1/48 - Boeing B-17G by HK Models - Release Oct 19 - Eduard F Summer 2024

Sidders

10 minutes ago, Mark Proulx said:

Yes, different markings would be nice, though aftermarket likely to step in.

I would hope to see an optional nose perspex representing the more common gun configuration.

Mark Proulx

That's what I was thinking to, aftermarket decals. If only they would do an E.

48 minutes ago, James S. said:

If only they would do an E.

The 1/32nd release came with the heavier framed E nose piece so fingers crossed they’ve included this in the 1/48 release as well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, has the HK B-17F 1/48 been released yet in UK?

Have their 1/48 early production B-17G, but think I might prefer the F especially if I could built it as Memphis Belle if anyone knows that is possible? no B17 expert here I'm afraid :)

8 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That nose blister looks a tad too long and pointy in the photos. Of course, it could just be the camera.

I did think that too, hopefully its fine on the production kit.

Also, is the sort of pear shaped nose profile at the blister point correct? I'd imagine so, again no B-17 experten here but pretty sure the profile on my HK B-17G is more circular ? would need to dig kit out again to check ... I do know HK corrected the nose profile at front canopy point on the 1/48 B-17G ... so hard to imagine HK making further mistakes on the nose area for this B-17F kit ... stranger things have happened though!

I guess the HK-B17F has not been released yet and no unboxings to check?

On 2/2/2021 at 2:59 PM, One 48 said:

So, has the HK B-17F 1/48 been released yet in UK?

Have their 1/48 early production B-17G, but think I might prefer the F especially if I could built it as Memphis Belle if anyone knows that is possible? no B17 expert here I'm afraid :)

The boxart two posts up is a dead giveaway if it can be built as the Belle. Or were you joking?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scooby said:

The boxart two posts up is a dead giveaway if it can be built as the Belle. Or were you joking?

No mate, I'm merely clueless :) Glad to know kit can be built as Memphis Belle, thanks.

While I'm here and typing ... in the film, Memphis Belle ... and I do concede the film is not a source of accuracy, but the waist gun positions seem staggered, this does not seem the case in this new boxing?

I do have the original HK 1/48 B-17G and was somewhat dismayed I could not accurately build her as "A Bit o Lace" as a tribute to my childhood memory's of the old 1/72 Airfix kit, had hoped this new HK kit would make a nice Belle and sell on my HK B-17G to make room for it, thanks buddy.

I'm clueless about B-17s, sorry, really am but keen to learn.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, One 48 said:

No mate, I'm merely clueless :) Glad to know kit can be built as Memphis Belle, thanks.

While I'm here and typing ... in the film, Memphis Belle ... and I do concede the film is not a source of accuracy, but the waist gun positions seem staggered, this does not seem the case in this new boxing?

I do have the original HK 1/48 B-17G and was somewhat dismayed I could not accurately build her as "A Bit o Lace" as a tribute to my childhood memory's of the old 1/72 Airfix kit, had hoped this new HK kit would make a nice Belle and sell on my HK B-17G to make room for it, thanks buddy.

I'm clueless about B-17s, sorry, really am but keen to learn.

Thanks.

The film ‘Memphis Belle’ used mainly G models back dated to resemble F models. There was one genuine F, and David Tallichet’s G model back dated to unstagger the waist guns. All others were Gs with staggered waist guns. 

To build Bit O Lace from the 1/48th HK G kit you’d need to source a Cheyenne tail gun, but other than that it’s good to go. 

Looking at the renderings it’s good to see the ball turret without ammo cans (these were not used on WW2 era ball turrets with all ammo stored internally) as well as the modified and corrected nose. To really split hairs, the walkway around the ball turret should go down the starboard side on an pre-staggered waist gun B-17, but overall it looks like a great kit. 

Tom

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, One 48 said:

...I could not accurately build her as "A Bit o Lace" as a tribute to my childhood memory's of the old 1/72 Airfix kit

Just think that almost all of those zillion "A Bit O'Laces" had wrong type of waists - Airfix kit had them staggered, Vega in their Block 40 didn´t. V-P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

You are thinking of the wrong film. 

This is the original film and is definitive as a source of accuracy

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036152/

Thanks, will look out for this one ... anyone remember the old film/movie  The War Lover? Steve McQueen was in it, B-17's too.

9 hours ago, tomprobert said:

To build Bit O Lace from the 1/48th HK G kit you’d need to source a Cheyenne tail gun, but other than that it’s good to go. 

Tom

Thanks Tom and don't doubt you one bit mate, but pretty sure I read on here or perhaps elsewhere that HK's 1/48 B-17G would not make a convincing rendition of a "A Bit O Lace" because its waist gun positions are not staggered and Laces were???

The sourcing of a Cheyenne tail gun for kit ... if thats all is really needed, surely it would be in production now, when you say source one I presume that means they must exist, but where, who makes them?

If I can make a convincing Bit O Lace from my HK B-17G, then I'll do it, start work on it tomorrow even, but I know too that Cheyenne tail gun correction will be needed ... where, when and how please? :)

1 hour ago, One 48 said:

Thanks Tom and don't doubt you one bit mate, but pretty sure I read on here or perhaps elsewhere that HK's 1/48 B-17G would not make a convincing rendition of a "A Bit O Lace" because its waist gun positions are not staggered and Laces were???

The sourcing of a Cheyenne tail gun for kit ... if thats all is really needed, surely it would be in production now, when you say source one I presume that means they must exist, but where, who makes them?

If I can make a convincing Bit O Lace from my HK B-17G, then I'll do it, start work on it tomorrow even, but I know too that Cheyenne tail gun correction will be needed ... where, when and how please? :)

Bit O Lace had the three-pane unstagggered waist gun set up exactly as depicted in the new 1/48 HK kit. 

There was a Cheyenne conversion done by Koster but these are very hard to come by. A company called Resin2Detail did one too, but again hard to find. The old Monogram kit was even reissued under the Promodeller brand and that too had a Cheyenne turret in the box, with markings for BOL if memory serves me correctly. Finding one now, however, is tough I’m afraid.

Tom

• Like 1

What we really need is a late model G from HK eventually, and then most options would be possible with some cross kitting....but that would mean forking out on two kits of course. The fort I want to build has staggered waist gun positions but the earlier stinger tail. Either that, or it's a little bit of converting and scratch building which would be no great headache either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Bit O Lace had the three-pane unstagggered waist gun set up exactly as depicted in the new 1/48 HK kit. 

There was a Cheyenne conversion done by Koster but these are very hard to come by. A company called Resin2Detail did one too, but again hard to find. The old Monogram kit was even reissued under the Promodeller brand and that too had a Cheyenne turret in the box, with markings for BOL if memory serves me correctly. Finding one now, however, is tough I’m afraid.

Tom

Thanks Tom, going to hang on to my HK B-17G and order up a BOL decal sheet soon, have seen them, but want to do it right ... surely Eduard or similar will step up to the plate and produce a Cheyenne tail gunner position conversion soon?  Hope so, its a fantastic looking kit even OOB but stock decal options seem a bit dull to me!