Revell 1/24 Ferrari Enzo

Andy J

Hi there,

so this is my latest finished build and what a battle this was ! This is by far the worst kit i have ever built in terms of quality in fact the only positive thing i can say about it is ........... nothing. How i never boxed this up and put it on the never to be finished shelf i will never know. On the bright side the Tamiya LP paints worked a treat and are now my go to paints for car builds. Not my best work in my opinion but however its history now and time to move onto the next one.

Thanks for viewing

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Paint does look good Andy. The fact that it battled you so doesn't show at all.

Thanks but the body covers a lot of sins and although they can't be seen they annoy me. Fitting the body to the chassis was a horrible sound of cracking and crunching. I don't mind a challenge at all but this was torture. Pretty safe to say my next build won't be a Revell kit 🤨

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Thanks but the body covers a lot of sins and although they can't be seen they annoy me. Fitting the body to the chassis was a horrible sound of cracking and crunching. I don't mind a challenge at all but this was torture. Pretty safe to say my next build won't be a Revell kit 🤨

Cheers Andy

I think this probably sums up how most modellers feel about their builds - while the end result (at least for those posted on here) are pleasing to the eye of anyone else who sees it, as the one who built it we tend to focus on the bits which went wrong. Sometimes, we need to consciously push those flaws to the back of our minds and look at it and just take satisfaction on the fact that we have ended up with a pretty good representation of the real thing, even more so if it fought against us. This Enzo is one which will no doubt attract plenty of attention of the right sort when put on the shelf - certainly it looks good to me.

Also, don't dismiss Revell kits too quickly. While some of them, particularly the older ones such as the Corvette I did, are shall we say showing their age, there are also newer ones (I'm especially thinking of the Trabant here, but the Mustang and Cuda I did were also pretty good) which are the equal of Tamiya's kits in my opinion. Just might be worth doing a bit of research before purchase if this one is putting you off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Despite all the trouble and strife it gave you Andy, it's still a fine looking model you've now got (but of a pig ugly car! Just my opinion of course! :) )

K

Yes I agree Keith not one of Ferrari's best looking car's by a long way. I wonder if the body and chassis are held together with super glue on the real one 😃

Hi Andy,

Superb result!

There is something cathartic about wrestling with a pig of a kit, and producing an elegant result, such is yours.

I have some very old Airfix kits, that just stubbornly refuse to obey me. But in the end, when it's finished, I get a real surge of satisfaction that I bullied this thing into submission and produced a presentable model.

Mind you, my family would tell you that I won't give up without a fight, so I guess it's in my makeup. Also, I won't show the POSs that did defeat me (:) ...).

Cheers, Alan.

2 hours ago, Alan R said:

Hi Andy,

Superb result!

There is something cathartic about wrestling with a pig of a kit, and producing an elegant result, such is yours.

I have some very old Airfix kits, that just stubbornly refuse to obey me. But in the end, when it's finished, I get a real surge of satisfaction that I bullied this thing into submission and produced a presentable model.

Mind you, my family would tell you that I won't give up without a fight, so I guess it's in my makeup. Also, I won't show the POSs that did defeat me (:) ...).

Cheers, Alan.

Hi Alan, I agree with a lot of what you say but with this particular kit even though it's finished the whole build gives me no satisfaction at all. However it's on to the next one now and it can't possibly be as bad as this one can it 🤔

• Like 1

Hi.

I think you have a great result, very nice finish. I built this kit some three years ago and i have to say that I did not have any big issues with it. It took some time to build with some trial and and testing all the way. By the way there is a real Ferrari Enzo in a town near by me and I last saw it some months ago. It´s a really impressive car when seen for real and it sounds great too. 

Cheers Göran

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sennapod said:

Nice kit, I also made one - took me 5 (!) years. But your is far better.

Tamiya LP paints - are these the Tamiya spray lacquer paints?

Hi the LP paints I'm referring to come in a small bottle the same as the acrylic range that Tamiya do. These are then thinned 50/50 with the LP retarder/thinner and sprayed through an airbrush. The paint itself looks to be the same as Tamiya laquer paints sprayed straight from the can . I've used these paints for a while now and would definitely recommend them they are superb.

Hope this helps Andy