Airfix 1:48 Bf 109E (Franz von Werra's aircraft)

Sturmovik

Decided to start a new project as a way to restore my lost "mojo," as most of you call the desire to build models.

It'll be Airfix's Bf 109E, which will be done as Franz von Werra's machine. I already have one of this models but painted as Adolf Galland's aircraft. The main difference between the two is that this one will have the flaps and slats down.

More progress to follow soon, my side project is Revell's huge Ju 88 in 32nd.

kA81ute.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 5

I have four of these, a very nice kit, just be careful removing the slats from the sprues if you will have them deployed. I went with the mottled yellow nose scheme on this version of the kit. I'll post a link if you want to see it

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

just be careful removing the slats from the sprue

I know what you mean, awefully thick sprue gates on very thin plastic. I've already removed them using a plier and trimmed the remaining sprue nubs with the scalpel.

• Like 1

Just now, Sturmovik said:

I know what you mean, awefully thick sprue gates on very thin plastic. I've already removed them using a plier and trimmed the remaining sprue nubs with the scalpel.

I ended up using filler on all of mine I think, might have been only 3 that needed it though...

• Thanks 1

Photo of what is my sideproject, Revell's huge Junkers Ju 88A-1 Battle of Britain boxing. 1:48 will be definitely become my scale after I finish this and the Ju 87G from Hasegawa I have.

A6v7edS.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys! After finishing my 32nd Ju 88, I decided to come back to this model. I was able to close the fuselage and add the horizontal stabilizers and the rudder.

TT8XbJD.jpg

KmZtZ7Q.jpg

• Like 5

Is there an RFI thread for the Ju88?

Very good progress on your 109. I love the simplicity of the Airfix kit. It's not much of a step up from the 1/72 kit and it's very good for getting used to 1/48 hence why I have 4 (1 finished, 1 almost finished, and two part painted). I find they build up nice and quick if you don't lose motivation because of the sightly awkward masking. 

Personally I leave the horizontal stabilisers off of 109s for painting and then attach them afterwards, especially on Emils with those struts.

Are you leaving the cowling unglued or not? I find that it's not worth it as the detail of the engine is not to to the standards I'd like, a lot is missing, notably the part of the guns that should be visible, and are instead built into the cowling.

One thing to look out for though is the landing gear, it can be difficult to get the positioning right, and I have broken and repaired my first one of this kit a number of times as they're not the strongest. At least that allowed me to correct the positioning. Oh and the armour plate in the canopy can be a pain to get in right. Best to get a photoetch replacement as it's a bit thick, even for my tastes. So far on all of mine that use the piece I've just dealt with it though.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Is there an RFI thread for the Ju88?

Here you go: 

I do understand your way of leaving the horizontal stabilizers off until you finish painting, but I like to have a complete airframe prior to painting, that's why I glue them.

25 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Are you leaving the cowling unglued or not?

I glued it, I'm not s fan of aircraft with everything open.

26 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

One thing to look out for though is the landing gear, it can be difficult to get the positioning right,

What I do here is to glue one gear strut first, leave it to dry, and then glue the other one, that's how I avoid having a missmatched landing gear. I also find it to be quite strong.

Hello guys, after some days of procrastination, I took the plunge and decided to paint the model. I've painted the spine and horizontal stabilizers.

uNccj5x.jpg

JPUkrPh.jpg

I've also picked up a diecast F9F-2 with markings for an Argentinian plane. The only downside is, I glued the nose gear backwards 😑

xH7Fu9i.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The paint on the 109 looks good. 

The best part of Revell acrylics, they cover everything after a few coats (unless it's white, red or yellow).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Unless you point the nose gear out 99.8% of people wouldn't know so i wouldn't stress about it. The paint on the 109 looks good. 

Actually, that isn't really a big  issue, as the nose wheel on the F9F could caster 180 degrees while being spotted on deck, and there are photos that show this. BTW @Sturmovik, von Werra's  109 is my favorite early E scheme- thanks for doing it- can't wait to see the finished product!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Actually, that isn't really a big  issue, as the nose wheel on the F9F could caster 180 degrees while being spotted on deck, and there are photos that show this. BTW @Sturmovik, von Werra's  109 is my favorite early E scheme- thanks for doing it- can't wait to see the finished product!

Mike

That's great to know, I'll stop thinking about the nose gear of the Panther and will begin thinking about how to keep progressing with the 109.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

That's great to know, I'll stop thinking about the nose gear of the Panther and will begin thinking about how to keep progressing with the 109.

Actually, I need to correct my previous statement; it is the yoke and nose  wheel that are free to caster 360 degrees, usually when being pushed backwards during re-spotting on the deck or ramp. The strut, torque link, and shimmy damper remain in place. Sorry to mislead you!

Mike

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Unless you point the nose gear out 99.8% of people wouldn't know so i wouldn't stress about it. The paint on the 109 looks good. 

This. Don't worry about it.

Your 109 is looking great.

Edited by Thom216

Good news guys, I managed to sneak some time at the bench (my dining room to be exact), and began painting the RLM 65 on the fuselage and the RLM 71 on the wings. The rudder was painted white as per the instructions.

EfqpPgv.jpg

d0f59GH.jpg

Mb7vcLd.jpg

SsD99Ay.jpg

I aim to finish this plane for the coming Sunday.

• Like 3

Hello guys, I've managed to make some more progress on the 109. I won't be able to finish it for this Sunday, since I'm still missing the white wingtips, the RLM 65 leading edges, and everything else.

I was able to paint, however, the RLM 02 for the upper camouflage scheme and the 65 for the undersides.

VJHIFeg.jpg

hJahgfH.jpg

• Like 3

Small update, I was able to paint the LE RLM 65, the wingtips in white and gloss coat the entire aircraft. I also added the cannons and painted many smaller parts on the sprues.

fN89oNm.jpg

L8hjNXR.jpg

• Like 2

Managed to add the decals today. One of the wing walk lines broke on me, and had to trash it, I won't add the other one.

The decals were brushed over with two coats of Microsol, and I'll leave them alone until they dry.

wiWdyaX.jpg

9lV1His.jpg

W7DCXgx.jpg

• Like 3

On 22/09/2019 at 10:41, Sturmovik said:

Photo of what is my sideproject, Revell's huge Junkers Ju 88A-1 Battle of Britain boxing. 1:48 will be definitely become my scale after I finish this and the Ju 87G from Hasegawa I have.

A6v7edS.jpg

Excellent side project. You need to start up a thread for it. It would go well with my He 111 thread. Have you used Aires resin parts on it. I have one of these with the resin wing parts and new engines. I might do it in the Battle of Britain GB next year.