F187 DH Mosquito Mk 4 or Mk 6 +++ Finished +++

Paul821

Well done Paul on getting to #8, the Mossie is always a nice choice. Now as I’ve not mentioned anything ‘Antipodean’ in the recent past, I’ll just put it out there that the Mk.VI option of this kit does come with RAAF decals! 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now as I’ve not mentioned anything ‘Antipodean’ in the recent past, I’ll just put it out there that the Mk.VI option of this kit does come with RAAF decals! 

Could we come to a compromise?

Fir many years I lived very near Hunsdon Airfield. I would like to do this as an aircraft from 464 Squadron RAAF which took part in the Amiens raid. The problem is I need to source the Squadron Code letters

SB + A,F,O,T,V (only one aircraft required).

I will put a post in "Wanted"

• Like 2

I presume they would be Sky coloured letters in either 24" or 30". If so they are fairly readily available. Xtradecal X72189 £4.99 post free.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

I presume they would be Sky coloured letters in either 24" or 30". If so they are fairly readily available. Xtradecal X72189 £4.99 post free.

Thanks for that reference I have now ordered them.

• Like 2

Judging by those on my Airfix Mossies, I would guess 30", in which case Hannants only give you 2 of most of the letters - unlike the smaller sizes. 

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Entering the final week, I thought I'd better start this one. Fairly confident of completion by the deadline. Main issue will be the amount of filler needed as the fit is not as good as other Frog originals I have built and there is the requirement for a clean join for the nose. The MkIV VI requires you to saw through the fuselage.

DSC03919

As you can see on my tablet, one reference is the excellent Wingleader magazine. I cannot say it is good value for money as it is free and in my view one of the more interesting of magazines.

Edited by Paul821
cnage mis type IV for VI
  • Like 2

Hi Paul,

I built mine as a B IV, but I guess you are building yours as the FB VI which would fit with the Amiens raid. Hope it fits OK.

Pete

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 6:18 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Sawing through the fuselage, you make it sound so straightforward

It's the aftermath that is the issue. I worked according to the instructions - which may have been a mistake. If you take the front fuselage section off before joining the halves together and put the bomb-bay doors in place there is very little to form a firm joint between the remaining parts. I am now up against the rules of chemistry!

I need the two halves to join quickly enough, add the nose and  then for the putty to set. The question is how long should I allow for these to occur? o short and the joint will break and/or putty cannot be smoothed. Too long and I run out of time.

DSC03938

Position at noon BST.

This build has also fallen foul of the carpet monster in that while cutting the cannon from the sprue they went walk about. I should be able find a suitable donor from either my spares or a previously built kit.

• Like 4

The tale I am recounting here is true:

2 hours ago, Paul821 said:

while cutting the cannon from the sprue they went walk about.

Returning to my workbench to work on my P-38 Lightning, I was touching up some paintwork. As I now use Mig-Ammo paints my technique is to place  drop on a piece of scrap plastic as a pallette. Having none to hand I took a recently used one out of my waste bin - this was a butter carton and guess what the cannon were in it!

For that to happen five things were required:

the cannon fell into it

it went into the bin the right way up

I did not have another" palette" to hand

I picked that carton out (others were available)

This all happened before I emptied the bin into the wheelie bin this evening

Truly the modelling god(s) were with me today.

• Haha 4

Glad you found it. Bit like the missing nosewheel on my Shackleton -stuck to a sheet of newpaper for well over a month before I found it. A miracle it was not "recycled". I was going to offer you one of my spare sets of Frog Mossie guns but won't bother now - anyway by the time you got them it would probably be Wednesday and would have held you up.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Truly the modelling god(s) were with me today.

I'll PM you my address a little later Paul. Please tell the good lord to pop over my way, I'll try to feed and water him a little in the hope he'll hover over my modelling bench for a while! 

Cheers and all the best with the Mossie.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2019 at 3:54 PM, PeterB said:

I was going to offer you one of my spare sets of Frog Mossie guns

Thanks very much for that offer

DSC03944

Apart from the canopy every part is attached to the model and here it is awaiting priming. All I can say is it's a good job we have decent acrylic paints now as the schedule is:

prime upper side Complete Monday 14:00

dry Complete Monday 16:15

prime lower side Complete Monday 16:30

dry Complete Monday 20:30

underside paint see post below

dry see post below

upper side paint green first coat Complete Tuesday 14:20

dry

upper side paint green second coat 

dry

decals

+ paint undercart, wheels canopy and exhausts will be painted alongside the above

All to be completed before the deadline and I have a B-47 to finish!.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

As anyone who follows my builds will have realised I am not a purest when it comes to completing a model. I gave the model an overall coat of a grey primer purchased from my local hardware store, To my eye the colour is close enough to the medium grey used on the Mosquito (both upper and lower). Therefore all I have to paint is the green! This makes me even more certain this one will get into the gallery.

• Like 4

The cannons are in the bomb bay.  The bits sticking out of the front are machine guns, if somewhat oversized.  The Hispano was a long gun, placed in the nose the breaches would be in the pilot's lap, if not the navigator's.

I seem to recall making models this quickly, but it is a long time ago...

2 hours ago, Paul821 said:

As anyone who follows my builds will have realised I am not a purest when it comes to completing a model. I gave the model an overall coat of a grey primer purchased from my local hardware store, To my eye the colour is close enough to the medium grey used on the Mosquito (both upper and lower). Therefore all I have to paint is the green! This makes me even more certain this one will get into the gallery.

Hi Paul,

I was very tempted to do the same with my Hornet - Halfords grey primer is quite close to Dark Sea Grey, which I needed on the uppers. As the various paint manufacturers sometimes can't seem to agree on colours then why not - after all, Frog kits themselves often have accuracy issues!

Pete

• Like 5