Pursue & Destroy ‒ My Mustangs of the Mighty Eighth

Toryu

Michael Brilliant collection! Your information on 20th FG, Capt Charles Cole and KI-K "Little Lady" is incorrect. Cole flew his missions with the 77th FS and was transferred to the 55th FS in Feb 1945 (his only recorded mission with the 55th: PoW 25/02/45 44-72160 KI-K). Lt Loetcher was lost in 44-13715 KI-K which was assigned to Lt Planchak. Planchak was also assigned 44-15311 KI-K; neither of these two P-51s were assigned to Cole. N.B. Planchak had several 51's (all KI-K) he named at least two of these "Dragon Wagon" before becoming a PoW 17/01/45.

@KC Rem  Thank you for your note. Information available to me may be incorrect or misleading. Following our off-line correspondence I'm temporarily suspending my model of 'Little Lady'.

Cheers, Michael

Michael, I agree that Cole was lost in 44-72160 KI-K but he only flew that one mission with the 55th FS. The information you provided  from "Little Friends" seems somewhat confused (I must discuss this with Peter). Eugene Planchak was a personal friend of mine and I can confirm that he never inherited any of his P-51's from Cole (I also corresponded with Cole). Cole joined the 77th FS at the end of Sept 44 and was transferred to the 55th FS at the end of Feb 45. Whilst in the 77th Cole mostly flew P-51D 44-11324 LC-U. If you would like it I can also provide a list of other 77th P-51's that he flew. With regard to 44-15311 KI-K: Planchack flew this P-51 on its first combat mission 29 Nov 44. He subsequently flew it for another 6 missions and force landed it near March, Cambridgeshire 10 Dec 44. As to 44-13715 KI-K: this was one of the first P-51's delivered to the 55th FS in July 44, being assigned to Lt Bynum. It was assigned to Planchak  from 15 Oct 44, and Lt Loetscher was flying it for one mission when he was lost on 9 Nov 44. Back to P-51 44-72160 KI-K: this was delivered to the 55th FS from the SAD at Warton on 22 Feb 44 and was lost with Cole on 25 Feb 45 - just three days later! Personally, and this is only my own opinion, I have never seen any confirmed evidence which says that the well publicised picture of KI-K "Little Lady" was assigned to Cole. It was more likely a replacement P-51 assigned to the 55th FS very late in the war and someone has assumed that as it is coded KI-K it must have been Cole's aeroplane. My personal interest in the 20th FG began way back in the 1970's and since that time I have made an in-depth study of the Group' s combat history flying from Kingscliffe. I was also fortunate enough to be appointed the Historical Advisor to the 20th Fighter Group Association when it existed and was able to meet many of its members who became close friends. PS just a thought, if you can obtain Cole's MACR it may confirm  44-72160 was named: "Little Lady"  

• Thanks 1

• Toryu changed the title to Pursue & Destroy ‒ My Mustangs of the Mighty Eighth