This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

CedB

Blackbird M-21 + Drone RFI - Italeri 1/72

Phil ( @HP42 ) has been very kind in giving me some kits to help with his 'stash reduction' - thanks Phil! Here's the latest completion… WiP thread here.

The kit gives three options but only one allows the drone to be included and I really want to include the drone, so it's a non-black Blackbird, M-21 #60-6940 as on display at the Seattle Museum of Flight in Tukwila, WA

Built OOB the WiP brought up several issues with the kit's representation of the M-21, mainly the rear end and the placement of the refuelling port. As a kit basher I have, of course, ignored these.

The black bits are Stynylrez black primer with some Revell Anthracite variation. Silver bits Tamiya XF-16 Aluminium on the main aircraft and X-32 Titanium on the drone, both 'enhanced' with AK True Metal paste for variation. Pilots (can you see them?) are PJ Productions high-altitude French pilots.

48758644731_b5bfb4c66e_c.jpg

48758647751_b6099aa064_c.jpg

48758653276_cb20e1ac57_c.jpg

The incorrect rear end:

48758347873_57ba8baa14_c.jpg

Should really be straight across. Ho hum.

48758347888_c8a4ddfbcf_c.jpg

48758672206_1cae0593a2_c.jpg

Those crew members? Hmmm

48758347878_01c3da1a75_z.jpg

Here are a few shots from the WiP:

48727673688_edc8d19756_z.jpg

48728179777_c5b5637dde_z.jpg

on Flickr

Yep, that looks great Ced!!! Nothing more to comment.

Cheers

Excellent finish.  Love the SR-71, it was so far ahead of its time it still looks futuristic today.

AW

Excellent job, Ced :clap::clap: 

Ciao

Definitely your best to date Ced. 

See you oop north! Well, north east anyway....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

3 hours ago, CedB said:

As a kit basher I have, of course, ignored these.

That's the spirit! Accuracy can be well down the list as long as 'fun' is near the top.

Sorry I haven't followed your build – I don't seem to have time to follow many these days.

Excellent result! I'm not sure if I've seen this scheme modelled before and I like it lots.

Stunning work, as always

Graeme

That looks fantastic, so futuristic especially in that 'silver and black' finish.  Well done

7 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Beautiful job....

Thanks Vince :) 

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yep, that looks great Ced!!! Nothing more to comment.

Cheers

Cheers Ben :) 

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Nuff said, top job

Thanks Bill (and it's not brown!) :D 

5 hours ago, Andwil said:

Excellent finish.  Love the SR-71, it was so far ahead of its time it still looks futuristic today.

AW

Thanks AW - certainly does look like something from a Sci-Fi movie doesn't it? :) 

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Excellent job, Ced :clap::clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Definitely your best to date Ced. 

See you oop north! Well, north east anyway....

Ian

Thanks Ian :) You're coming to Telford? Great!

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

That's the spirit! Accuracy can be well down the list as long as 'fun' is near the top.

Sorry I haven't followed your build – I don't seem to have time to follow many these days.

Excellent result! I'm not sure if I've seen this scheme modelled before and I like it lots.

Thanks Gorby, and don't worry if you're missing 'some detail' - I seem to be on a roll at the moment :) 

1 hour ago, Serkan Sen said:

Impressive work Ced!..

I will build some Blackbird versions when I finish running Flanker projects...

937.jpg

Serkan

Wow Serkan, that painting is great! :) 

13 minutes ago, dbay133 said:

Stunning work, as always

Graeme

Thanks Graeme :) 

6 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

That looks fantastic, so futuristic especially in that 'silver and black' finish.  Well done

Thanks V :) 

Great work, both birds !

Both finishes are.....SUPERB!

Best regards Djordje

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Wow Serkan, that painting is great! :)

Thanks Ced. I am improving my skills. Have a look what I have done in this "what if" project.

Serkan

Lovley 

Said it in the wip thread Ced but that must be your best yet - cracking job! :thumbsup:

Keith

11 hours ago, CedB said:

48758672206_1cae0593a2_c.jpg

Now that’s an angle. 🙌  beautiful. Simply beautiful. 🥳

4 hours ago, djos said:

Great work, both birds !

Both finishes are.....SUPERB!

Best regards Djordje

Thanks Djordje :) 

4 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Thanks Ced. I am improving my skills. Have a look what I have done in this "what if" project.

Serkan

Thanks Serkan :) Not 'my theme' usually but I'll have a look.

3 hours ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thanks Richard :) 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Said it in the wip thread Ced but that must be your best yet - cracking job! :thumbsup:

Keith

Cheers matey :) 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Now that’s an angle. 🙌  beautiful. Simply beautiful. 🥳

Isn't it? I'll try to hang her something like that I think :) 

That is a beautiful model! The metallic work is astonishing.

But I'm really, really (really) surprised that there is no accurate kit of the A-12 (a modified version of which the drone is sitting on) or the SR-71, in 1/72. The Italeri YF-12 is the closest to accurate in the Italian family. The SR-71 has an inaccurate nose. I have built the SR-71, widening its nose in plan view and made an A-12 using Kiwi's modification kit. But it's still strange that one of the world's most impressive and best-known planes has to be represented by inaccurate kits. For instance, just look at rear end of all models, where the poor old Blackbird is given a 'full nappy' as one assessor of all the kits called it!

Thanks Tony :) 

I guess the kit manufacturers are unaware of the interest / knowledge of the type out there… I've certainly learned a lot during this build.

6 hours ago, Tony Grand said:

That is a beautiful model! The metallic work is astonishing.

But I'm really, really (really) surprised that there is no accurate kit of the A-12 (a modified version of which the drone is sitting on) or the SR-71, in 1/72. The Italeri YF-12 is the closest to accurate in the Italian family. The SR-71 has an inaccurate nose. I have built the SR-71, widening its nose in plan view and made an A-12 using Kiwi's modification kit. But it's still strange that one of the world's most impressive and best-known planes has to be represented by inaccurate kits. For instance, just look at rear end of all models, where the poor old Blackbird is given a 'full nappy' as one assessor of all the kits called it!

Kiwi Models of New Zealand was working on a 1/72 A-12 in resin, but I believe they are no longer in business :-((

Thanks Bill :) This thread implies that Alley Cat have bought them? There may be hope… although their website has gone.

19 hours ago, Tony Grand said:

But I'm really, really (really) surprised that there is no accurate kit of the A-12 (a modified version of which the drone is sitting on) or the SR-71, in 1/72. The Italeri YF-12 is the closest to accurate in the Italian family. The SR-71 has an inaccurate nose. I have built the SR-71, widening its nose in plan view and made an A-12 using Kiwi's modification kit.

12 hours ago, billn53 said:

Kiwi Models of New Zealand was working on a 1/72 A-12 in resin, but I believe they are no longer in business :-((

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Bill :) This thread implies that Alley Cat have bought them? There may be hope… although their website has gone.

I have started a new thread in this forum to build all Blackbird versions as accurate as possible. Any feedback and contribution to this topic will be highly appreciated 🙂

Serkan

Nice job Ced.

Thought you had been quiet for a bit.  Turns out I missed a thread.

Off to go read.

Fantastic! I love that metal and black combination on the Blackbird. Your NMF is terrific too. Great job!