1/48 - Boeing B-17G by HK Models - Release Oct 19 - Eduard F Summer 2024

Sidders

Got the notification this afternoon my back order was in stock,. Much excited so it is nowl paid for at the Mighty H. Will arrive for the festive season. 

Alright, mine came in for a perfect landing today from her mission! Popped it open and she looks good! A whole lotta parts in that box that's for sure. Moldings look nice and she'll build into a big bird. My one and only complaint are the little plastic 'nubbins' festooned along the edges of the fuselage. I wouldn't mind them too much, except that they carry over onto the mating surface... I guess HK wanted me to snip and sand a little more that usual.

Anyway, a solid 8.5/10. Don't know when/if I'll ever get to her, but I got her!

Mine arrived in Canada from HLJ, only four days after I ordered it.

I haven’t opened it yet, each year at Christmas I sneak a gift under the tree and label it “To Dad, From Dad.” This will be the one!

• Haha 2

Mine arrived today from HLJ in Japan. I was expecting a bigger box TBH, but the contents look good enough. The quality of the moldings is superb. I’ll have to dig out one of my copies of the Monogram kit to do a side-by-side comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly I didn't give up ... 

7 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Jeez The pill shaped things are oxygen bottles. Do a bit of basic research. As for tedious masking use a flipping brush! 

I gave up after that due to language and general attitude!

TT

I watched all four episodes that he has up to the woodgrain work. I can look past the language thing but his attitude is what got me. When I came back after my 10 year hiatus in 2014 i studied a lot of online builds and blogs. In my estimation Ive never really been impressed by “doogs’ models”, as his writing style leaves a lot to be desired. Is he a good model builder yes, does he do his research... sometimes. The mere fact that he had no idea they were O2 tanks is just sad. In the end I let others follow him if they like his work,  he's really just not my taste. 
       Now as for the actual kit, from what i can see the exterior is probably very good. The interior doesn't seem all that much different than the older Monogram offering. Ive built 3 of them so i do know something of them. The cockpit seating is improved, and the separate entry area for the nose compartments is nice. The molded O2 tanks the same, same with control yokes Is it worth paying 4 x the cost of the Monogram kit ? In my opinion no not really but then again I'm slightly biased so don't take my word on it. 

Dennis

I think the Monogram kit still holds it's own, but I do like the HK kit too. As for cost, if I had bought the resin bomb bay for my Monogram 17 that I was going to, then I would have been almost in the same cost ballpark as the HK kit, so I'm happy with that trade off. The HK kit certainly shines in the exterior detail department, but the interior detail isn't as great as I had hoped for. It doesn't matter so much anyway as I've forked out for the Eduard interior stuff as I did for the Monogram kit. Bottom line is that most of it probably won't be seen anyway. I've also read over on Hyperscale about issues with warped wings. My kit seems absolutely fine As for fat fuselages etc, putting the Monogram fuselage together with the HK kit shows very little difference, except towards the rear gunner's position where the HK kit does not taper as much as the Monogram kit. It does though seem that HK have somehow inverted the shape of the outboard nacelles. Fit wise, the HK kit seems to be a dream so far. As for Doogs, I'm not sure the presentation style is quite my thing either, but his work on the control yokes was pretty impressive. 

Steve

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

As for fat fuselages etc, putting the Monogram fuselage together with the HK kit shows very little difference, except towards the rear gunner's position where the HK kit does not taper as much as the Monogram kit.

Could that be because of the standard tail guns molded in the Monogram kit. Versus the optional tail thats being done for these ? I always thought that the Cheyenne tails looked rounder than the standard tail due to the turret differences. 

It doesn't matter so much anyway as I've forked out for the Eduard interior stuff as I did for the Monogram kit.

Fair enough as most of it wont be visible. 

It does though seem that HK have somehow inverted the shape of the outboard nacelles. Fit wise, the HK kit seems to be a dream so far.

Thats a first on the nacelles that I've heard good to know for future reference. Same for the fit, after watching the “Doogs’ “ build i was a bit concerned. Especially when he taped it all together. It looked like there could be some gap issues with the upper spine piece. While I'm at it how well do the wings/fuselage look for gaps ? Id like to know for future reference ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thats a first on the nacelles that I've heard good to know for future reference. Same for the fit, after watching the “Doogs’ “ build i was a bit concerned. Especially when he taped it all together. It looked like there could be some gap issues with the upper spine piece. While I'm at it how well do the wings/fuselage look for gaps ? Id like to know for future reference ? 

Dennis

I didn’t notice the outer nacelles either until it was pointed out in a discussion on a different site.  From my estimation they sit about 3mm high.  If you look at the outside of the outboard engines there’s a small access panel that should sit right in the middle of the  wing but it’s slightly higher.  Doesn’t really bother me.  Like the slight fatness of the fuselage, the more I look at it the more I don’t notice it.

In terms of fit, one of the wings on mine is perfect while the other is slightly off with a small gap on the top but It looks like filing off a little material from the top half of the wing will remedy it and it will be a non issue.  Bottoms of both wings are perfect.  Stabilizers are perfect too and the top fuselage piece looks to be a good fit too, but it’s probably going to be a piece you want to start gluing at one end and slowly work your way to the other.  Without being glued, the main fuselage pieces want to “lean” in at the top so that’s why it doesn’t look the best when dry fitting.  You’ll want to be careful cutting/cleaning the sprue gates on the top piece.

Two areas I would suggest taking a close look at are the tail and nose sections.  The instructions call to install both AFTER the fuselage is closed but depending on the fit you may want to install the pieces before gluing the fuselage.  On mine, I’m gluing the tail pieces on before hand but haven’t decided with the nose yet...the fit might be good enough to do afterwards but the fit of the tail was not.  I’ll gladly deal with a small gap on the top and bottom rather than with a step on the sides.

Edited by Matt B
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt B said:

From my estimation they sit about 3mm high.

That’s probably pretty close. If you look at the Monogram kit, the nacelles have a step to account for the center of the step being below the chord line of the wing where the wing halves are split. The step is maybe 3mm, maybe a little bit more. It would be a lot more work to correct than it’s probably worth to the appearance of the finished kit.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Could that be because of the standard tail guns molded in the Monogram kit. Versus the optional tail thats being done for these ? I always thought that the Cheyenne tails looked rounder than the standard tail due to the turret differences. 

Dennis

No - the rear fuselage diameter was the same right down to the first window of the tail turret. The Cheyenne tail emplacement actually made use of the first window, and these were identical to the earlier stinger tail with the newer bulged glazing being fitted to the original window of the earlier version. 

As for the video review shared - agreed that the modelling skills on show are impressive - great to see a B-17 interior being painted accurately (despite the ‘life rafts’) but all that work spent on wooden floors was more or less wasted due to the fact black rubber anti-slip mats were usually fitted!

There certainly seems to be quite a few YouTube builders where any release of any model is slated - to me the HK looks fantastic - not that I’ve built one yet - and any problems encountered seem very minor. Perhaps it’s time for some of these ‘modellers’ to take up making jigsaw puzzles where each and every part will fit perfectly and there’ll be no ‘stress’ whatsoever in getting to the finished article 😉

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tomprobert said:

As for the video review shared - agreed that the modelling skills on show are impressive - great to see a B-17 interior being painted accurately (despite the ‘life rafts’) but all that work spent on wooden floors was more or less wasted due to the fact black rubber anti-slip mats were usually fitted!

Hi Tom;

Was it here, or over on LSP that you gave the low down on accurate B-17G interior colours? I've been trying to find the thread (in vain!) I'm getting ready to tackle the kit, and would really like to get the interior spot on (well, all of it if I can). I'm building a Douglas built 35 block aircraft. This one is very personal to me, so I hope I can get it right as much as possible. 

Any idea how accurate the A Grainger drawings are? Because if they are good, then the HK kit is very close. Regarding the outboard nacelles: I was getting confused as there seemed to be a differing opinion over on Hyperscale about the thrust line of the props. I sure someone posted drawings that showed them below the centre of the leading edge, yet but other drawings (A Grainger's included) show the thrust line central to the horizontal leading edge line. The HK kit has them this way. Either way, those nacelles look too high. I'm just not sure if I want to tackle sorting them out.

Steve

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Hi Tom; Was it here, or over on LSP that you gave the low down on accurate B-17G interior colours? I've been trying to find the thread (in vain!) -snip- Steve

Of course here at Britmodeller! There´s a ton of B-17 modelling experience to be read at the B-17 STGB we had only a year ago. Here´s a link to the reference thread where I collected all the precious information from Tom´s posts :yahoo:.

veppelt68;

Thanks for the link to the info. Very helpful and just what I needed and confirmed what I thought was correct. I wonder how much of the floor was covered with the anti slip matting and how much natural wood would show?

Steve