Handley Page Dart Herald - Air UK 1/72

zebra

Here's my Novo 1/72 Herald, just finished in the Frog Squad GB. More or less out of the box, ignoring any inaccuracies and the lack of detail (check out the 10cm scale thickness nose gear doors!), built as G-APWJ of Air UK (now preserved at Duxford). Decals were bodged together from the 26 sheets for a BIA Herald and Air UK F-27. Build thread is here

Air UK Herald - Novo 1/72

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 57

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

She turned out pretty good, nice paint. Is there a link to the problems this kit has? I saw a picture of it reissued through Eastern Express. Is that true?

The main issue with the kit is the fact that it depicts the original Series 100 production aircraft. As a result, it's not really that accurate for the later Series 200/300/400 aircraft - which were slightly longer and invariably had the radar bulge added to the nose which is missing from the FROG/Novo etc kit. 

As far as I know, the only Series 100 aircraft that actually entered airline service were G-AWPA/B/C which were operated on a trial; basis by BEA - and the original FROG kit could be finished in BEA colours.

Yes, the Frog kit is a 200 series.  See this old thread:

Also, this photo of series 100 G-APWA shows that the distance between the forward cabin door and the first cabin window is much less than featured on the kit.

Handley-Page HPR7 Dart Herald 100 G-APWA

• Like 1

I saw a build online of the Eastern express kit. It had no open windows at all and the old kit I saw in pictures dose. I want to get the older kit with the open windows, but they are a fortune. 1/72 is to big for window decals. Is this picture of 'PWA preserved or was it being scrapped?

Edited by busnproplinerfan

3 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I saw a build online of the Eastern express kit. It had no open windows at all and the old kit I saw in pictures dose. I want to get the older kit with the open windows, but they are a fortune. 1/72 is to big for window decals. Is this picture of 'PWA preserved or was it being scrapped?

Keep an eye out for the Novo boxing, I can’t remember what I paid for mine but it wasn’t expensive.

8 hours ago, zebra said:

Keep an eye out for the Novo boxing, I can’t remember what I paid for mine but it wasn’t expensive.

I was watching one recently on evilbay but let it go. Think it was around $60ish Cdn. There's a Maquette one on now for $77 Cdn and some stupid shipping price just from Texas. It also has a ton of flashing. That doesn't bother me but just looks like a badly made kit. They go up from there.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

49 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I was watching one recently on evilbay but let it go. Think it was around $60ish Cdn. There's a Maquette one on now for $77 Cdn and some stupid shipping price just from Texas. It also has a ton of flashing. That doesn't bother me but just looks like a badly made kit. They go up from there.

Crikey. Maybe I just got lucky! I don’t think it’s worth that kind of money. I think you’ll get the ton of flash whichever boxing it is, I certainly got quite a bit of extra free plastic with mine!

23 minutes ago, zebra said:

Crikey. Maybe I just got lucky! I don’t think it’s worth that kind of money. I think you’ll get the ton of flash whichever boxing it is, I certainly got quite a bit of extra free plastic with mine!

A 1/72 DC-6 is a fraction the cost and much more model than the  Herald.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 8:40 AM, Eric Mc said:

The main issue with the kit is the fact that it depicts the original Series 100 production aircraft. As a result, it's not really that accurate for the later Series 200/300/400 aircraft - which were slightly longer and invariably had the radar bulge added to the nose which is missing from the FROG/Novo etc kit. 

As far as I know, the only Series 100 aircraft that actually entered airline service were G-AWPA/B/C which were operated on a trial; basis by BEA - and the original FROG kit could be finished in BEA colours.

G-APWA was not a BEA service aircraft. It was only painted up that way for a sales tour of South America (with Prince Philip I think!) subsequently sold there. However, It came back and is preserved somewhere in the UK. (is Woodly a place?)
G-APWB/C/D were the BEA service machines on Scottish regional routes.
All 4 were short, earlier version.

A neglected kit of a rather neglected aircraft but very well done , recall seeing a couple at the old civil terminal at Edinburgh Turnhouse back in the 1960s visits to fly in the Chipmunks of the resident AEF but cannot remember now which airline was flying them.

• Thanks 1