Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Roger Newsome

A couple of KV-1 questions.

Recommended Posts

I've started going round in circles searching for the answers, if there are definitive ones, to these two queries,

1. Does the commanders hatch open forwards, backwards or is it as I assume on a internal ring that can be swiveled and opened in any direction?

2. What colour is the inside of the hatch?

 

Thanks in advance,

Roger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye up Roger,

 

Just been having a google and majority of KV I period pics show the hatch hinged to the rear with one or two hinged to the right. It may depend on the actual version of the KV I or as you say its on a swivel. As regards the colour... I would assume it was the same as the tank exterior like it was on Allied Armour.

 

Hope this helps,

 

Regards.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Roger,

 

Just been having a google and majority of KV I period pics show the hatch hinged to the rear with one or two hinged to the right. It may depend on the actual version of the KV I or as you say its on a swivel. As regards the colour... I would assume it was the same as the tank exterior like it was on Allied Armour.

 

Hope this helps,

 

Regards.

 

Steve

Thanks very much Steve, that's pretty much the conclusion I came to following some Googling I thought I'd ask the question rather than rely on my own assumptions as I know where that often leads. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the youtube channel incredibly helpful. Cant see much KV1 related but they do tonnes of different tanks and afvs both inside and out and its interesting too

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I find the youtube channel incredibly helpful. Cant see much KV1 related but they do tonnes of different tanks and afvs both inside and out and its interesting too

Thanks for that I'll take a look, if I can't find what I'm looking for re. KV-1's I'm sure I'll find something else of interest. 👍🏼

Roger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the delay but just noticed this. All the KV 1 turret hatches opened to the rear (all the driver's hinged to the front). Inside was 4BO with a very few exceptions. 

 

I'm a bit of a KV fanboy so just tag me @ followed by my username (no space) and I'll help as soon as I see it. As most KVs were re-built several times all sorts of combinations could appear but a very few things were consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Sorry for the delay but just noticed this. All the KV 1 turret hatches opened to the rear (all the driver's hinged to the front). Inside was 4BO with a very few exceptions. 

 

I'm a bit of a KV fanboy so just tag me @ followed by my username (no space) and I'll help as soon as I see it. As most KVs were re-built several times all sorts of combinations could appear but a very few things were consistent.

That's great, thank you very much!

Also thanks for the offer of assistance, I might be in touch. 😁

Roger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to say 4BO too, because generally, the interior of turret hatches of all nations were painted the external colour as using the interior colour would make it stick out like a sore thumb from the air.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

Edited by nheather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, nheather said:

I was going to say 4BO too, because generally, the interior of turret hatches of all nations were painted the external colour as using the interior colour would make it stick out like a sore thumb from the air.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

That makes sense, so if a tank was whitewashed for winter camouflage I assume the inside of the hatches would be whitewashed too? 

Just in case at some point I decided to paint a Soviet tank in winter camouflage with open hatches. 😉

Roger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

That makes sense, so if a tank was whitewashed for winter camouflage I assume the inside of the hatches would be whitewashed too? 

Just in case at some point I decided to paint a Soviet tank in winter camouflage with open hatches. 😉

Roger.

Good question - never thought about whitewashed vehicles.  I guess that would be down to individual tank crews that applied the whitewash.  My personal thoughts are that have a dark blotch on a whitewashed tank is not as bad as have a white/cream blotch on a dark green tank, so maybe whitewashing the insides of hatches wasn't so critical.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nheather said:

Good question - never thought about whitewashed vehicles.  I guess that would be down to individual tank crews that applied the whitewash.  My personal thoughts are that have a dark blotch on a whitewashed tank is not as bad as have a white/cream blotch on a dark green tank, so maybe whitewashing the insides of hatches wasn't so critical.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

I can imagine them whitewashing the tanks in the field with the hatches closed and at some point later opening the hatch and realising they'd forgotten it.

Roger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt that they would bother whitening the inside of the hatches at all.  The white covering wasn't paint, it was a chalky semi-permanent covering like lime-wash.  It could be removed with water and a stiff brush, or heavy rain too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mike Starmer said:

I doubt that they would bother whitening the inside of the hatches at all.  The white covering wasn't paint, it was a chalky semi-permanent covering like lime-wash.  It could be removed with water and a stiff brush, or heavy rain too. 

Impeccable timing! Thank you very much Mike. 

Roger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...