1/48 - Lockheed F-104G Starfighter by Avantgarde Model Kits (AMK) - box art

Homebee

41 minutes ago, hopkp said:

....... While I fully accept that every manufacturer needs 'bankers' in its range to allow more adventurous subjects to be considered, I completely fail to understand why that range of 'bankers' has to be so limited. As you say, there are many, many subjects that would seem likely to be steady sellers .....

it's limited because they're the ones that sell.

Take this forum for example (I don't "do" fakebook so I've no idea about there). There has been considerable excitement about the new airfix Buccaneer, which has now been released. There is currently one in the WiP and one in the Ready For Inspection section. Both have now been pushed to page 2 of each section (at this moment) by yet more Spitfires, Bf-109 and Mustangs. They are the ones that people want to build and see, hence why each company wants those in their range. Whilst every member of this forum won't show their work, from what I see the majority of builds are these limited range of bankers.

The rest will sell slowly compared to these. How many casual modellers will even know what a Gina or a Buccaneer is? Spitfire or Mustang? More will probably be aware of them.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 8:40 PM, Homebee said:

3. In addition to normal version, we will have another version with FULL INTERNAL STRUCTURES.

Oooh!

4 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Just what we need......another F-104 in 1:48 scale !

And BEFORE anyone comes out with that boring age-old "If they don't have it in their catalogue they are not making any money" adage (which is pretty obvious !), the argument I would make is that, right now, any company willing to produce an accurate and easy to assemble 1:48 scale Fiat G-91R Gina, SEPECAT Jaguar, AV-8B Harrier II, Dassault Mirage F.1 or Blackburn Buccaneer is likely to make more from this investment than another F-104 to compete with the superb Kinetic kit and not-too-shabby (especially with the DACO improvement set) Hasegawa kit.

In respect of those examples, would a company from the Asia Pacific region where I presume the majority of their customers come from really give two hoots about a G-91 or a Jag? If those are the kits you're keen to see I think Italeri and Airfx are the companies that need persuading. I understand your frustration as I'd much rather see most of the kits you listed. But if I ran my own kit company even I'd be chuffing out Tomcats and Spitfires too. 

8 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

it's limited because they're the ones that sell.

Take this forum for example (I don't "do" fakebook so I've no idea about there). There has been considerable excitement about the new airfix Buccaneer, which has now been released. There is currently one in the WiP and one in the Ready For Inspection section. Both have now been pushed to page 2 of each section (at this moment) by yet more Spitfires, Bf-109 and Mustangs. They are the ones that people want to build and see, hence why each company wants those in their range. Whilst every member of this forum won't show their work, from what I see the majority of builds are these limited range of bankers.

The rest will sell slowly compared to these. How many casual modellers will even know what a Gina or a Buccaneer is? Spitfire or Mustang? More will probably be aware of them.

Jeff

I get the argument for the ME Bf-109, Spitfire, P-51 Mustang..........no right minded kit manufacturer is going to pass up the opportunity to introduce at least one of these icons into their catalogue since it is bound to be a commercially attractive proposition.......and whilst the F-104 is another icon from a different age (and, BTW, one of my favourities too) I simply cannot see the commercial viability in producing one so soon after the Kinetic kit. I realise there is a Asian market for the F-104 given its Service with Japan, Pakistan and Taiwan but judging by the amount of Japanese literature that I have seen on the other types I have listed (much of which I have got), I feel sure they would be equally well received, particularly as there is no real competition on the market (unlike that which will be on the market when the AMK F-104 kit hits the shelves - Kinetic have already released German, Japanese and Taiwanese boxings of their kit).

Mark   

• Like 1

I may understand some of the types listed as potentially better seller than an F-104 (not that I believe they actually would... an F-104 in the Far East markets is going to be many times more interesting than a Mirage F.1 or a Jaguar...), but a G.91 ???

Really, just look at the existing kits: Revell issued a new 1/72 G.91 in 1999, reboxed it some 3 years later and then the kit has been very scarcely available since. Had this kit been such a hit it would have remained in the catalogue for much longer. Granted, it wasn't a great kit but wasn't worse than other stuff Revell issued in later years.

Italeri have the Esci kit in their catalogue, but again the kit has been in and out of production over the years. Again, the same Italeri has retained in production other kits but not this one... Of course this is another not great kit (or better, a kit from a different era), but would a very good one sell any better ? If both Revell and Italeri don't keep in constant production kits that they already have in house, could it be that they have seen how many the market can absorb per year ?

Now in 1/72 Meng have issued a nice kit not too many years ago, don't know how well this is doing in terms of sales, in any case I've seen them on sale more than once...

Don't get me wrong, I like the G.91 and have a few in my stash... but I would hardly consider this type like a guaranteed seller. It would be a perfect candidate for those manufacturers that make kits in the low thousands, not for companies that need to turn out at least 10,000 pieces per production run. Said that, I seem to remember some rumour about a 1/48 G.91 coming in the near future, but can't remember where I heard this

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2019 at 8:30 AM, ABeck said:

Shizuoka 2020:

Tamiya announces  a retooled P-51 and Lanc in 48th

Hasegawa shows their new tool Bf 109 G and announces a new tool series of F-4s (with extensive slide molding), also 48th

Rumours also tell that GWH, Kinetic and another Chinese brand work on Tomcats and Phantoms, GWH also on a Starfighter

In the next 18 months at least three or four injection molded SR-71 / YF-12 will come out.

Kitty Hawk announces a 32nd Pucara.

Takom goes into aircraft models and shows a 3D print of a 48th Gina, Phantoms in consideration.

And more Starfighters to come…...

This is a great news! Havent seen new tool Hasegawa in a long time. I had always thought Hasegawa stopped making any new kits. 

On 9/22/2019 at 6:45 AM, ABeck said:

Sorry, a bit off topic:

AccMin announced the Beau very very early on a leaflet. Typical beginners mistake. Tamiya then jumped on the train to beat out an advancing competitor and hastily issued their own kit. In a way the same happened with the Mossie. AccMin was working on a 32nd Mosquito and the big T got knowledge about this, hastily sent a research team to the UK and made their own, starting with the 48th kit.

This must not be generalized. Many, if not most, double, tripple or even  quadruple approaches to the same object are based on independent decisions.

AMK has made at least two severe mistakes in their strategy, hope they learnt. No 1 is to announce a kit too early and no 2 ist the Achilles heel of all new brands: the need to build up a trustful and reliable marketing line to serve the customers LONG BEFORE the product is ready for the market.

Regards

Andreas Beck

Then same happened with F-14D  I guess. AMK announced their F-14D 200 years ago and made a mess of their marketing by giving release dates time and again and not keeping it. Tamiya came from nowhere, showed their F-14D in a show and it was out in a few months. Still, I would think AMK is a great kit and looks like what a modern kit should look like. Tamiya is typical in its style - great kit but its plastic molding stuck in 90s.  

On 9/20/2019 at 11:34 AM, Homebee said:

Avantgarde Model Kits (AMK) is reported by MMCT Facebook Group as working on a 1/48th Lockheed F-104G Starfighter kit - ref.

Considering the MMCT support to the project I guess we can expect soon or later a RoCAF "long nose" F-104G with the HIAC-1 LOROP system - http://www.916-starfighter.de/F-104_ROCAF_LOROP_H.Prins.pdf 

To be followed

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MilitaryModelingSRG/permalink/2374473086101901/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MilitaryModelingSRG/permalink/2374473086101901/

70335155-10156377270389147-4100320847024

71037559-222230435408268-864483186325009

Original box art as anonymously published on January 4th, 2019.

Note the two - wrong and now disappeared - characteristical F-104S additional ventral fins.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MilitaryModelingSRG/permalink/2209396522609559/

49206529-160869538211025-276806028143833

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg&key=454549e46694cda5ab5f

Is it just me or is there something not quite right with the rear of the aircraft? Just behind the trailing edge of the wing.

19 minutes ago, MarcV said:

Is it just me or is there something not quite right with the rear of the aircraft? Just behind the trailing edge of the wing.

Come on Marc. It's just an artist drawing. So nothing of importance for this future (or not) kit.

V.P.

24 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Come on Marc. It's just an artist drawing. So nothing of importance for this future (or not) kit.

V.P.

I was kidding V.P.😃!

I was alluding to the f-14 kit, the hype and hysteria of which was surpassed only by the US elections.

Nobody understands my humour I guess.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MarcV said:

I was kidding V.P.😃!

I was alluding to the f-14 kit, the hype and hysteria of which was surpassed only by the US elections.

Nobody understands my humour I guess.

But at least I have one.

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, Lusitanian said:

Is the AMK company still in business?  I have heard no news or other mention of them in two years or longer time.  

Best wishes!

They have been releasing new boxes of the Mig-31 and most recently the F-14,with extra 3D printed parts for weapons and gear bays etc. Green boxes instead of the red/carmine ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I am beginning to wonder if AMK only made this announcement to hinder the sales of the Kinetic F-104 that was released the same year.  It's been over 3 years and AMK STILL has nothing to show.  Each year I reached out to AMK on Facebook and each time they replied with "Soon." 🙄

On 10/1/2022 at 3:19 PM, Lusitanian said:

Is the AMK company still in business?  I have heard no news or other mention of them in two years or longer time.  

Best wishes!

On 10/1/2022 at 3:23 PM, dreamwriter said:

They have been releasing new boxes of the Mig-31 and most recently the F-14,with extra 3D printed parts for weapons and gear bays etc. Green boxes instead of the red/carmine ones.

I’m sure I saw mention, when the first AMK kits appeared, that AMK is a brand name of a company for which model kits are more of a sideline to a much larger injection moulding business.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I’m sure I saw mention, when the first AMK kits appeared, that AMK is a brand name of a company for which model kits are more of a sideline to a much larger injection moulding business.

They are yes. Before they released the F-14, to justify all the delays, Sio Seihoi mentioned that they could only manufacture the kits when the machines weren't being used by the factory main business. But from what it seemed at the time, that only had influence on the sprues production, not the design of the kits so, its indeed weird that no info about their announced projects has come out for more then a year now. 

AMK has just released (on 10/12/2022 !) a 1/48th Mil Mi-17 helicopter kit. A joint venture with Czech distributor Annetra.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989250-148-mil-mi-17-mi-8mt-hip-by-annetra/&do=findComment&comment=4552375

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1