Do17E and other early German bombers

Adam Poultney

35 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Yes! Of course. Been 30 years since I built one. Do give the 109 a try though, and whilst it's in my head, a Heinkel 51 is always a nice aircraft to have in the line up. I'm following your Do-17 build now. I've got a couple in the stash myself that I must get started on. I'm a big fan of the Do-17 myself, with the early versions up to the Z being my favourite. Regarding the RS Do-17s: I was reading Brett Green's review, and he was mightly impressed.

Steve

Could you link to the Dornier review?

I must do a Heinkel 51, although I am avoiding biplanes at the minute because I still haven't figured out rigging. I don't really mind omitting it in 1/72 but I feel like I really shouldn't on biplanes where it was so prominent

9 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Could you link to the Dornier review?

I must do a Heinkel 51, although I am avoiding biplanes at the minute because I still haven't figured out rigging. I don't really mind omitting it in 1/72 but I feel like I really shouldn't on biplanes where it was so prominent

Here you go! It's for the Dornier 17P, but I would assume equally applicable to the other variants: http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/rs92022reviewbg_1.htm 

Yes! Rigging is a pain! Some folks are amazingly good at it, but I'm still in the "afraid" catagory. I tend to use EZ Line through pre drilled holes, dab of superglue, sand and paint. Maybe not the best method, but it works for me, and if I miss a few control wires here and there, I don't sweat it. It's fiddly, but very rewarding once done.

Steve

Does anyone know if the Do17E or F ever had an RLM 70/71 over 65 scheme applied, or any other two tone schemes. I'm not a huge fan of the tritone camouflage and will probably look for alternative decals as the kit ones in the Airfix kit look awful.

Edited by Adam Poultney

Of course Dorniers Do 17 E and F had been repainted to RLM 70/71 colours. Here is a colour profile of one such example, used for towing gliders:

2_30_b1.jpg

It is possible that these by that time ancient machines had been used as a tow planes during Luftwaffe glider desant on Vassieux-en-Vercors in southern France (the unit is given as I/LLG 1 and the type as Do 17, but no sub type is specified) on 21st July 1944. Then there were Luftwaffe training aircraft in this scheme, which lasted until attrition caught up with them, some early Dorniers had been given to Croat puppet state NDH with one of them escaping to Italy in September 1943 (and being flown in NM and USAAF markings as Axis Sally IIRC) and another one defecting to Croat Partisans. They were probably other BMW VI engined Do 17 aircraft in RLM 70/71/65 scheme. Cheers

Jure

I'm not so sure about being "of course", as there are photos of training Ju.86s in the earlier scheme well into the war.  However, it does seem likely that Do.17s didn't last over 6 years without at least one repaint.  A photo would help, but second-line aircraft don't attract the same number of photographers.

Agreed, Graham. Still, most of surviving Ju 86s had been painted with new colours by 1941-42. Check this link: on the second photo from the top there is a photo of RLM 70/71 Do 17 E with a DFS 230 in a rigid drogue tow. Possibly Dornier's individual letter is D (... or B or perhaps P) but one cannot tell. Then there is this Bundesarchiv photo with Do 17 E in the background to the right:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-565-1407-35A,_Ita

Again, too far to say anything about plane's markings, and Do 17 E nearest to the camera could have still been painted in RLM 61/62/63 colours. Then there is a French publication about air war over southern France with a photo of Me 323 taking-off and passing by two RLM 70/71 Do 17 Es, parked by the runway. There are several photos of NDH Do 17 Es in various ex-Yu publications and I think I saw photos of training RLM 70/71 Es in Flugzeug Archiv publications; unfortunately all my copies are buried somewhere in my flat. I have been searching the web for above mentioned photos, but to no avail. Cheers

Jure

• Like 2