This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Toryu

Pursue & Destroy - My Mustangs of the Mighty Eighth

48774261241_9ec2cb98d3_o.jpg

In anticipation of the next P-51 STGB for which I'm now clearing my workbench I'd like to share a few exhibits from my Mustang gallery. Like so many of us I'm a devoted fan of North American's fighter masterpiece. My very first kit in 1/72 was the infamous Revell proposition as was my first ever 1/32 model. I still remember how attracted I was by the striking box art of Don Gentile's Shangri La...

Inspiring books like Roger Freeman's 'The Mighty Eighth' and Kit Carson's 'Pursue & Destroy' motivated me to start an Eighth Air Force P-51 collection in the late seventies. I have built Mustangs of 12 Fighter Groups by now. Only the 20th and 353rd FGs are missing - the latter will be the subject of my STGB entry. As this compilation spans 30 years - last one built in 2006 - I had to get along with the early kits that are a little less sophisticated than the latest products from Meng, Airfix or Eduard. Most of my builds are based on the Monogram kit which, albeit with raised panel lines, is still an acceptable design.

For this topic I selected three P-51Ds of the 65th Fighter Wing from a more recent modelling period presented in historic sceneries. I hope you enjoy the models despite their age.

OS-X   MISS STEVE   44-13677  P-51D-5-NA (late)

355th FG  357th FS,  1/Lt William J. Cullerton,  F-122 Steeple Morden,  December 1944

48764875688_0190acb3d7_b.jpg

48764875578_afc50b80e0_c.jpg

After crash landing MISS STEVE was repaired and - re-coded OS-N - was assigned to Lt David P. Watkins who named her FICKLE FANNY. The 355th FG was the Eighth's leading ground strafing unit, 15 of Cullerton's 20 claims were destroyed on the ground. The model is armed with 500 lbs bombs.

48764875513_abb66442c5_b.jpg

Monogram 1977 release with aftermarket cockpit, canopy, exhaust, wheels and bombs. Decals from scrap box and homemade.

E2-C   LOU IV - ATHELENE   44-13410  P-51D-5-NA (early)

361st FG  375th FS,  Lt Col Thomas J.J. Christian - Group CO,  F-374 Bottisham,  August 1944

48765204681_8c1ecaf907_b.jpg

Colonel Christian's P-51 is the subject of so many models that no more needs to be said here. This is my interpretation of his mount, particularly of the ATHELENE inscription which I styled after a blurred picture and similar decorations on other 375th FS aircraft (red letters - black outline - clean silver background).

48765401052_b1032559b6_c.jpg

48765401007_6d3fac83f3_b.jpg

Fujimi 1987 edition (first released in 1973) with replacement parts from the scrap box (prop, cockpit, gear), Verlinden 75 gal drop tanks and substantial re-work around cowling, fin and air duct. Modified decals from Microscale and AeroMaster.

L2-P   Burn'n Bernie   44-15380  P-51D-15-NA

479th FG  434th FS,  Lt Gail E. Jacobson,  Station 377 Wattisham,  May 1945

48765400917_787803bb22_b.jpg

48765400842_baa4f528a3_c.jpg

This Mustang was damaged in a landing accident on 25 December 1944. Subsequently repaired it served on until war's end. Note 'buzz' letters under port wing (barely visible on the pictures) and antenna for AN/APS-13 tail warning radar.

48765204411_ee42a17701_b.jpg

Monogram again, Aires V-1650-7 engine, a few aftermarket items and homemade decals.

And a few pics of the cockpit, which is similar for all three models. I removed the antenna wire later when I realised that VIII Fighter Command didn't have the SCR-274 radio installed.

48765400717_9972cfe132_o.jpg

More little friends will join up soon. Thanks for looking out.

Michael

REFERENCES

MARKINGS OF THE ACES, KOOKABURRA HISTORIC AIRCRAFT BOOKS SERIES 3 NO.1, THEODORE R. BENNETT, DANDENONG, 1970

THE MIGHTY EIGHTH, ROGER A. FREEMAN, NEW YORK, 1973

ACES OF THE EIGHTH, GENE B. STAFFORD & WILLIAM N. HESS, SQUADRON/SIGNAL PUBLICATIONS, WARREN, 1977

EIGHTH AIR FORCE STORY, KENN C. RUST, TEMPLE CITY, 1978

THE MIGHTY EIGHTH IN COLOR, ROGER A. FREEMAN, LONDON, 1991

MUSTANG ACES OF THE EIGHTH AIR FORCE, AIRCRAFT OF THE ACES 1, JERRY SCUTTS, LONDON, 1994

VIII FIGHTER COMMAND AT WAR, AIRCRAFT OF THE ACES 31, MICHAEL O'LEARY, BOTLEY, 2000

YELLOWJACKETS!, PAUL B. CORA, ATGLEN, 2002

'DOWN TO EARTH' –  STRAFING ACES OF THE EIGHTH AIR FORCE, AIRCRAFT OF THE ACES 51, WILLIAM N. HESS, BOTLEY, 2003

P-51 MUSTANG UNITS OF THE EIGHTH AIR FORCE, AMERICAN EAGLES 4, ROGER FREEMAN, HERSHAM, 2003

479th FIGHTER GROUP – 'RIDDLE'S RAIDERS', AVIATION ELITE UNITS 32, JOHN STANAWAY, BOTLEY, 2009

WWW.LITTLEFRIENDS.CO.UK

WWW.AMERICANAIRMUSEUM.COM

Meanwhile please click picture and board my Marauder on a mission to Germany

32453437748_2e9256328e_n.jpg

Thanks for posting these Michael! 🍻 They do look great, and it's impressive to see what you've made of them.   I'm so glad you posted them for everyone to see just what a fine model is lurking in those Monogram Mustangs.   As you might guess, I have also built the Monogram P-51D, in the markings of Drew Urban's "Detroit Miss".  It was built in 1989, and is one of my Monogram kits that has never "stood before the camera". 🙂 It was about my 5th or 6th completion after restarting the hobby, iirc.   Maybe it should take that short ride out to the airport and see how it looks out there?  Crude by the standards you set with those beautiful Mustangs of yours, I admit that I'm now curious to see how she photographs.

Thanks for the pics and thanks for the inspiration as well!

Excellent collection!

The addition of historic background and kit info makes it even more interesting.

Excellent presentations, Michael. Your modelling skills are to be admired.

What a wonderful collection, great attention to detail too,...... great photography as well,.... what more could you ask?

Cheers

Tony

Great-looking Mustangs !   Who needs the latest 'Uber' kits.... ?

Amazing! Your models turn out perfectly and your photography is perfect. One can not say , is it historical photography or model?

thats really the way of presentation that I prefer too. 

Superb job!!! 

Cheers

Andy 

On 21/09/2019 at 06:09, Andy Dyck said:

Amazing! Your models turn out perfectly and your photography is perfect. One can not say , is it historical photography or model?

thats really the way of presentation that I prefer too.

Thanks Andy and all other commentators for your kind remarks.

It may sound crazy but after spending weeks on research and months on the build my models gradually become the real thing. I love to capture this sentiment in photography and presentation. I've started to restore some more of my old P-51s in order to 'warm up' for the group build. I hope to add them here soon.

Cheers, Michael

Beautiful! I really enjoy the historical background. Also, your NMF is very convincing.