Going to get the flaps wrapped up then i can finish off the final bits before masking and painting.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I'll be paying attention to this. I bought the 1/72 after talking myself out of the 1/48.

Was that the Trump 48th kit? I have their 72nd C-3, that loks a nice kit as well.

31 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Those "roofparts"... ...are they really intended to be glued to the fuselage? Arn't they made such way to make it possible to show the interior if wanted?

Cheers / André

You have the option to glue them or leave them so they can be removed. But they still need sanding for a good fit and it would be to awkward to remove and fit them once secured to the base.

Yowzah! Looking good so far! What a beautiful airplane! Can't wait to see the finished product; after you finish doing the flap wells and flaps, you need to knock back mass quantities of your favorite alcoholic beverage!

Mike

Cheers guys, sorry for my tardiness in geting back to you. Mike, it is a nice looking aircraft. I am not sure i have room for one of those given the vast amounts of coffee i drink 😀

Hoping to get an update son as i have since primed painted and decaled it.

I seem to have missed an update. I had the pre paint pics taken and loaded onto Flickr 10 days ago but seem to have forgotten to post them. So a double update this time.

Got the underside gondola masked up and fitted.

spacer.png

And the same for the pit canopy and upper turret.

spacer.png

spacer.png

After some primer, the paint. RLM 65 underneath and 72/73 on top. This ofcourse included the best bit of painting German aircraft, masking for the splinter camo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then the decals. I do like Xtradecals, they lay down nice and i have never had any issues with them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just somelight weathering to add, going to give it a wash with flry and some exhaust staining.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand what it is that people don't like about painting splinter camo, I find it is much easier to get right and far less tedious than RAF style camouflage (at least versions with hard edges)

Great progress as well, I would love to get my hands on one of these! Alas, space is a finite resource and this is a large model. How does it compare to other large aircraft from WW2 such as the Lanc or Greif?

• Like 1

Looking good.  Once it is flat coated it should come together very nicely.  You think that is a big model. I have the 1/48 Trumpeter on on top of my cabinet.  It really looks excellent.  I also agree that the splinter pattern is on of the easiest of all the schemes to do.

Nice job of a nice looking aircraft. I remember seeing a pic of one that had broken its back on landing when ferrying German officers to a surrender. Was this a structural problem with the 200 series?

Regards 

Steve

Cheers guys. I do like doing the splinter camo, i agree that tapeing the straight lines is easier than many other schemes. My biggest issues always comes with weathering, i tend to lose the 2 greens, but fortunatly it didn't happen on this one.

Steve, from what i understand, that was a problem for the Condor, there are several piucs of aircraft where that has happened.

Time to wrap this up. I got the Condor finished last weekend. Undercarrage, flaps and other bits were added. I gave it a light Flory wash and some exhaust staining. Really pleased with the end result, for once i haven't completly blended the 2 greens.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then spent last week finishing off the vehciels and figures. I do like those Academy trucks, its my second this year. The Kubel is Hasegawa and the figures all Airfix.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for following along. All comments welcome.

• Like 15