Legendary Blackbird - Part 1: A-12 Oxcart (Italeri Conversion)

Serkan Sen

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Hi Serkan, I saw this at SMW 2019 on the IPMS Germany stand and was not sure if this is yours or someone else.

Hi Robert,

No that's not mine. I have not completed 3D model yet to print it out. Since last 2 weeks I was trying to get most accurate drawings and reference material to make 3D model using CAD.

I have made some progress and I will share some pics when my little daughters go to bed...

😴🤗😴🤫

Serkan

• Like 2

The scale is 1/72 but the lady and gentleman behind the table spoke good German and I good English but neither understood each other.

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Robert said:

The scale is 1/72 but the lady and gentleman behind the table spoke good German and I good English but neither understood each other.

Regards

Robert

If you have taken any flyer from them I can translate it for you...

Serkan

• Like 1

Serkan, my mate

I'll tag along with Bill; have searched the Intertubes high and low for ten whole years for some Sled scans since I started modifying my Italeri 1/48 Sled kit - you know the Sled really rocks my boat. However, those specific ones you're looking for have evaded me (I only have them, partially, just like you).

Beware of the paid downloads; last time I downloaded a paid scan, my computer was so heavily infected that the antivirus never knew what had hit it until the hardware collapsed - had to go fetch my software in Bolivia!

I got these scans I no longer recall where from, but they're quite decent, and eventually helped me tangle with the awful nose in the Italeri kit.

spacer.png

Then I've got another set of scans that I got from Russ in LSP which are very heavy. Drop me a PM with yer addy and I'll gladly share them with you.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have started to draw CAD model from available materials. First of all I have imported my top and side view drawings and reference pictures to CAD:

1257.jpg

Generating the nose and fuselage sections with chine was a bit painful. But the progress I did during last week is compromising 🙂

1261.jpg

Also I have spent plenty of time to get realistic windshield and front canopy contours:

1263.jpg

The Italeri kit modification still continues. I will open a new thread to report digital blackbird progress in there.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Serkan, my mate

I'll tag along with Bill; have searched the Intertubes high and low for ten whole years for some Sled scans since I started modifying my Italeri 1/48 Sled kit - you know the Sled really rocks my boat. However, those specific ones you're looking for have evaded me (I only have them, partially, just like you).

Beware of the paid downloads; last time I downloaded a paid scan, my computer was so heavily infected that the antivirus never knew what had hit it until the hardware collapsed - had to go fetch my software in Bolivia!

I got these scans I no longer recall where from, but they're quite decent, and eventually helped me tangle with the awful nose in the Italeri kit.

Cheers,

Unc2

What's wrong with the Italeri SR-71 nose? I have the kit and after watching Serkan's build I thought of starting it.

Just when I thought that life was easy.........:doh:

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

What's wrong with the Italeri SR-71 nose? I have the kit and after watching Serkan's build I thought of starting it.

The shape and nose chine has neither M-21 nor SR-71 form. It is closer to M-21/A-12 shape. Also the overall fuselage sections are too shallow. I have listed all these odds (and many valuable contributions from mates) through this post.

Serkan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 4:04 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

Serkan, fella

4-some MB of Blackbird scans went up to beautiful Germany divided into four separate e-mails. 

Check 'em out and smile.

Cheers,

Everything... :lol:

Unc2

Everything??? Nahhhh....🤣

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

Everything??? Nahhhh....🤣

Really; just to start with, the shape on the nose in the Testors/Italeri 1/48 SR-71 kit is all wrong. It's a strange mix between the A-12 and something else, which is not the Sled. This is plain noticeable just by taking a look at the picture of the finished model on the front of the Instruction Sheet. This has hit on me awfully from the first day I opened the box, just as my sheila uses to hit me whenever I slyly get hold of her nail polishing boards to polish my kits :lol:

All of the cockpit area is too shallow. The glass panes on the windshield are convex; it looks more like that on the P-47 than on the Sled. The base of the windshield is straight when it should adapt to the curvature on the forward fuselage. 

Once built, the Testors/Italeri 1/48 Sled kit looks nothing like the Habu, especially if you look at the poor shape of the nose/forward fuselage/windshield area.

Yeh, it doesn't...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 3:04 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

Serkan, fella

4-some MB of Blackbird scans went up to beautiful Germany divided into four separate e-mails. 

Check 'em out and smile.

Thanks for these reference material. Though I need a bit time bring them together they are awesome.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 04:21, Serkan Sen said:

I have started to draw CAD model from available materials.

I think it’s time to collect the money for your future 1:48 release... Come on Serkan, you’re able to create the best kits of the rarest airplanes (and I’m sure that @LorenSharp will definitely buy it)! 😜

• Haha 2

On 11/16/2019 at 8:04 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

Serkan, fella

Check 'em out and smile.

Cheers,

Everything... :lol:

Unc2

Is there a chance I could receive those scans here in beautiful Texas as well?

17 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks for these rerefence material. Though I need a bit time bring them together they are awesome.

My pleasure, my mate. I took the file to a stationers in order to print the whole 8 files in 1/48th scale.

Wish I could work those computer programs you do, but that's out of my league, unfortunately.

13 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Is there a chance I could receive those scans here in beautiful Texas as well?

Hey, Ranger!

Of course you can; no need to ask. Just drop me yer addy and up they go to beautiful Carrollton (the Squadron.com town!) :lol:

What kit are you planning to use them on?

2 hours ago, Shalako said:

So, I guess it is better to try and convert the Italeri kit to an A-12.🤨

Well, the A-12 ain't my bag, to be honest with you, but that's exactly what Serkan is doing on this thread.

Cheers everyone,

Unc2

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 2:21 AM, Serkan Sen said:

The Italeri kit modification still continues. I will open a new thread to report digital blackbird progress in there.

As I have announced last week I have started a new topic to report porogress in 3D design and printing here:

Of course this thread  will also continue in parallel 🙂

Serkan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

After a long break due to 3D CAD modelling activities I am back with some more progress in real world.

I have decided to add raised panel lines as the original Italeri/Testors kit has. To add these panel lines first I have used masking film with cuts where the raised lines will appear;

1325.jpg

And after then I filled these slots with putty;

1326.jpg

Similarly I did some fixes and repairs on tail cone parts:

1327.jpg

To be honest I have not tried this method before and hope that it will work 😁

Next step will be sanding the excessive putty upto desired panel line height and removing masking films.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 7

The excessive putty was removed using fine sand paper:

1329.jpg

1330.jpg

1331.jpg

Some small repairs are needed especially on lower surface panel lines. But this is not a big problem. Next step will be preparing the mold forms.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

Good job creating the raised panel lines. That’s something I’ve never tried before. I presume success depends the type of putty used (water-based acrylic, solvent-based “Bondo”, etc.). What did you use?

- Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1