1/48 - Boeing B-17G by HK Models - Release Oct 19 - Eduard F Summer 2024

Sidders

On 10/6/2019 at 7:52 AM, Richard123 said:

I was hoping to read about the HK B-17 when I opened this thread but all I find is talk about how good/bad Monogram kits are! Can we get back to the point please. Why not open another thread to discuss Monogram?

Agreed 😐

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gooney Fan said:

Hello

I too would like to know the release date.

I've got all new decals in stock waiting for it's release..

Gooney Fan

I think at the moment as mentioned we're looking at a Oct/Nov release date :) 

DROOL 🤯🤪🥳 !!!

I know the recessed rivet treatment will not please everybody but... boy I like it, so many different rivet diameters, and the biggest seem to me totally acceptable at that scale. It looks so supple, almost Tamiya-esque.

Beautiful surface finish. Excellent part definition. Splendid crystal-clear clear parts and apparently no nasty effects on the glass nose.

I regret the non positionable controls, 1 piece control yoke and engine (which still look okay) but there is so much more to love in this kit that the 3 cons are easily forgotten. Of course just my personal opinion.

In this price range (is it USD 120-130 ?), I think it will be a great success.

A BIG thank you Hong Kong Models !!!

• Like 2

Awesome news! The B-17 is one of my favorite aircraft & my introduction to scale modeling when I was a kid with the Revell version! I was waiting this announce for years! I will definitely be a buyer but keeping some money for a potential « E » / « F » version more elegant to my eyes! 😊

For reasons mentionned above, I will keep my 2 good & old Monogram kits because they are just a joy to build & make me forget their little mistakes...

cheers

Frank

On 10/4/2019 at 7:51 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

It's perfectly clear, Dennis, my mate; sincerely. I've been building the 1/48 range of Monogram aircraft kits since I was a toddler, and I've always liked them for their accurate shape. Detail is important, no doubt, but there are times you are better off with shape accuracy than detail. It's obviously much easier to fix the lack of detail in a kit than it's to fix shape issues.

More Monogram kits that I recall being better shapewise than the new-tool ones:

1/48 Monogram Warthog kit vs Tamiya and Hobby Boss ones

1/48 Monogram Mitchell kit vs Accurate Miniatures one

Sure more will come to mind later.

Yeh, me is...

Cheers,

Unc2

I’ve often wondered if we feel Monogram shapes are the accurate standard because we have trained our minds to those shapes because we all built them so often.

I know a lot of new tool kits look awful, especially the Trumpeter C-47. But how many errors do the Monogram kits also have?

Just a thought.

On 10/5/2019 at 2:51 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

"It's perfectly clear, Dennis, my mate; sincerely. I've been building the 1/48 range of Monogram aircraft kits since I was a toddler..."

So have I and mine look like they've been built by a toddler!

• Haha 3

On 10/4/2019 at 11:36 AM, Scimitar F1 said:

Quick Q - from the parts breakdown, particularly the fairing behind the cockpit as a separate part - are we going to get a C/D as well as an E/F?

There won’t be the scope to make a C/D from this mould.

The rear fuselage is totally different from the rear radio room bulkhead back, shorter nose, totally different turtle deck layout for the cockpit area, mods needed to the wings, flight deck internals very different...

I think the only option for a 1/48th shark-tailed Fort will remain the Koster conversion for the foreseeable future. I’m part-way through converting the Monogram G and it really is a beautiful conversion kit - very comprehensive and fits like a glove. I wonder if it’ll fit the HK kit as well as it does the Monogram? 

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

There won’t be the scope to make a C/D from this mould.

Tom: I know you know your B-17s. Is there anywhere that catalogues the differences between the various mods and BO, DL and VE built fortresses. I'm trying to figure out how to arrive at a B-17G-35-DL with the new HK kit, but apart from the wing tip tank vents and staggered waist gun positions, I'm struggling. 

Steve

1 minute ago, fightersweep said:

Tom: I know you know your B-17s. Is there anywhere that catalogues the differences between the various mods and BO, DL and VE built fortresses. I'm trying to figure out how to arrive at a B-17G-35-DL with the new HK kit, but apart from the wing tip tank vents and staggered waist gun positions, I'm struggling. 

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm on hols at the moment and away from my references, but when I’m back I’ll do some digging for you. Hold fire until next week. 

Tom

3 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Hi Steve,

I'm on hols at the moment and away from my references, but when I’m back I’ll do some digging for you. Hold fire until next week. 

Tom

Thanks Tom. I appreciate that. I do have a few photos of the aircraft I want to build that will be helpful that already highlight some other differences. One of these are the waistgun windows. The gun mount looks almost like a field mod, but I've seen it on other 35-DLs, which is interesting. I've also heard that the nose glazing might differ, so I've come to the conclusion that it might be a minefield for the unwary! 🙂

Steve

I have been looking into the Monogram kit as its mentione here quite a lot.

I noticed on Ebay that a number of modellers are selling the Monogram kit presumably to get the funds  for the HK version.

I spotted this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monogram-1-48-B-17G-Flying-Fortress/133197537230?hash=item1f03311fce:g:394AAOSw1mZdndTH

and saw that numerous AM products are readily available for the Monogram/Revell kit so are they compatible ???

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

numerous AM products are readily available for the Monogram/Revell kit so are they compatible ???

I'm not sure, but I've got a bit of resin and etch for the Monogram kit, so I will try it when I get the HK kit in my hands.

To be honest though, I reckon we'll see a lot of aftermarket appear for the HK kit fairly quickly. I think I'm going to keep my Monogram kit to build anyway so I'll use the extras I have for it eventually.

Steve

On 10/14/2019 at 7:33 PM, Scooby said:

But how many errors do the Monogram kits also have?

Not every Monogram kit is accurate; like I said, the Monogram 1/48 B-29 kit is awful, but still the only game in town. The SBD Dauntless kit, although correct in shape, is WAY too much toy-like for my taste. 

Still wondering whether or not the F4F Wildcat kit was just as toy-like as the SBD one. They're accurate in shape, tho.

18 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

So have I and mine look like they've been built by a toddler!

:lol: The Monogram 1/48 A6M5 kit had very thick wings. It looked as though the wings had been blown air inside! 

Yeh, it did...

Cheers,

Unc2

I don´t understand a lobbying for "early" Fortress as B/C/D. You need a complete new mold for fuselage, tail etc... Completely different aircraft and economical suicide. Monogram know why don´t make this version...

Maybe as resin or 3D printed conversion set ? But i can´t see a price tag.... for huge aircraft as Flying Fortress.

Conversion is only way to early B-17 in quarter scale. Unfortunately, isn´t a ´90, why Academy - Minicraft released their completed family of B-17. But in small scale. I know, early Fortress is beautiful bomber and fight in early stage of Pacific campaign... but F or G was better choice for "Milking cow".