1/48 - Boeing B-17G by HK Models - Release Oct 19 - Eduard F Summer 2024

Sidders

3 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Thanks Homebee! It certainly looks very nice to my eye, and it seems that the fuselage cross section in front of the windscreen has been fixed on this kit. My pre-order is in on this one for sure!

Steve

• Like 1

:analintruder: Oh, very nice! Not only do I see an open bomb bay option but also deployed flaps as well.

Will gladly buy this one even though I've got another Monogram kit + Verlinden Super Detail Set to go with it in the stash.

Congrats to HK Models on this release.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

It does look slightly out of shape but as said above, a little sanding would fix that. That's a part of modelling.:nod:

But still, getting the iconic shape of the tail wrong makes me more concerned about other slight deviances.

• Like 1

Quick Q - from the parts breakdown, particularly the fairing behind the cockpit as a separate part - are we going to get a C/D as well as an E/F?

The design philosophy is, I think, a very good one. Not too complicated a build, accurate and giving lots of scope for super-detailing. I can see a Coastal Command aircraft coming out of this!

My Monogram kit has just become a collectors item.

Will

• Like 1

This is glorious. I am going to save all of the 'ah... it's nothing that a bit of sanding and filler can't fix... we'll buy it any way' posts for the next time we have an equivalent to the AMK Tomcat 'but look at the shape of it's back... look... look... it's ruined!' thread. :D😉

My benchmark for 'accuracy complaints' remains the MPC/Airfix Space 1999 Eagle. The kit didn't even look like the picture on the box, and that was an artistic interpretation of what was on the screen. 

The HK 1/48 B-17 looks like a B-17 and even quacks like one so it goes straight into my shopping cart!

• Like 2

One key thing I really like about HK's engineering choice is their decision to carry over the wing connection approach from the 1/32 kit. Due to my itinerant nature one of the greatest challenges to my model making has been finding ways to limit the damage from trying to transport fully built kits. It didn't matter how much investment I made in innovative packing and transport solutions (and believe me the investment has been substantial) there wasn't a single kit that arrived at its destination that didn't look like it had had an Alan Carter landing. This led me to develop my own engineering choices - from retractable undercarriage, hinged canopies and removable ordinance with the larger kits having entire structures detachable - all to increase survivability - but which also slowed my builds 'massively' (hence my dearth of finished products on BM) so the above, for me, will be a real hassle saver. 

I’ll be getting one for sure. First thing I really want to do is put one of the fuselage halves up to a monogram fuselage half and compare. 

May end up building this up as 909 in light of recent events. 

A few take aways from the pics. I wish there was an option for closed cowl flaps. Noticed there is what looks like options for down or up landing gear. Separate flaps, all the nice antenna that you normally need to make as there is little option for aftermarket. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, B-17 man said:

First thing I really want to do is put one of the fuselage halves up to a monogram fuselage half and compare. 

Why? I’m genuinely curious! 

What happens if the two parts align? Is it like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters? What if they ‘don’t’ align? Is it worse?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

What if they ‘don’t’ align? Is it worse?

Relax, Nestor... :rolleyes:

If the fuselage halves don't align it won't be the first time an old Monogram kit eats a new-tool one for breakfast shapewise.

Examples abound as of late.

Yeh, they do...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1