1/48th Tamiya Beaufighter reworked!!!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I built this Tamiya Beaufighter years ago,.... wearing an incorrect desert scheme,...... so I decided to re work it and build it as a Beaufighter Mk.If OF 89 Sqn`s Malta detachment in 1942-43,.... flown by the ace crew Mervyn Shipard RAAF and his radar operator Douggie Oxby RAF, they named their aircraft Hun Hunter which was adorned with their kills too. It was delivered in an all black scheme but the unit soon applied a desert finish on top to help disguise these precious radar equipped night fighters on the ground. The yellow underside to the tail was a local North African/Med i/d to help differentiate the Beau from the Ju88 for troops on the ground. 

The original kit V tail was removed and replaced using this Freightdog resin conversion comprising of the earlier flat tailplane and wheels etc;

DSCF4953.jpg

Then the old finish was rubbed down and a new scheme applied by brush;

DSCF4956.jpg

Decals came from the spares box and after market sheets to replicate the crews aircraft, Hun Hunter,..... radar antenna etc came from the spars box;; 

DSCF5171.jpg

And the finished model;

DSCF6806-NEW.jpg

DSCF6796-NEW.jpg

DSCF6744-NEW.jpg

DSCF6742-NEW.jpg

DSCF6798-NEW.jpg

DSCF6801-NEW.jpg

DSCF6807-NEW.jpg

DSCF6745-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 47

Darned nice brushwork Tony! 😀 (and I know it when I see after many years as a house painter, specializing in brushing enamel)  I am very impressed with this model!    Great restoration sir!  :clap2:

ps.  With each Beaufighter model I see, I like the type more and more; I would like one in my collection too! 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2019 at 1:26 PM, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

I built this Tamiya Beaufighter years ago,.... wearing an incorrect desert scheme,...... so I decided to re work it and build it as a Beaufighter Mk.If OF 89 Sqn`s Malta detachment in 1942-43,.... flown by the ace crew Mervyn Shipard RAAF and his radar operator Douggie Oxby RAF, they named their aircraft Hun Hunter which was adorned with their kills too. It was delivered in an all black scheme but the unit soon applied a desert finish on top to help disguise these precious radar equipped night fighters on the ground. The yellow underside to the tail was a local North African/Med i/d to help differentiate the Beau from the Ju88 for troops on the ground. 

The original kit V tail was removed and replaced using this Freightdog resin conversion comprising of the earlier flat tailplane and wheels etc;

DSCF4953.jpg

Then the old finish was rubbed down and a new scheme applied by brush;

DSCF4956.jpg

Decals came from the spares box and after market sheets to replicate the crews aircraft, Hun Hunter,..... radar antenna etc came from the spars box;; 

DSCF5171.jpg

And the finished model;

DSCF6806-NEW.jpg

DSCF6796-NEW.jpg

DSCF6744-NEW.jpg

DSCF6742-NEW.jpg

DSCF6798-NEW.jpg

DSCF6801-NEW.jpg

DSCF6807-NEW.jpg

DSCF6745-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony