Coiled Springs (RAF Police Dog Handlers)

Matt P

Just finished this little vignette depicting a couple of 1970s-80s RAF Police dog handlers taking a break on site.  Landrover is a Revell series 3 with scratch built blue light and rolled canvas at the back. Figures are from DJ Parkin and dogs are Sovereign 2000.  Base is a scrap of oak kitchen top and fence is from Diodump in Holland.

spacer.png

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 37

Great work and a brilliant subject (ok as an ex army dog handler I'm a bit biased). It's inspired me to dig out a half finished landrover I've got lying around somewhere. nice job!

Edited by Wagtail
Autocorrect got it wrong again
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great diorama as the others have said.  Very well done on the DP trousers paintwork.

As an ex-RAF techie I would always show my ID card to the dog, we always thought they were the brains of the outfit (sorry @Wagtail )!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

On 9/19/2019 at 6:05 PM, Wez said:

Great diorama as the others have said.  Very well done on the DP trousers paintwork.

As an ex-RAF techie I would always show my ID card to the dog, we always thought they were the brains of the outfit (sorry @Wagtail )!

Brains on chains! in the RAF the difficulty was having  to work out which was the intelligent end of the chain!

An excerpt from a RAF police dog handler annual assessment:

"This corporal is impeding the career of a very good police dog!"

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

• 6 months later...

Great Diorama, shouldn’t they be gonking in the back of the Landie though? 😆

Even in the darkest depths of a RAFG winter, I never saw a cold or wet Handler!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RAFP8911 said:

You are dead right, although I had to pose them awake and standing up in the interests of 'artistic licence'. 

I remember leaving my jacket outside in the rain while I sat in 25sqn tea room, just in case the boss came out and I had to dash to the gate looking wet! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, RAFP8911 said:

At Wildenwrath the OC Police checked night patrol mileages so they could not park up and gonk.  As the Landrover speedo ran off the transmission someone had the idea to jack up the back wheels and have the engine running in gear so the speedo clocked up while they were gonking.  Unfortunately they must have rocked it off the jack and they shot forward and ended up jammed in a ditch.  To avoid their trick being found out they claimed they were chasing intruders and ended up in the ditch. 

• Haha 6

That is a  Really nice dio, excellent base, great ground work  and vehicle. and a great representation of a pair of Her Majesty's finest Land Sharks and a couple of 'Acting Corporals'  🙂 Has anyone done the 'Brain on a Chain' line yet?

Oh. OK I'll get me coat.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not sure I ever saw one of their Landies anything less than super shiny unless their new 18yr old Acting Cpl had taken it accidentally off road :hmmm:

Great scene, great build.  Love it ! :thumbsup:

Great comments also.

Cheers

Gaz

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kiwitrogg said:

I'm not sure I ever saw one of their Landies anything less than super shiny unless their new 18yr old Acting Cpl had taken it accidentally off road :hmmm:

Great scene, great build.  Love it ! :thumbsup:

Great comments also.

Cheers

Gaz

The wagons at Laarbruch & Bruggen in particular were definitely not shiny. After a busy night shift racing through the woods and hill 60 they needed more than a good wash, and more than often a quick touch up with some green paint and large hairy stick! 

Remember being called back in off nights to clean them by the sqn ldr after a particularly 'dirty weekend' 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, RAFP8911 said:

No wonder, at Wildenrath, the dog handlers spent more time sat in 19(F) Sqn Stores HES27 drinking teas than they ever did patrolling Battle Flight !! Sure that Phone Phixer remembers the RAFP Hawson parked outside. Good guys though. 

One night while sharing a brew with a Dog handler, Techie came in for a black box.  I went down the back of the HES to get the unit off of the racking,

totally forgotting the land shark chained up down there.  Christ on a bike, I soon remembered when this four legged furry beastie was snarling about an

inch from my face. 

• Like 2