Legendary Blackbird - Part 1: A-12 Oxcart (Italeri Conversion)

Serkan Sen

Just to change the subject a bit I have worked on my "Fullanker" (Front fuselage Su-34 "Fullback", the rest Su-33 "Flanker") what-if project during last few days;

1568.jpg

It is now very close to RFI too. You can find full build report here .

On Friday I will apply panel wash to Oxcart.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 8

54 minutes ago, billn53 said:

While we’re waiting for Serkan to finish the Oxcart, here’s an interesting article for you:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32722/cias-predecessor-to-the-sr-71-blackbird-tested-electron-guns-to-hide-from-radars

- Bill

Very long but interesting article. Thanks Bill...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2020 at 11:27 PM, Serkan Sen said:

The model was coated with Future/Pledge again to seal the decals. It will cure for next seven days before oil paint panel wash (I had a bad experience during Flankerstein build, because I didn't have enough patience to wait for completely cured gloss coat).

Since three months this build and her sister M-21 were waiting for panel wash. Although I have shown enough patience to let Future/Pledge to cure I had again bad experience with oil/turpentine panel wash.  Therefore I was looking for a nondestructive panel wash method. I ended up with watercolor paint wash. It can be completely cleaned with water anytime. But still it leaves somehow dull effect on areas where watercolors applied.

Somehow I could not get any good result using Future/Pledge as gloss coat. Maybe I am missing some important points but I won't use it in anymore. I will go back to Model Master gloss coat. I may give try to alclad dull and gloss coats later.

Serkan

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Since three months this build and her sister M-21 were waiting for panel wash. Although I have shown enough patience to let Future/Pledge to cure I had again bad experience with oil/turpentine panel wash.  Therefore I was looking for a nondestructive panel wash method. I ended up with watercolor paint wash. It can be completely cleaned with water anytime. But still it leaves somehow dull effect on areas where watercolors applied.

Somehow I could not get any good result using Future/Pledge as gloss coat. Maybe I am missing some important points but I won't use it in anymore. I will go back to Model Master gloss coat. I may give try to alclad dull and gloss coats later.

Serkan

are you brushing on the Future  or using an airbrush? I've had better luck with the hairy stick. An airbrush if the pressure is above 10-15lbs makes the clearcoat dry too fast before it has a chance to level out and dry glossy. What I've discovered that works  better for me , especially with the regular Alclad paints ,is hi gloss clear lacquer out of the shaker can. A light coat drys almost instantly and from there you can gauge how much more glossy you want the surface. For a wash I've also started using Cheap Acrylic paint for painting pictures thinned down 10-1 or more with I{A. I paint it on with a fine brush the IPA dries quickly the I take an IPA moistened cotton bud to wipe off the excess. the bud just has to be slightly wet, not sopping. If you get too much wick off the excess on a paper towel. What I came to dislike about Future is if it goes on too thick it will run. the wash so far for me has been the cheapest and most consistent to work right. I've tried Artist oils, Black ink, regular black acrylic paints as well. I haven't had the chance to try the new weathering sets from AK they may work better. BUt then your mileage may vary with my system as well.😏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 6/17/2020 at 6:33 PM, LorenSharp said:

are you brushing on the Future  or using an airbrush?

Thanks for your detailed reply Loren. I use airbrush to apply Future/Pledge coat with a pressure setting 15psi. Following the advices on web and YouTube I have tried it with/without thinning with IPA and applied first couple of mist coats and then following relatively heavier/thicker ones. It is not leveling well however. It dries relatively quickly and prone to flow quickly when applied a bit much.

In my Flankerstein build I have used oil paint diluted with odorless Turpentine. But at some areas it ate the paint during wipe off although I lightly moistened the cotton bud.

As suggested one of our fellows I have used zippo lighter fluid to wipe off excessive washes but it was even worser.

Recently I used watercolor 1:1 mixed with water and added a drop of dish soap to break surface tension. The result was good enough and the complete wash can be removed with tap water in seconds.

I will give a chance to gouache paint this week and close this panel wash topic on my side.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

I've had the same problem with the oil paInt/ turpentine route uneven drying.Future usually doesn't require thinning out of the bottle. Now if you wanted to have different s"shades of glossiness to flat, then I would try an ammonia based window cleaner. MY biggest headache though was applying too much and getting runs all over the place. Any more I just used Future for dipping canopies and turrets, lets the part drain for a few seconds or wick off excess on a paper towel. I do know that the high shine alclads don't like any clearcoat or masking whatsoever. The end result is like a bad paint job using a 30 year old bottle of pactra silver if it sticks.The formulation , age or humidity at the time of spraying may also play a part too. I've had those give me fits as well. widsh I could give you better advice.

P.S. just thought of something to try on a scrap piece, if you are using regular rubbing alcohol, try denatured Alcohol. Not sure what it would be called there. sometimes used in camping burners. it's purer 99% with just a trace of a mineral additive so people won't try to drink it. With the Covid-19 I haven't see regular rubbing alcohol on the shelves, that why I tried and was successful with the denatured alcohol for my resin prints. and its cheaper to boot!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use Future for all my clear coats but add Tamiya X-21 in varying amounts to adjust the sheen. The glossier I want it, the less I use. Straight Future with a drop of Windex for gloss coats before decalling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Excellent work, has it been completed

Not yet, what is missing is the panel line wash and I was not sure how to proceed. Instead oil colors wash I was looking for non aggressive method. I did a water (aqua) color wash (not acrylic but similar to gouache) with a great result in my Su-27KIB build:

1733.jpg

Recently I have also bought several colors of Valejo washes but haven't tried yet.

But I made significant progress in my 3D model. I have already printed the complete engine from spike to nozzle to test my 3D resin printer. Most probably I will be able to print front and mid fuselage of A-12, A-12B and M-21 before Sylvester.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 4

• 8 months later...

After a very long break here are some further progress on this project:

Using aqua colors the panel wash was done. First I did a test on lower surface:

2069.jpgthe wash 

Once I saw that the paint works well I did the panel wash on entire aircraft:

2070.jpg

2071.jpg

Using a lightly moistened paper towel all the excessive washes were wiped off and a dull coat was applied to seal panel wash:

2327.jpg

Next step is to finish landing gear assemblies and make the aircraft ready for roll out...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 12

The tyres were painted to mixed white/gray/aluminum color. The nose wheels were painted to white whereas the main wheels were painted to red. The nose and main struts were painted to titanium and chrome-silver:

2321.jpg

2322.jpg

2324.jpg

2325.jpg

2326.jpg

Next step is to assemble all NLG and MLG parts/doors and do final touches on this build before "Ready For Inspection"...

Serkan

• Like 10

´The landing gear assemblies and doors were placed:

2329.jpg

2330.jpg

The pitot tube was taken from 3D printed Oxcart nose:

2328.jpg

Now the project is very close to RFI:

2331.jpg

2323.jpg

The only missing part is the ejection seat but it should not take long time to paint and place it into cockpit tub unless I suddenly decide to print it:

1322.jpg

1321.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, MarkH said:

Might be appropriate, but I notice there is a Black Robin Resinz set on ebay for this conversion https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174926428014?hash=item28ba6d776e:g:cuAAAOSw6o1hNjZ4

I don't have any aftermarket resin set in hand therefore I don't know if this set is good enough to build an accurate Oxcart. Although I did my own resin conversion set I noticed that the quality is far behind of 3D printed one:

1876.jpg

1908.jpg

1916.jpg

2057.jpg

2058.jpg

If you have not seen yet, you can have a look to my another ongoing Oxcart project here:

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3