Legendary Blackbird - Part 1: A-12 Oxcart (Italeri Conversion)

Serkan Sen

The front upper half was filled-filed-sanded many times to give the final shape and after then coated with primer. The panel lines were drawn with pencil and some panel patches were marked with masking film:

1190.jpg

1191.jpg

1192.jpg

There are some areas to improve surface quality but in overall it seems fine.

I have not decided yet whether I should scribe the panel lines or raise them. Sinked panel lines is easy to do but it won't be consistent with the original kit part as they have raised panel lines unless they will be scribed.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 13

I was not very happy with the nose shape. Even after a long filling-sanding process the nose curvature was still far from having realistic shape.

img_0005-900x600.jpg

1192.jpg

Then I decided to create nose section contours and build a new nose model from these sections.

The sections were cut with cutter/plotter using 0.5mm styrene sheet.

1209.jpg

All sections were glued on planform shape:

1212.jpg

1210.jpg

1211.jpg

The new nose shape looks better than existing one. The next step is to create surface from these sections.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 11

Here are the steps how the new nose was built:

First a well detailed A-12 (actually it is M-21) front view was used to draw sectional profiles following panel lines and rivets:

1203.jpg

Then these sections were mapped to top view drawing and curvatures were replaced with circular arcs:

1204.jpg

After then most representative few sections were used to generate smooth transitions using profile extrusion. Then 12 sections were selected to generate new nose:

1208.jpg

As given in my previous post here are the sections on sytrene sheet:

1209.jpg

And assembled form:

1211.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 14

My respects for having devised the newly shaped nose; unfortunately, now you'll also have to modify the shape of the whole bulkhead area aft of the windshield in the forward fuselage in order to adapt that new profile.

Ask me how I know :banghead: 

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

My respects for having devised the newly shaped nose; unfortunately, now you'll also have to modify the shape of the whole bulkhead area aft of the windshield in the forward fuselage in order to adapt that new profile.

Ask me how I know :banghead: 

Cheers,

Unc2

Yes I know how much work I have to do. But no pain, no gain 🙂

Maybe it would have been easier to take a piece of wood and simply carve it to shape a new front fuselage...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2

The frames were filled with PUR:

1213.jpg

When it was fully cured I started to give its final shape. First starboard side was completed:

1214.jpg

1215.jpg

1205.jpg

After reshaping nose upper half the lower half was copied from existing part using modeling clay and PUR:

1206.jpg

1207.jpg

Finally both halves were glued together to complete new nose:

1216.jpg

1217.jpg

1228.jpg

The new nose looks more realistic than the existing one...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Maybe it would have been easier to take a piece of wood and simply carve it to shape a new front fuselage...

Not quite, Serkan, my mate. From personal experience with my Italeri 1/48 SR-71 kit build, I've learnt that it was possible to raise part of the kit forward fuselage 2mm in order to give room to the new profile of a modified nose at the bulkhead.

It's possible to add 2mm strips in a longitudinal fashion some millimetres below the cockpit window sills like this:

spacer.png

All in all, the height of the forward fuselage is way too shallow on the Testors/Italeri kits, this is why the upper half of the forward fuselage looks squashed, too flat, when viewed from the front.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

All in all, the height of the forward fuselage is way too shallow on the Testors/Italeri kits, this is why the upper half of the forward fuselage looks squashed, too flat, when viewed from the front.

What do you think?

I fully agree. The below photos show the difference between Italeri/Testors and Revell/Monogram kits:

1236.jpg

1237.jpg

1093.jpg

The Revell/Monogram kit has more realistic  nose and fuselage shape (circular fuselage sections with circular arc chines) but the cockpit area ruins everything...

I will do SR-71A mods on Revell/Monogram kit (using the canopy parts from this A-12 mod).

Serkan

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I fully agree. The below photos show the difference between Italeri/Testors and Revell/Monogram kits:

1236.jpg

Wow! Check that out. :blink2: I didn't know about the difference in the Revellogram examples. Too bad there ain't a Revellogram 1/48 Sled kit! I think it'd make a much better basis where to start mods from.

Much likely, yeh...

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neffan said:

Hi Serkan, sure i'm more intersted by the Flanker family but, i can say that your work for this A-12 is really awesome  !

May be you can make a Shenyang J-14 1/72 with resin ...?   🤨

Thanks Neffan,

I have lost my motivation after the aged resin disaster. Two of four Flankers were highly deformed during the desperate heat treatment using kitchen oven 😞

I will restart T-10M series builds soon. I have already casted the forward fuselage halves and also for Su-27IB and Su-33UBM I have casted clear parts.

During last 2 weeks I have painted 20 AA-10, 50 AA-11, 20 AA-12 missiles to have enough armaments for all these Flanker derivatives 🙂

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2

The nose bulkhead had to be modified to match new nose shape:

1229.jpg

1230.jpg

1231.jpg

I started first starboard side;

1233.jpg

1234.jpg

1219.jpg

1220.jpg

The both sides were modified and in overall the result is better than before:

1146.jpg

1227.jpg

1226.jpg

Next step is to coat the parts with primer and to add panel lines.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 15

I am just wondering if any of you have the high resolution copies of these drawings:

Fig71e.jpg

Fig71f.jpg

Fig71g.jpg

YF12lineartwork.gif

I really get tired of never ending sanding/filling/shaping process... Maybe best way is to make 3D CAD modelling and printing all parts with 3D resin printer (which I bought one last week) 🤔

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 5

Hello Serkan,

a hi-res copy of one of the plans shown can be purchased:

http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/catalog/drawndoc.htm

http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/catalog/airdwg33.jpg

Thanks for sharing your building experience, pure inspiration!

Regards,

Martin

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

I really get tired of never ending sanding/filling/shaping process... Maybe best way is to make 3D CAD modelling and printing all parts with 3D resin printer (which I bought one last week) 🤔

I was told you about that:

😋

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MVW said:

Hello Serkan,

a hi-res copy of one of the plans shown can be purchased:

http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/catalog/drawndoc.htm

http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/catalog/airdwg33.jpg

Thanks for sharing your building experience, pure inspiration!

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks lot sharing this link and for your kind words 🙂

5 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

And only $3! A bargain! (I have no connection to Aerospace Projects Review other than as a satisfied customer.)

I fully agree Michael. I have bought it and got the download link within 2 hours. This is exactly what I was looking for... 🙂

Serkan

• Like 1