Unicraft 1/72 Hiller HU-4

David M

Not sure about the  Hiller HU4 but I built the companies Supermarine TOR4040 and it was the worst kit I have purchased by a country mile with poor mouldings, wharped or full of bubbles and more.

However; I did finish it and it looks good but it was involved and not easy, as I do not know of your skill level you may not be comfortable with such a kit. I had been modelling for 4 years when I tackled it so if you really fancy it give it a go, I may just have acquired a Friday job and others may be OK.

I've been modelling for many years, I've built limited run kits, vacforms, resin kits, rigged biplanes and scratch built bits and bobs. I bought the Unicraft Trent Meteor conversion and it's the only thing I've bought that nearly went straight in the bin. It's sat on the shelf ever since and I've bought the SH kit. I'm not saying it's impossible but I don't think it would be enjoyable. I think Unicraft are only for the brave.

Having said that, looking at some of the photos of recent kits on Hannants website they seem better - unless those are the masters?

Edited by rossm
extra paragraph

Thanks to you all for your feedback.

There are photos on the net that appear to show the masters for the HU-4 and in light of your advice they don't fill me with much joy.

I had hoped that the Unicraft kit would be a decent starting point and save a bit of time but it seems like the reverse would happen.

I will run away from this kit and take a crack at scratch building one if I can find a set of drawings...hopefully the Hiller Museum will be able to assist.

Incidentally the Hiller Museum is a cracker and well worth a visit.

Again, thanks

David M

Sydney, Straya

• Like 1

The original Unicraft kits were made in a peculiar brittle blue-grey resin with a lot of resemblance to Araldite. Later ones appear to be in a more conventional cream coloured resin.

That said, while applauding their range of subjects, they are kits for experienced modellers who 'just have to have one'. This guy did well with his

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/luft/wantap207.htm

6 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

The original Unicraft kits were made in a peculiar brittle blue-grey resin with a lot of resemblance to Araldite. Later ones appear to be in a more conventional cream coloured resin.

That said, while applauding their range of subjects, they are kits for experienced modellers who 'just have to have one'. This guy did well with his

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/luft/wantap207.htm

All the Unicraft kits I have purchased are cast in the cream-colo(u)red resin. But they all contain a note suggesting the use of a hot knife to remove any excess, and I'm wondering if using a hot knife will produce hazardous fumes.

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

When you finish with a decent model from this pile of s*#t it is most rewarding, albeit a slog.

Excellent work!!!

5 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I'm wondering if using a hot knife will produce hazardous fumes.

I would imagine so.

• Like 1

Huge respect to hsr and HITC for producing such great models from Unicraft porridge.

Lacking their determination and patience I think I will stick to my decision to scratchbuild a UH-4...surely it must be easier?

A decent set of drawings would help...so far nothing from the Hiller Museum.