Hawker Hurricane Airfix 1/72

Dric

Hello All,

It's my first "active" post on Britmodeller. First because I build slowly, and secondly because I don't speak (write in this particular case) a very fluent English.

Anyway I'm glad to share today pictures of the build of a 1/72 Hawker Hurricane. The bird is now almost finished, but more on this later.

I am indebted to the members of this forum whose topics on the Hurricane (the real one or the various kits) are a wonderful source of information, so Thank you! 

Any comment is welcome 😀

My first job with this nice model was to thin the trailing edge and to mastic some panels on the wings.

I like to present the models with an open hatch, so I chose here to open the radio door (also, it must be said, because I did not have the courage to open the one from the below of the cockpit 🙃)

Evergreen and Plastruct profiles make it possible to furnish the fuselage a little. EZ line is used for the wires of the fuselage tube structure.

spacer.png

For the cockpit side I use as templade an Eduard photoetched set, I just modify the left one to have a more accurate representation of the early machine.

spacer.png

First paint, I tried to add some deep to the inside and I figure it first with black and white paint as pre-shading.

spacer.png

Green Red and Aluminium pshiit later. I added some light with white and silver, and some deep with oil washes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Et hop just before closing the fuselage.

For the paint I try to figure the various material used on the aircraft by using various shades. I chose a deco with small red and blue cockades so the original shape of the old cockade was painted too with a darker shade.

spacer.png

The dark earth was masked before applying the green

spacer.png

spacer.png

I like the black and white underside look of these early birds

spacer.png

I was not happy with the marking in decals. A picture of the machine that I wanted to represent allowed me to draw codes, I think,  more conform in their form and thickness. UI use a cutter printer to make new mask.

spacer.png

I keep however the design of the underside serials as template for mask and painted them too.

spacer.png

After the traditionnal varnish, decals, varnish it was time for first weathering with some color pencil chipping and oil working.

spacer.png 

Same (light) punishement for the underside. I wanted to keep the aircraft relatively clean.

spacer.png

Just the time to add the landing lights

spacer.png

And it was the moment to put the aircraft on it's base.

Thanks for reading till now
Dric

• Like 29

I like to make a small scene with the models. I choose first to put the Hurricane inside a A type hangar and found a lot of beautiful picture about over the Bicester aerodrom.

spacer.png

So i try to place the elements of the scene on a white sheet of paper.  However I failed to find the right disposition as I tried to breack the monotony of right angles. So I choosed another way to present the bird.

After loocking for period hangar (we are in the summer of 1939 😁) . From pictures and with the help of people from Airfield Research group I found that Bellmann type hangar will be perfect for my purpose.

The fist job was to estimate the dimensions of the thing and then to take out the corrugated plasticard.

What is fine with the Bellmann is that the structure for maintain the doors are attached to the building. So it leave more space on the scene

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was time to crate the plate from apron

spacer.png

spacer.png

Again I tried to breack perpendiculars and place the plate with an angle.

Original colours of Bellman seems to have been black 

spacer.png

And during and after the Munich crisis (if I understand well) they were camouflaged

spacer.png

The rear of the hangar was used for publicity purpose 😁

spacer.png

Finally I would like to present the Hurricane in fligt, so lets go for a threstle

spacer.png

I'm ready now to fill empty spaces with some accessories

• Like 26

Dric,

A couple of things- firstly, your English is better than mine, and I've been speaking it all my life! Secondly, your Hurricane is outstanding, and outstanding modeling speaks for itself, no matter the language! Very, very nice build; the detailing is  excellent, and the scheme you chose is not easy to do convincingly in THE scale, but you have managed it well! Now, you need an early flat-topped canopy Airfix Spitfire Mk 1 to go along with this little beauty! Welcome to Britmodeller!

Mike

P.S. Seeing as you are from Switzerland, I'm betting you speak French, German, and English fluently  whereas I speak only English, a little Spanish, and a lot of vulgar! 😜

• Like 1

First of all thanks a lot for your kind comments.

And secondly some accesories to put alongside the bird.

I would like to add some colors with a Putt Putt Trolley. The model I chose is like this one

spacer.png

There is a Matador model in the right scale however I take the option to build mine.

As for the Bellmann the first work was to try to obtain some informations about the size and proportions of the trolley. Then the building process begin with the chassis ("L" and square evergreen profile), the Swiss "Chalet" (aka the box for batterys) and the wood shelter in front of the chalet (aka the electric box)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not 100% accurate, but I will do with, it look's like a putt putt.

The drawbar is in tinned copper wire. I made first a thick plastic card template to curve the wire and then solderered everithing together. 

It's important first to annealing the copper first so it will keep the shape you give it. I will cut it later to the right size.

spacer.png

And for the moment I will do the wheels. Ahhhh the wheels. Firt I tried to use some panzer wheels (Tiger wheels to be precise) but they are a bit undersized. So I made mine. in a 2mm plastic card.

I added some nuts. Not to bad, I will keep it.

spacer.png

As I'm not able to machining a second wheel that would be like the first one I choos to try for the first time the resin molding. So the firs wheel became a master.

spacer.png

And after doing the silicon mould it was time to cast the PU resin.

spacer.png

Pas mal, at least I will keep it. Details on the nuts are not perfect, I will cut them and do them again on plastic.

On the Putt Putt there is a generator. In facts a small "Jap" engine (Jap was a British firm that produced engines that were also used on motorcycles) and an electric motor, user to load the battery of the cart.

The engine look like this (I work in mm 😁)

spacer.png

And when all is glued on the chassis it look like this

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finaly with the wheels and the drawbar

spacer.png 

The Putt Putt is tail seater (because of the copper of the drawbar), anyway ther is a crutch on the real thing so it's not a problem. I will just change the height of the small wheel to give to the trolly a different angle.

Thanks for reading

Cedric 

Edited by Dric
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for your comments 😁

Not to far from the end now with this project. I added a rolling workbench whith its vice

20191026_171714.jpg?raw=1

and finalize the paint job on the Putt-Putt

20191026_165857.jpg?raw=1

Then I add some deco on the base's edges. It's a print from drawing and pics arranged with "Inkscape"

20191027_225119.jpg?raw=1

20191027_225942.jpg?raw=1

Finally for today some others accesories

20191027_230210.jpg?raw=1

See you

Cedric

• Like 20

Blimey.... now that's inspirational! Thank goodness you posted this here. That's a high standard of work to inspire... and I've two 72nd airfix hurricanes to build... and was hoping to do some detail as I spend some professional time with real ones.... but that work is just amazing.

Jonathan