Bladerunner diorama (1/24)

Thought I'd try a Blederunner theme and fool around with LEDs and electronics while doing so. This whole thing started with Fujimi's 1/24 (or maybe 1/25) Deckard's Sedan and the corresponding PE set by Paragrafix. Thought I would a couple of LEDs and ended up making a scratchbuilt base and building, adding 40 LEDS, a 5inch TFT display to play a video I edited with a series of ads and a Raspberry Pi Zero to run everything.

62z2jKp.jpg

dA1mgHe.jpg

QbkLXtJ.jpg

FvMxCy1.jpg

TSeSZcd.jpg

Y2TjINS.jpg

A shot of the electronic mess that runs it:

nNbHLW2.jpg

And a video to show it in action:

Edited by 4bo_coffee
Tags added
  • Like 42

Thank you all very much for the very encouraging comments!

14 hours ago, Anthony Kesterton said:

Excellent.  Hope you added audio too 🙂

No audio unfortunately. I tried a few things out (rain and ambient sounds), but the speakers that could fit in the structure were too small and it all sounded very squeaky, so I gave up, for now.

11 hours ago, SleeperService said:

That is superb! Very nice detail work too. It's nice to see something other than a Spinner sometimes.

Thanks! My initial idea was a Spinner, but I thought I should try and stand out of the crowd :D

Still, the last scene with the spinner on the roof, next to the giant TDK sign is still in my mind. Maybe some day...

4 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Oh wow thats really cool! Lots of cool details and I love the Buster Friendly reference!

I bow to your observational skills sir! Of the people who've seen this you are the first to point this out!

I know it played no part in the movie, but I really needed to add a reference to the very different (but equally great) plot of the book.

3 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Worth sending a few shots to Adam Savage perhaps? I know he is a MASSIVE Blade Runner fan, and I think he'd appreciate your craftsmanship.

Now that is possibly an idea worth exploring! Thanks for the tip! It was actually one of his One Day Builds videos that inspired this diorama.

George.

9 minutes ago, 4bo_coffee said:

Now that is possibly an idea worth exploring! Thanks for the tip! It was actually one of his One Day Builds videos that inspired this diorama.

George.

Even more of an excuse to send some pics to him :D

• Thanks 1

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate and THIS DIORAMA.....Amazing, really gets the feel of the movie. In no way being critial as its honestly friggin so cool, maybe try and rig up some sort of steam somewhere? A e-cig or train engine smoke or something coming from a grill would be swish. Once again inredible work.

Edited by Red Five
ADDING TEXT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once more, thanks for all the encouragement people!

22 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Even more of an excuse to send some pics to him :D

Will try it then and report here if I get a responce :D

16 hours ago, Red Five said:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate and THIS DIORAMA.....Amazing, really gets the feel of the movie. In no way being critial as its honestly friggin so cool, maybe try and rig up some sort of steam somewhere? A e-cig or train engine smoke or something coming from a grill would be swish. Once again inredible work.

Now that really made my day! Thanks!

And the steam idea is really awesome! Once my worktop is clean from my current project I will definitely try to wire and install something, probably through a street grill next to the pavement.

I will post images and a short video if I manage to get it running.

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Now, this raspberry pie, is there custard too?

I did indeed consume several raspberry pies while trying to set up the Raspberry Pi, there was custard on those 🤣

Once more, thanks everyone for the comments and ideas!

George

Edited by 4bo_coffee
Typos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CYA said:

Fabulous, you have created exactly the feel of the movie. Your skill and eye for detail is amazing!

How long did this project take?

Rob

Thank you very much! 

It took about 8 months, but with a lot of back and forth, several times I had to scrap things that did not work as intended. If I had to go about it again, knowing what I am doing, it would be closer to 5 months. 

George 

Hi George.

Even without all the lighting, that is one stunning diorama. The attention to detail is a masterclass in 'how to turn a relatively simple scene into something one could oggle for hours and never get bored'. And then of course, it's more than that because it looks stunning at night too.

Talking of details, I searched in vain for a very small wooden toy horse, with a date carved underneath. That might be a nice touch?

One question.... is this masterpiece going to be cased up?  I think it should be preserved and protected and at night, with the lights on it may look even better.

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Carts said:

Wow! One of my favourite films and you have really done it justice.

Thank you very much Carts!

9 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi George.

Even without all the lighting, that is one stunning diorama. The attention to detail is a masterclass in 'how to turn a relatively simple scene into something one could oggle for hours and never get bored'. And then of course, it's more than that because it looks stunning at night too.

Talking of details, I searched in vain for a very small wooden toy horse, with a date carved underneath. That might be a nice touch?

One question.... is this masterpiece going to be cased up?  I think it should be preserved and protected and at night, with the lights on it may look even better.

Rearguards,

Badder.

Thank you Badden!

You have read my mind about the wooden horse! It has actually already been made, but got promoted to a 2049 project I am currently designing.

And, yes, the dio spends its time in my living room, in its own glass case, it was just removed for the photos to avoid glass reflections. I would hate to have to remove dust and city grime from all the nooks and crannies 😆

George

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Brilliant! :thumbsup:

The TFT screen with the adds is amazing - I assume there is no WIP thread soemwhere?

Rene

Thank you Rene!

Unfortunately no WIP thread, I was not in the habit of documenting my process, which is something I really regret on this one!

I have started taking much more photos of my builds from now on.

George

• Like 1