Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show Arrivals and Practice September 2019

Alpha Delta 210

Hi

I'm unable to attend the show this weekend, so spent a fantastic day at Duxford today instead.

I apologise for the quality of these images, but the lovely sun was in my face all day, which made photography challenging, to say the least!

I hope that those of you who go to the show have a great time.

Zi3eNxFkyjIr5cwymp5HLbjtIZSSM2P3M-Vla3MX

ozGSirhaCF14swoHXaHWkaLbEm3E9HUUuYWFp18R

jSyoceUIUVIkqhyLf76ZS_hMTDKwH2IDLAzV9rHo

uWO6HE6QgAT-lsJacgj2hHkFVObB81TXckeRqrSX

M_qaBIjA9bHKrmSzHI4kJ1OYU-Io1bV2S4k8VoZy

aZs1PH8OOM8CufVzj3ENdLOkRfnfB6GcOrOoF2Yp

qAQryU9vz2xtS4hyDkawmm7b-y-oqwxoFXHmcr0_

siSxHNNRNqNqfv_TenonZUe5ypzSx-dvYGPbL_fr

83kOgPvUoJnI15C9GClf8XdThCqBgtzMV8B2zZHF

6pA8bWmKsZGCBlqQZkkKpH3lNuxdIQ692kQP5iyx

te-KN4HhjRpC06GNJOXHQoHQygAJckilIVEs-LDr

bGsRYncvDkDfTX6f4CZ9AkMHP1mdrZSJfN6Aakv8

taebUY6AgRcPQ1WROqSaAURDTRYc1JtXd474rgln

bPsv_Vzd7o2Gwgeh0MP0jsJdpxGsURqOFJvu7PS3

JIBI3STtEFT-UMZC0ZhrEj6d2zPdaEERSAdxlXOH

TNEA_uvqUOCcVKE0Dr3AfmlTv4C3r8vVhJhKuZpg

jpD9PqAukMVd4_73qRegNRVYcRMq2m-g4Dbb9ZaA

CvIrHwkm7I4wkDI1KQ3BmhKeyQ6FjfH6aqGxdMSl

B1xCPi-QDGWE01zRJq94VH0WQ5b3G6Je7v9XfpJr

kMsxvjaiH3jvsnWumfLtu5AhDX-wxqs8IXfVqe-F

lEohL7ybtzErZv9pgjY5ZqrXkl5LqMOTQv4Mb2Gx

KoLA6ydqenHWwX_07HDMAME_Zh1vBQnu-RKCIOET

Army Wildcat just passing through!

H5uMBqvVpYDhh70wYmd15lMDJy9IGrpcOScxuu9W

vKimoWvbmGAQHN--DXwSrlUcayxV3pcQxO6Qksz4

n6axC6DaY9LHot4GGzX8yPnqXQPgY1sOs-XCc9IO

o4gX5r0ZR8gZbBymKScBOBs9VWfqFoD6NGeJsmy6

dMWtJmWkoQT-2U0yosUHUEsNd63YDVckJBpJ8fvE

RLtgeTCZ0KMSSV353dg_AtCeOzcNIiXVlmwTo-Js

3cNx-AgX09-8eskpevM0DGgMMHktzhZkTtrwORiu

cd92mS0b2Etaz3a4vIq4q6mYQAjVBvczL8YCw_n2

My first sighting of the DH.9!

9f1lmaISmrtSWR8MR5wlXA4uPltfWJWItv00_Fu9

144DFs4uzIF8cl59xZ3pfCNgVuL8yQR8UVRIGEiv

7XgFcovoi6DcWgH-RWF12tGyio15Bp8BxkOmXOT2

-dQg2MmqF_KDtQxZt_jStL3aB18pA_Wb6Qg-EQI5

ZuyhE5mcOoeO1VtmWvz6oy75opnDnuaQ5olVteOa

bczvt8yACSh1408c3aGsRbTlB42RhtWHH44sGUJl

sga-ajsRPrF6MmiyqTewGcFFgdwrzpVx9hOprH_D

Thanks for looking.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, canberraman said:

Great shots as ever and agree it's such a pity about shooting in to the sun all day. I too would like to be there but alas domestic duties come first!

Mark

Thanks for the kind words, Mark.

I'm a IWM Premium Member, so effectively got a mini-air show for free yesterday. I parked myself next to the temporary grandstand, in front of the airliners, as Runway 07 was in use.

Have a good weekend. 

Thanks for posting your photos, AD210 ... Like you I’m unable to attend the show this year (Mrs. J isn’t very well and I didn’t feel ‘right’ taking a whole day away).

i was going to ask where you were to take your photos.  Like you, I’m an IWM Premium member but saw in your subsequent posts you were near the ‘grandstand’ .  I’ll bear that in mind when / if I get to go to another Duxford show(I pkeep thinking the IWM Premium membership costs are higher than the old Friends-of-Duxford for nothing any better / as good.

Anyway, your photos are truly super.   No need to apologise for them.  Dare I ask what camera / lens you used?

Thanks again,

Jonny

Edited by Jonny
Fixing some *awful* typos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

Thanks for posting your photos, AD210 ... Like you I’m unable to attend the show this year (Mrs. J isn’t very well and I didn’t ‘t feel ‘right’ taking a whole day away).

i was going to ask where you were to take your photos.  Like you, I’m an IWM Premium member but saw is your subsequent posts you were near the ‘grandstand’ .  I’ll bear that in mind when / if I get to go to another Duxford show(zip keep thinking the IWM Premium membership costs are higher than the old Friends-of-Duxford for nothing any better / as good.

Anyway, your photos are truly super.   No need to apologise for them.  Dare I ask what camera / lens you used?

Thanks again,

Jonny

Hi Jonny

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your kind comments.

During shows, I tend to go to the Friends (sorry, Premium Members!) Enclosure just to avoid the crush, and occasionally selfish behaviour seen outside. However, last Friday, (which was a normal museum day), I saw that the aircraft were taking off towards the motorway, otherwise I would have taken my pictures from the motorway end for "round the bend" and landing shots.

Like you, I'm not impressed with the Premium Membership when compared with its predecessor due to the reduced benefits. 

I used two Nikon full-frame DSLRs last Friday, one with a Nikkor 24-120 lens, and the other with a Nikkor 80-400 lens.

If you're interested, the last Showcae Day of the year is on October 20.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/showcase-days

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

AD,

Awesome photos! Thank you so much for sharing them with us!

Mike

Hi Mike. Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed my images.

That looks as good as an airshow but without the crowds! And presumably the tank bank was free to use as well. A gorgeous day and almost criminal to complain about the sun but you can see the effects in the images. Ta for sharing these, a great set of shots. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

That looks as good as an airshow but without the crowds! And presumably the tank bank was free to use as well. A gorgeous day and almost criminal to complain about the sun but you can see the effects in the images. Ta for sharing these, a great set of shots. 

Thanks for the kind words, Latinbear. That's, how the day felt, and as a Premium Member, I got in for free! The "tank bank" was open, but I really wanted taxy and take off shots, so elected to make camp in front of the airliners.

Thanks for the details of your photo equipment, AD210.  I’m a Nikon user too, my ‘normal’ kit being a D7500 and D600 with a 18-140mm DX lens and a 80-400mm FX.  

You know, having seen your photos and read your description of your visit last Friday I’m wondering whether next year to go the day before and not  pay more money to IWM for parking and air show attendance.  As Latinbear says, it was obviously ‘crowd free’. and, much as I like the flightline walk on show days, when you were there were no aeroplanes lined up obstructing your view

Unfortunately I can’t get to October’s ‘showcase’ day but am tempted to book onto the HAC’s gathering on the 19th (open cockpits / photo opportunities and tals by Guy Black about the DH9 restorations and by  ‘Dodge’Bailey about test flying the aeroplane). 

Thanks again for your helpful comments AND for sharing your photos!

Jonny

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonny said:

Thanks for the details of your photo equipment, AD210.  I’m a Nikon user too, my ‘normal’ kit being a D7500 and D600 with a 18-140mm DX lens and a 80-400mm FX.  

You know, having seen your photos and read your description of your visit last Friday I’m wondering whether next year to go the day before and not  pay more money to IWM for parking and air show attendance.  As Latinbear says, it was obviously ‘crowd free’. and, much as I like the flightline walk on show days, when you were there were no aeroplanes lined up obstructing your view

Unfortunately I can’t get to October’s ‘showcase’ day but am tempted to book onto the HAC’s gathering on the 19th (open cockpits / photo opportunities and tals by Guy Black about the DH9 restorations and by  ‘Dodge’Bailey about test flying the aeroplane). 

Thanks again for your helpful comments AND for sharing your photos!

Jonny

Hi Jonny

There don't seem to be too many Nikon users in the aviation fraternity, so it is always good to meet another!

I try to visit Duxford on the Friday before most air shows. It can be hit and miss in terms of action, but I certainly struck lucky last week. Ben Dunnell even made a few announcements about arrivals and practice displays. 

If you're prepared to take the risk, it can be rewarding AND relaxing!

The HAC event sounds interesting.