1/48 - Lockheed F-104G Starfighter by Avantgarde Model Kits (AMK) - box art

Homebee

Sorry, a bit off topic:

AccMin announced the Beau very very early on a leaflet. Typical beginners mistake. Tamiya then jumped on the train to beat out an advancing competitor and hastily issued their own kit. In a way the same happened with the Mossie. AccMin was working on a 32nd Mosquito and the big T got knowledge about this, hastily sent a research team to the UK and made their own, starting with the 48th kit.

This must not be generalized. Many, if not most, double, tripple or evenĀ  quadruple approaches to the same object are based on independent decisions.

AMK has made at least two severe mistakes in their strategy, hope they learnt. No 1 is to announce a kit too early and no 2 ist the Achilles heel of all new brands: the need to build up a trustful and reliable marketing line to serve the customers LONG BEFORE the product is ready for the market.

Regards

Andreas Beck

• Like 2

On 9/22/2019 at 6:50 AM, Tbolt said:

Because what probably often happens in this situationĀ is a company spends a long while planning researching and doing a lot of the CAD work before they go public. So when another company announces a subject that you've already spent good time and money on, you have to make the decision if it's worth continuing the project or not.Ā Look what happen with the 1/48th scale P-51's over the last few years - all three companies probably started the project long before any of them were announced.

Yes, going by the tone of Martin's initial post on Facebook, it was very much along the lines that someone else [on an online discussion group] had announced this a bitĀ before AMK wished...or at least that was inference I took from his words.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jordi said:

Ā 

The Kinetic kit that just came out is absolutely gorgeous. Ā Seems like AMK is at best going to be a "me too" effort. Ā What a waste.

There is a big quality gap between AMK and KINETIC. If AMK are soon to release an F104, I will definitely wait... to buy both lol.

Especially if any comes out with Portuguese or Greek decals.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

It happened to Accurate Miniatures back in the mid 1990's , they had a 1/48 Beaufighter series set for release and were beaten to it by Tamiya. The AM release never saw the light of day. I believe Dragon (?) were going to release a 1/48 A/B-26 Invader and Revell-Monogram released one first.

There are rumors, or were, that the Revell Beaufighter is the Accurate Miniatures kit. So perhaps it was secretly released.

1 hour ago, Jordi said:

I disagree. Ā I have kits from both companies. Ā Have you actually seen any of the newer ā€œgoldā€ Kinetic kits? Ā They are very nearly the equal of Tamiyaā€™s latest. Ā The surface detail is exceptionally fine, and the parts fit is superb. Ā Their F-104 is an absolutely outstanding model kit.

Ā 

AMK, on the other hand, has very coarse, heavy panel detail on every one of their kits that I have seen or purchased. Ā The Hobby Craft MiG-31 is more accurate, more detailed, and has much finer surface detail than the much-ballyhooed AMK kit.

Well, this is totally subjective. I love the AMK panel lines and personally, I find the level of detail superior than that offered by Tamiya, especially in areas like the wheel bays etc.

Kinetic got in the market a fantastic Su-33, only that this is not KINETIC and then this was followed by the M-346 which I have not seen in live. So not really that thrilled from the "gold" KINETIC line of products. At least not yet.

3 hours ago, LUCIANO007 said:

There is a big quality gap between AMK and KINETIC. If AMK are soon to release an F104, I will definitely wait... to buy both lol.

Especially if any comes out with Portuguese or Greek decals.

Did Portugal operate the F-104?

Ā 

Jeff

2 hours ago, Jordi said:

Absolutely untrue. Ā Where do people get this kind of balderdash from anyway?Ā  I know the gentleman who designed the Revell Beaufighter, and Accurate Miniatures was long since part of history long (years) before he ever started working it, and he did the work for Revell 100% from scratch.

What they should have done though is using the company that tooled the AM kits...Ā 

3 hours ago, Jordi said:

I disagree. Ā I have kits from both companies. Ā Have you actually seen any of the newer ā€œgoldā€ Kinetic kits? Ā They are very nearly the equal of Tamiyaā€™s latest. Ā The surface detail is exceptionally fine, and the parts fit is superb. Ā Their F-104 is an absolutely outstanding model kit.

Ā 

AMK, on the other hand, has very coarse, heavy panel detail on every one of their kits that I have seen or purchased. Ā The Hobby Craft MiG-31 is more accurate, more detailed, and has much finer surface detail than the much-ballyhooed AMK kit.

I agree that the new KInetic F-104 is outstanding. I have it.Ā 

But obviously you havenā€™t seen the AMK Fouga Magister which I also happen to own.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2019 at 14:30, ABeck said:

Shizuoka 2020:

Tamiya announcesĀ  a retooled P-51 and Lanc in 48th

Hasegawa shows their new tool Bf 109 G and announces a new tool series of F-4s (with extensive slide molding), also 48th

Rumours also tell that GWH, Kinetic and another Chinese brand work on Tomcats and Phantoms, GWH also on a Starfighter

In the next 18 months at least three or four injection molded SR-71 / YF-12 will come out.

Kitty Hawk announces a 32nd Pucara.

Takom goes into aircraft models and shows a 3D print of a 48th Gina, Phantoms in consideration.

And more Starfighters to comeā€¦...

Ā 

:beer:

Ā 

XPLBr51i-400x400.jpg

Ā 

V.P.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BundesluftwaffeĀ Taktisches Ausbildungskommando der Luftwaffe in PortugalĀ (Luftwaffe Tactical Training Command in Portugal).

One-O-FourĀ :winkgrin:

Picture source:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gerrit_kok_collection/8323197204

http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/Colors/2099sp.htm

Ā 

8323197204-115b33316a-b.jpg

Ā 

V.P.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

Not only it's a very nice picture, it's also a set of markings that I've never seen before !

I would probably not build a model in this scheme because I prefer schemes carried during the operational life of an aircraft (this was repainted after being used as gate guardian), but it's a vey nice scheme nonetheless

32 minutes ago, Jordi said:

Ā 

One of the few NATO members that never operated the F-104. Ā A pity - a Portuguese F-104 would have been beautiful!

This is only a hobby and meant to be fun so maybe this calls for a "what-if".Ā  I am sure at some point they must have considered F-104's so it is not that outlandish.Ā  Lockheed probably had sales literature with what-if 104's all over them.

• Like 4

On 9/23/2019 at 10:59 PM, LUCIANO007 said:

Then I guess I will be waiting for a very long time (sorry guys, thought they did) šŸ˜œšŸ˜œšŸ˜œ

Don't worry about it. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't build one. It's your model. Build and paint it any way you like!šŸ˜Š

Ā 

Allan

• Like 1

Source:Ā https://www.facebook.com/avantgardemodelkits/photos/a.524746031023562/1346545172176973/

Ā 

**OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT**

Hi, All,

Yes! This is the official announcement! Many of you may already know.

Tomcat is leaving the door of our factory. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your comments online these years!

So now, we are doing it again since the ever beginning to announce:

In co-operating with Military Modeling Club Taiwan, we are putting F-104 Starfighter on our SCHEDULE!

The DESIGN concepts are:
1. As AMK weapons, all slide molded weapons.
2. Single piece slide molded fuselages. NOT one, but TWO. Clicking 2 single piece fuselages into wings to have the main shape the aircraft will be challenge to our designing skill. Hope we can make it!
3. In addition to normal version, we will have another version with FULL INTERNAL STRUCTURES.
4. Same as other AMK kits, DEATILS will be as much as we can do.

You are free to give us your opinions. Red, green, or blue lines are all welcome! But please do it in our designing stage but not after the molds are done.

There will be no Preorder, and no release date yet. Probably, we will take 1-2 years to get it done. If you are complain about the long lead time, go check the C-17 please.

Hope you like this!

Cheers!

Sio, and the AMK Team, in Co-operation with Military Modeling Club Taiwan.

Ā 

71298019-1346545178843639-59049986652268

Ā 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just what we need......another F-104 in 1:48 scale !

Ā 

And BEFORE anyone comes out with that boring age-old "If they don't have it in their catalogue they are not making any money" adage (which is pretty obvious !), the argument I would make is that, right now, any company willing to produce an accurate and easy to assemble 1:48 scale Fiat G-91R Gina, SEPECAT Jaguar, AV-8B Harrier II, Dassault Mirage F.1 or Blackburn Buccaneer is likely to make more from this investment than another F-104 to compete with the superb Kinetic kit and not-too-shabby (especially with the DACO improvement set) Hasegawa kit.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

Just what we need......another F-104 in 1:48 scale !

Ā 

And BEFORE anyone comes out with that boring age-old "If they don't have it in their catalogue they are not making any money" adage (which is pretty obvious !), the argument I would make is that, right now, any company willing to produce an accurate and easy to assemble 1:48 scale Fiat G-91R Gina, SEPECAT Jaguar, AV-8B Harrier II, Dassault Mirage F.1 or Blackburn Buccaneer is likely to make more from this investment than another F-104 to compete with the superb Kinetic kit and not-too-shabby (especially with the DACO improvement set) Hasegawa kit.

Ā 

Ā 

Amen to that!

Ā 

I'm equally tired of hearing the 'X's (insert subject of your choice) makes no money for Y' argument. While I fully accept that every manufacturer needs 'bankers' in its range to allow more adventurous subjects to be considered, I completely fail to understand why that range of 'bankers' has to be so limited. As you say, there are many, many subjects that would seem likely to be steady sellers - all of those that you list would be bought by myself and any modellers I know long before we'd buy yet more Spitfires, Bf 109Es and P-51Ds, no matter how well they're done.....

Ā 

I'm also tired of the 'don't comment if you don't like it' brigade.....I don't know how much attention manufacturers in general pay to forums like this (not much, I suspect), but assuming that they do look in now and again, if all they see is comments along the lines of 'great, a new (again, insert subject of your choice)' then we're never going to get anything different!

Ā 

One of life's great mysteries, I guess.....

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 3