Fokker D.VII motor cowling

Gambrinus

Hello all.

I am working on my first WW I model, a Fokker D.VII, a rather terrifying experience 🙂

I am looking for info/advice on the green(s) used for the non-Lozenge parts of the aircraft.  I have the impression that the upper fuselage in front of the pilot, the motor cowling and the "wing" between the wheels is one green, and that all struts between the upper and lower wing (and perhaps also those of the undercarriage) are another green. Oh, by the way, my model is a Fokker-built version.

However, I have not been able find very much information about this, and any help from you would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Christian

Hi Christian,

Although you haven't mentioned which kit or scale your D VII is, if you go to the Wingnut Wings website and look at their D VII kit instructions at http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/modelkitsets

you will find a fair amount of information in their instructions as well as suggested paint brands. If necessary, you can also download the instruction booklets in pdf format. While their D VII instructions

may not feature the same marking that you have for your kit, the information they contain will provide a good starting point.

HTH

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your reply. I had downloaded Wingnut Wings' instructions before writing and there is a wealth of useful info. When it comes to these greens, however, Wingnut Wings suggest Tamiya XF-61 and Humbrol 30 as being equivalents. These colours are very far from each other, so it is not really a help after all.

I am building Eduard's 1/48 kit. Two versions of the same aircraft. The aircraft first flew as a civilian courier/ mail plane. It was in Lozenge without any special markings apart from a Danish pennant painted on the tail. Afterwards it was purchased by the Army Air Corps and was painted overall green with proper Danish roundels.

Cheers

Christian

spacer.pngspacer.png

Source: Aerofile Info.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

not a million miles away from RLM02

That's correct.  Fokker factory green used on the metal frame, some struts, etc...was a greenish grey.  Sometimes the struts were covered in doped lozenge fabric too.  

Regarding cowlings...they varied a great deal from the beginning of the war (when they were not open enough and overheated the motor causing the ammo to explode!) and also from each manufacturer.  The Datafiles have very detailed diagrams based on serial numbers and production runs.  

Enjoy the Fokker!  Hopefully it is not a Roden product!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2019 at 8:33 AM, Gambrinus said:

Hi Dave.

I am building Eduard's 1/48 kit. Two versions of the same aircraft. The aircraft first flew as a civilian courier/ mail plane. It was in Lozenge without any special markings apart from a Danish pennant painted on the tail. Afterwards it was purchased by the Army Air Corps and was painted overall green with proper Danish roundels.

Cheers

Christian

spacer.png

Source: Aerofile Info.

Hi Christian

Is this the F. D.VII that Göring brought to Denmark and displayed at the exhibition in 1919?