1/48 - Boeing B-17G by HK Models - Release Oct 19 - Eduard F Summer 2024

Sidders

Hi vppelt68

Good question, its all about the old Airfix 1/72 B-17 BOL nostalgia thing i suppose, it was one of the first kits i built as a young lad and made a fairly decent job of, would like to recreate those old and early memorys as much as anything.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Hi vppelt68

Good question, its all about the old Airfix 1/72 B-17 BOL nostalgia thing i suppose, it was one of the first kits i built as a young lad and made a fairly decent job of, would like to recreate those old and early memorys as much as anything.

Hear, hear... it's there on top of my B-17 pile

2021-01-22_10-30-34

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:52 AM, One 48 said:

Thanks, will look out for this one ... anyone remember the old film/movie  The War Lover? Steve McQueen was in it, B-17's too.

You mean for this clip?

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Still no release date on the F? Not sure if that bodes well for the 1/48 Lanc 

The Lanc was announced some 18hrs ago
www.facebook.com/HKmmodels

Edited by Boman

18 hours ago, Boman said:

The Lanc was announced some 18hrs ago
www.facebook.com/HKmmodels

I know the Lanc was announced 18 hours ago, but given that what has been shared so far is much the same that was shared several months back about the B-17F - a few CADs and a box shot - but with no plastic and certainly no clear release schedule as yet, given the gap in time between the announcement of the two kits its hard to see the Lanc arriving anytime soon. Unless HK are very busy in the background getting both kits ready for quick and consecutive releases? Possible I guess.

I'm generally the kind of person that likes a 'surprise drop release' - a kit suddenly dropped into circulation with little or even no 'lead-up fanfare', such as with the Meng 1/48 F/A-18E rather than one that suffers from 'geologic reveal' (first CADs then more CADs then even more CADs then some bits then more bits and on and on and... oh, am I suddenly 3 years older? :wink:).

Part of is also impatience. I've always liked the Lanc since building the Novo kits as a young kid at the beginning of the 80's and always wanted to make a real piece of art at 1/48, or at least as much as my skills will allow, and when HK announced their re-scaled B-17 I held huge hope they would follow suit with the Lanc. At the same time and for a combination of fairly complex reasons (including, but not limited to an eye condition) my actual ability to build modes has unfortunately started to decline (also the reason I have so many partly-progressed kits on the 'work-bench' rather than completed builds ready to share here 😢) and so there are a few subjects (the Lanc being one, the HK Memphis Belle being another) that I am really hoping will 'land' while I am still capable enough to build them and do so to a level that I will feel happy with. 

• Like 1

Its on its way, thats good enough for me :) I'll deffo order one too to do as Memphis Belle, gotta have me a 1/48 HK Lanc too, hope they do a 617 Dambuster as well.

Actually went ahead and ordered a "Bit of Lace" decal sheet the other day for my current HK 1/48 B-17G, a Cheynne turret conversion A/M would be nice, but you can spend your whole life waiting for such things, gonna go ahead and build my HK B-17G with BoL decals and if its wrong, so be it, it will look right to me and that is what is important, nobody else will see it but me :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

You can always get back to it later and replace the tail when you get the Cheyenne parts for it, if you still wish to do it then - that's exactly what the Mighty Eighth did back then :winkgrin:.

Now have fun with your BoL build!

Thanks, was hoping I'd be able to do that 👍

• 2 years later...
20 minutes ago, Rakovica said:

Sorry, just noticed the announcemet on the other topic.

No. You're right Rakovica. My fault. The SBS sets are for the 1/48th HK Fortress kit not for the 1/32nd one. :blush:

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Just had a chat with SBS about this set. If sales are good enough, a cockpit set will follow. That'll be great as the HK kit could do with a few improvements in that area. Edit: this comment applies to the 1/48 kit.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Boman said:

Anyone know when the B-17G late version will come out? (With the Cheyenne tail turret and staggered waist guns)

Have HK announced that they intend to do the late version? I hope so as there is a lot of people that want one. I've got the early, but would certainly pick up a late as well.

• Like 1

It's noteworthy that some of their pre-production G kits originally contained the clear parts for the K-6 type waist windows as well, which were usualy carried on the staggered waist planes, in addition to the K-5 type for the non-staggered version in the box. Those surplus parts were later removed in the production G kits. So I'd say they're planning to do the late version as well, but when would that be, I have no idea.

Edited by Rakovica
  • Like 1

Note that this set is specific for earlier blocks. I quote Karl Hauffe from a B-17 FB group, thank you Karl:

"The main thing they have addressed here is the controls forward of the bombardiers panel. Anyone who has built the Monogram kit knows they have a small stand with a half round top just forward of the bombardiers panel. This was only on Boeing built Forts and only through Block 40. The Lockheed/Vega (through Block 40) and Douglas (through Block 35) birds had the same setup as the F and earlier models. The difference was a cable system for the racks on the Boeing birds and a push/pull tube system for the others. After these Blocks, the racks were electrically controlled so there was no pedestal, no cables and no push/pull tubes."

So, for most of the DL and all BO and VE staggered waist blocks this set is not correct anyway, just as they have labeled it too. For the current HK kit variant, unless you want to build a G-45-BO (only block) or a few Vegas, this is correct. If and when a later block kit will be brought out, I believe SBS will cater for that too if these have sold well enough. V-P

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

If and when a later block kit will be brought out, I believe SBS will cater for that too if these have sold well enough. V-P

That's right. I'd just add that the plans for the navigator position & cockpit are already in preparation, but their realisation will depend on the sales of this first set released.

• Like 2