1/48 - Boeing B-17G by HK Models - Release Oct 19 - Eduard F Summer 2024

Sidders

3 hours ago, Silver Seraph said:

Yummy, that USD 118 is a very reasonable MRSP for what looks to be a detailed new tech kit. Get the nose right, get rid of all the 1/32 kits inaccuracies and I am looking at buying 2 kits.

I'm with you there. That's not a bad price at all.

Edit: Well, it's on the Hannants website today with a 10% off off the RRP if pre-ordered. Might bang an order in. I have a feeling this is going to sell fast as a lot of people have been asking for a new 1/48 B-17 for a long time, and now we have one. I hope they sell by the bucket load, and I think HK deserve a bit of subject exclusivity for a while......before that Tamiya kit everyone was convinced about gets released! 🙂 

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thats 6 months of modeling budget for me so to rich for my wallet. I can pick up the monogram for about $25 and deal with its issues. 

Same here. The Monogram kit is easily picked up for £20 - 25 here too. It's just that there were prices of $200+ being put out there recently, so the $118 RRP seems reasonable for a new kit of this size. I'm guessing there will be some retailers selling it for less at some point. 

I've got the Monogram kit in the stash, and it was edging nearer to the top of the build pile. I was looking at getting things like the Resin2Detail bomb bay set along with other aftermarket, and this would have pushed the price of the build to £200 plus.  The HK kit may actually work out cheaper for me, which is why I have personally decided to go for it. If it is a similar RRP here in the UK, then it's about the same price as the old Tamiya Lancaster, so I'm happy with that.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 3

Fantastic news!!! You’ll make a fortune! Hope you really corner the market with these, Lanc etc. Though I love 32, these big bombers are just, well, too big! 48th perfect and sooo long overdue.

Doing the Lanc as well 👍👍👍😍. Will be getting one of these as soon as I can.

Please consider down sizing your lovely Mosquito XVI, only the old Airfix kit (🥴) to compete with other than a difficult and not very accurate conversion set for the Tamiya kit. Must have the data? 😊😍

lovely box art as usual. Heaven. 

5 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Ok... looks like I will never start my Monogram kit, but will sell it to raise funds instead. I wonder if i should keep the resin bits...

You read my mind Sir! I think I'll be keeping my resin and etch just in case.

Steve

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 5:37 PM, JohnT said:

The Monogram kit was released in 1975. It will be interesting to make a comparison to see how far moulding has come and indeed whether the new kit has the same impact in the minds of the buyers.  The new model will be better obviously but after some 44 years - yes that’s 44 years and hands up those of us who remember it - just how good was Monogram back in the day? 

Oh lordy- now I feel old😩, but I agree with all who say HKM are right to go to 1/48th. Yes the Monogram kit was and still is a good kit for its age, but we seem to be in a world where the demand for building kits OOB is the preference- and if that keeps people interested in our hobby, that's good.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Ok... looks like I will never start my Monogram kit, but will sell it to raise funds instead. I wonder if i should keep the resin bits...

Go on build it,🤔 you know you want to🤗 while I'm pleased to see a new B17 in 1/48th - you'll probably kick yourself for not creating a unique B 17 with an older kit and after market refining. 

After two (Monogram) B17's under my belt, one of which has a scratch built Cheyane  turret, I am happy I put my own mark on it.🖒

• Like 3

So use to looking at Monogram and this is certainly eye candy for this guy. Little bit of hesitation as to the cowl flaps but I will certainly buy 1-2. Nothing that Vector or Quickboost cannot fix. All in all a Great Leap Forward. 

Edited by 28ZComeback

On 9/25/2019 at 11:26 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thats 6 months of modeling budget for me so to rich for my wallet. I can pick up the monogram for about $25 and deal with its issues. 

I know the feeling. $118US is about £96. It's actually a lot less than I was expecting but, it is still about 3-4 months of my budget but, very reasonable by todays standard for such a kit.

The Monogram and Revell B-17 kits are quite easily available here for the £25 - £30 Mark. If I were in the market for a 1/48 B-17, I'd do the same as you. I can live with them. My budget would not stretch to any after market frippery, apart from decals so, they would be out of box build anyway.

Allan

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

after market frippery

Good Lord Sir! A business opportunity just asking to be launched! "After Market Frippery Ltd". Purveyors of useless aftermarket items to the gentry that will never be seen on your finished build, yet us modellers will be compelled to hoover up anyway. You can't lose!

(Rare senisible hat on....good points well made!)

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Good Lord Sir! A business opportunity just asking to be launched! "After Market Frippery Ltd". Purveyors of useless aftermarket items to the gentry that will never be seen on your finished build, yet us modellers will be compelled to hoover up anyway. You can't lose!

(Rare senisible hat on....good points well made!)

Steve

😂. Now that I am currently unemployed I might take you up on that! The new kit does look rather nice though!

Joking apart, I have to be realistic Steve and just make the best I can out of what comes out of the box!

For those that can stretch to this kit, I hope you enjoy it😊

Allan

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

😂. Now that I am currently unemployed I might take you up on that! The new kit does look rather nice though!

Joking apart, I have to be realistic Steve and just make the best I can out of what comes out of the box!

For those that can stretch to this kit, I hope you enjoy it😊

Sorry to hear that! I got made redundant eight years ago from what was a dream job. Must admit I fell into a bit of a gloom for about a year. In the end though, me and the mrs started our own business and I haven't looked back. Sincerely though...good luck for the future! 😊

Must admit, that normally, I would have been happy with the Monogram kit. However, this one is a bit personal for me as I have always wanted to build a kit of a Fortress I researched about 20 years ago. I got the full combat diary from manufacture to scrapping at Kingman, and corresponded with many of the crews that flew on the 130 missions she completed. It's the one in the little picture on my signature line....so this kit is one I'm happy to push the boat out for. I did get the 1/32 HK B-17 for Christmas a few years ago just for that purpose, but when I realised I would need to extend the house to display it, I moved it on. This kit seems like a happy compromise. Apart from that, I generally love my old kits. Never happier than when I'm slapping together an old Matchbox, Frog or Airfix kit....no aftermarket of course! (not unless After Market Frippery Ltd becomes a thing! 🙂 )

Steve

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Sorry to hear that! I got made redundant eight years ago from what was a dream job. Must admit I fell into a bit of a gloom for about a year. In the end though, me and the mrs started our own business and I haven't looked back. Sincerely though...good luck for the future! 😊

Must admit, that normally, I would have been happy with the Monogram kit. However, this one is a bit personal for me as I have always wanted to build a kit of a Fortress I researched about 20 years ago. I got the full combat diary from manufacture to scrapping at Kingman, and corresponded with many of the crews that flew on the 130 missions she completed. It's the one in the little picture on my signature line....so this kit is one I'm happy to push the boat out for. I did get the 1/32 HK B-17 for Christmas a few years ago just for that purpose, but when I realised I would need to extend the house to display it, I moved it on. This kit seems like a happy compromise. Apart from that, I generally love my old kits. Never happier than when I'm slapping together an old Matchbox, Frog or Airfix kit....no aftermarket of course! (not unless After Market Frippery Ltd becomes a thing! 🙂 )

Steve

Glad it all turned out well for you Steve! 😀. I must admit, I prefer whipping old kits into shape. My budget does not extend to after market add ons but, I enjoy a bit of scratch building. It's amazing what you can do with plastic strip, rod, sheet and imagination! 😊

To me, that is the fun part! However, to each their own.

I always did like the old Matchbox kits. Basic and simple they may be but, they are a good canvas!

Allan

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 8:01 PM, fightersweep said:

Steve

Steve the B17 you're on about- it's not "A bit o'Lace" by any chance?  As a kid my brother bought the Airfix 1/72 kit in this scheme - I was gutted when he told me he got it for himself.😢 So when kits World did the decals for this aircraft in 1/48,  I out did him and built mine in Monogram fashion.😂

• Like 2

The Fort I researched was B-17G-35-DL 42-107039 "Ice Cold Katy" of the 612th Bomb Squadron, 401st Bomb Group. Here's a photo of her taken in Aug 1944 after suffering a runaway prop...

27280543818_2766ac3ecb.jpgice-cold-katy-one-engine

I do have very fond memories of the Airfix "Bit o Lace" though. I remember saving my pocket money for five weeks in 1979 so I could buy it. That was a build I won't forget. It got played with of course, usually being employed to bomb my Airfix HO/OO Germans, before getting wrecked after one too many crash landings. I've picked up another kit in the same boxing so I can re-live my 10 year old build again.

Steve 

Edit: I forgot to mention. There's a Breaking Bad connection with the above photo. 🙂

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1