Ideas? (Display supports)

j_holtslander

Aside from brass or aluminum rods what would make some good support material for suspending a “flying” model to be displayed on?

Hoping for as close to invisible as can be achieved and will want to support one or more small models from a large model.

(Imagine small space ships in flight around a large space ship that’s hanging in the air from wires.

I've used this method.

Brass square rod standard

To me the brass rod is less obvious than a thicker clear rod, but I guess it's all down to personal perception.  The little square hole is fairly inconspicuous when off the stand, though obviously not invisible like @azureglo using supermagnets. 

I like that one stand will work for several models (as long as I only display one plane at a time!).

Cheers

Will

I usually use brass or copper rod and tubes for my in-flight models. Mainly just because I like the look of them, and as I can’t hide them or make them invisible, I just polish them up and make a feature of them.

For what you’re after wouldn’t something like carbon fibre rods work? You can get it in 1 or 2mm and even down to 0.5mm.

Mart

8 hours ago, LotusArenco said:

For what you’re after wouldn’t something like carbon fibre rods work? You can get it in 1 or 2mm and even down to 0.5mm.

Didn’t realize there was such a thing. 0.5mm or smaller would be what I’d be interested in. Know of a good place to buy from?

37 minutes ago, j_holtslander said:

Know of a good place to buy from?

My go-to place for sheet styrene and other modelling bits and bobs is the 4D Model Shop, but I see that you’re across the pond so you may be better off looking for somewhere more local. Carbon fibre rod is used in scale radio control aircraft, I’m sure you’ll have somewhere supplying the RC fraternity closer to home?

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Strip-Shape/Circular-Rod/Carbon-fibre/Item/Carbon-fibre-rod/ITM3557

Edit: This place even has 0.28mm, so smaller sizes are available.

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/cured-carbon-fibre-products/carbon-fibre-rod

Mart

Edited by LotusArenco
link
  • Like 1