Legendary Blackbird - Part 1: A-12 Oxcart (Italeri Conversion)

Serkan Sen

The A-12 tail cone lower half was modified from YF-12 clone. Also the louvres were added to both sides:

1366.jpg

All the casted parts were glued together with kit parts:

1368.jpg

Next step is to add some cockpit details...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

I have noticed that only 5 out of 19 followers share their view/opinion or give their likes/comments about this topic... 🤔😁

Same situation with my current builds. People look, maybe give a smiley, but not many comments. A noticeable change from a year ago. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I have noticed that only 5 out of 19 followers share their view/opinion or give their likes/comments about this topic... 🤔😁

The 14 have not replied probably because they are stunned by your modeling skill, technical expertise, and attention to detail. I know I am, but I still try to push the "Like" button.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

There's no need to say anything - we're just watch with the jaws dropped! 😛

• Haha 2

Many thanks to all of you for your reply.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You can only say thats great so many times, before it doesn't seem genuine.

You are absolutely right. But seeing a "like/thanks/smiley" reply is really motivating as it is the only indication that the work done is pulling the others attention.😁

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

As others have aid, it’s difficult to say how much you appreciate the effort put into a build so many times without it sounding hollow and I usually only look at the pictures anyway unless I want to read a description of how something was produced

Gondor

Edited by Gondor44
Speiling
  • Like 2

The Revell/Monogram cockpit is more detailed than the Italeri/Testors cockpit. Therefore I decided to adapt Revell cockpit and instrument panel in my project (although it doesn't represent the real A-12 cockpit):

1369.jpg

First I divided front and rear cockpit parts, then cloned the front part and instrument panel as usual:

1370.jpg

The result  is as follows:

1371.jpg

And the installed cockpit:

1372.jpg

The upper and lower halves were primed and the necessary areas were filled with liquid filler:

1373.jpg

1374.jpg

Next step is to glue upper and lower halves together.

Serkan

• Like 21

5 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

All one can say is your work on this gem is famdamtabulous! There I've said and proud of it!

Thanks Loren,

I am  close to happy end but have not decided yet which machine to build. Here are the candidates:

1200px-A12-flying.jpg

oxcart_down_01.jpg

tumblr_oqgahkYu9w1sgaucto1_1280.jpg

The first prototype 06924 had no wing grooves at the beginning. Also it has triangle patches through the entire chines.

06926 has same painting as M-21 has which I will build her soon.

Therefore most probably I will build 06932.

Serkan

• Like 8

Both halves were glued together and the entire surface was sanded with 600 grid paper till all raised panel lines were gone. Thanks to gray primer it was very easy to rescribe the panel lines simply following the traces of raised ones:

1375.jpg

1376.jpg

1377.jpg

Next step will be adding inboard elevons...

Serkan

• Like 19

I'm still watching in the background. This is not my era or subject matter, but I can always appreciate the skill involved in such major projects. As mentioned though, it would get a little monotonous if I were to post "love it" after every update, even if I do!

Having said that, I love it! 😁

Ian 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/01/2020 at 20:59, Serkan Sen said:

I am  close to happy end but have not decided yet which machine to build.

As for me, the 06932 looks absolutely great, despite if I’m the big fan of the NMF.

On 27/01/2020 at 03:31, Graeme H said:

Oh goody, almost ready for paint, I'm in favour of the first colour scheme, I mean they were called Blackbirds weren't they? :)

You’re right, Graeme!

On 23/01/2020 at 20:59, Serkan Sen said:

Therefore most probably I will build 06932.

Unanimously! 👍

• Thanks 1

The fins were masked for different shades of metallic colors:

1390.jpg

And in parallel the clear parts were casted:

1391.jpg

The decal artwork will be done as next step. But unfortunately there are only 2 reference pictures for the tail number 06932.

1200px-A12-flying.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 5

The 06932 NMF rudder seems same as Mothersip 06940 one:

67798256_146280103128197_102210202656591

D9At-0dXoAAdjM1?format=jpg&name=900x900

From Boeing Museum it is clear that there is a light blue/gray background where tail number was placed:

15423_1478198762.jpg

My question is that if 06932 had the same background/primer beneath the tail number...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

Most probably the paints for tail numbers, stencils and roundels were not sticking well to bare metal/titanium especially at high speed and temperature without having a special coating underneath.

main-qimg-ae7a6dee0fff0490b5e50080c57ebe

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

Finally caught up with this epic build! 

It's just a brilliant piece of project work. Detail analysis, problem solving, fabrication, testing, back to the drawing board... A proper engineering job. 

Superb stuff 👏👏👏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1