Fairey Barracuda -- Special Hobby 1/72

billn53

After completing two large bomber projects, both with natural metal finish, I felt a need for something simpler and, most importantly, lacking anything having to do with a metallic finish. Looking through my stash, I settled on Special Hobby's 1/72 Fairy Barracuda Mk.II

48640275222_098151017e_c.jpg

and decided to do it as a well-weathered aircraft, in the markings shown on the box top. This particular aircraft operated out of Ceylon in 1946.

The entire build was completed in three weeks, a near record for me. I did run into a few snags along the way, the most serious being when I cracked the kit canopy and was forced to try my hand at vacuforming a replacement. The WIP can be found here:

On to the pics!

48766751041_716edf8c09_b.jpg 

48766750971_b0ac29b002_b.jpg

48766953637_50cc5eefbf_b.jpg 

48766751036_466f610418_b.jpg 

48766750976_368e885bda_b.jpg  

48766418328_8e10a49cf7_b.jpg 

48766418373_31f4b54bda_b.jpg 

48766418308_b6a9b8a947_c.jpg

This aircraft had replacement panels on the nose and port wing tip, still in primer:

48766418178_febae6c196_z.jpg  48766953532_7988ee80d5_z.jpg 

Also, a roundel on the starboard wing had been painted over at some point:

48766953512_88aed8cce4_c.jpg 

I maxed out the Barracuda's load carrying capacity with four 250-lb depth charges under the wings and a 600-lb depth bomb on the centerline. I freely admit that it's unlikely any Barracuda ever carried this loadout, so don't give me any grief over it!

48766418353_5275b88ecc_b.jpg 

48766750786_b453a04121_c.jpg 

The white line on the port flank is a kit decal representing the emergency dinghy release line (the other end is in the pilot's cockpit). I added red decal to simulate tape holding the dinghy line in place. The radio antenna line is made from Uschi "Rig That Thing" stretchable filament.

48766418223_2b1318869a_c.jpg 

I hadn't originally planned on having an open cockpit, so I did little detailing other than adding seat harnesses for the pilot and crew:

48766418278_e9a0deafe0_z.jpg 

48732716486_53fec717ba_b.jpg 

I scratch built hydraulic cylinders to replace the kit's oversize flap actuators:

48732390538_ea98972de4_z.jpg 

In this shot you can see the underwing recognition lights (made using UV-activated acrylic gel) and the rib pattern on the control surfaces (thanks to Airone Hobby's fabric effect airbrush masks):

48730083972_a117b735d0_c.jpg 

My closing "beauty shot"

48766953587_74bc59a87d_b.jpg 

Many thanks to everyone who gave advice and encouragement along the way!

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

Well done for sorting the canopy.  There are lots of nice little touches all over the place on your model and the weathering (always a matter of personal taste) is spot on.

• Thanks 1

Stunning paint finish! 

Did you have access to the 'Barracuda From the Cockpit' book, by Robert McCandless during this build? Your kit is clearly based on the machine the author flew during 1946 from HMS Colossus. 

You have captured the details of his aircraft in brilliant detail.

I find it interesting to study specific machines and identify particular idiosyncrasies, such as mismatched panels, temporary repairs and local modifications that occur, especially away from home base, just as your model portrays so effectively.

Well done.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely superb, Bill. The whole build, and especially the painting and weathering is spot on.

Two things I'm curious about:

I have never noticed the radio antenna going to the end of the horizontal tail surface and have always assumed it went to the centre?

And I had also assumed the dinghy lanyard ran down to near the tail wheel so that, in the event of a ditching, one of the crew could release the dinghy from in the water, as the aircraft sedately sank nose first?

Regardless of my ignorance, you have done a really great job here.

Cheers,

Nick.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Timbo88 said:

Stunning paint finish! 

Did you have access to the 'Barracuda From the Cockpit' book, by Robert McCandless during this build? Your kit is clearly based on the machine the author flew during 1946 from HMS Colossus. 

You have captured the details of his aircraft in brilliant detail.

I find it interesting to study specific machines and identify particular idiosyncrasies, such as mismatched panels, temporary repairs and local modifications that occur, especially away from home base, just as your model portrays so effectively.

Well done.

Thanks Tim!

The SH instructions do say the scheme I used were for McCandless’s plane.  I tried to find a copy of his book, but the prices being asked are more than I’m willing to pay. That’s a shame because I try to learn as much as I can about the subjects I’m modeling. Developmental & operational history, engineering design, and first-hand accounts. 

-Bill

8 minutes ago, Nickthebrief said:

Absolutely superb, Bill. The whole build, and especially the painting and weathering is spot on.

Two things I'm curious about:

I have never noticed the radio antenna going to the end of the horizontal tail surface and have always assumed it went to the centre?

And I had also assumed the dinghy lanyard ran down to near the tail wheel so that, in the event of a ditching, one of the crew could release the dinghy from in the water, as the aircraft sedately sank nose first?

Regardless of my ignorance, you have done a really great job here.

Cheers,

Nick.

I couldn’t find clear pics of the antenna layout, and drawings were contradictory. TheBaron, in his build, said the antenna line went to the starboard stab, so I followed his lead. 

The dinghy is stowed in a rear compartment, the release handle is on the cockpit wall (port side), beside the pilot’s seat. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, billn53 said:

Thanks Tim!

The SH instructions do say the scheme I used were for McCandless’s plane.  I tried to find a copy of his book, but the prices being asked are more than I’m willing to pay. That’s a shame because I try to learn as much as I can about the subjects I’m modeling. Developmental & operational history, engineering design, and first-hand accounts. 

-Bill

I got my copy from Hannants a while back. Not sure if it's currently in stock but well worth a look.

That's a pain. The 'From the Cockpit' are an excellent series of books. I have been adding them to my library as and when my finances allow. The trouble is, I live a short drive from Hannants (depending on the Lowestoft traffic - locals will know what I mean). The temptation is just too much sometimes!